Stephen Drew...perfect example of why you didn't need to rush to sign Hardy

Sports Guy

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And from the other side, its a perfect example of why it was a good move to sign Hardy. Shortstop is such a premium that if you have a good one you keep him unless you have a damn good reason otherwise.
You mean like a good trade? Like a trade that comes up at the deadline from a desperate team?

You mean like a good trade? Like a trade that comes up at the deadline from a desperate team?

A team ready to sign over the deed to their farm and a ready answer at the position. That's a damn good reason.

A team theoretically willing to go after our guy when they could theoretically go after other guys (Reyes) and our next answer the position MAYBE two years away? A much less good reason.

A team ready to sign over the deed to their farm and a ready answer at the position. That's a damn good reason.

A team theoretically willing to go after our guy when they could theoretically go after other guys (Reyes) and our next answer the position MAYBE two years away? A much less good reason.

So, you think Hardy only signs the extension now and not in 2 weeks?

That all of his talk about wanting to be here and wanting to be in one place for a while only existed right now and not in 2 weeks?

So, you think Hardy only signs the extension now and not in 2 weeks?

That all of his talk about wanting to be here and wanting to be in one place for a while only existed right now and not in 2 weeks?

So you think the Orioles' desire to keep him would have been dimmed or bribed away in two weeks?

So you think the Orioles' desire to keep him would have been dimmed or bribed away in two weeks?
No and that's the whole problem...Did that point really fly over your head?

The fact that they weren't more open minded about things was and is the issue.

They didn't have to trade him but they could have waited to see what was out there as they got closer to the deadline.

And btw, way to avoid the question.

Well to be fair ...Even if they traded him/ had his ok to deal him he will be somewhere for 3 years. If the D-backs called I would seek his ok.

SG .... What do you think Hardy's value is in players/prospect rating? Is he more valuable that Guthrie?

Thanks in advance!

Well to be fair ...Even if they traded him/ had his ok to deal him he will be somewhere for 3 years. If the D-backs called I would seek his ok.

SG .... What do you think Hardy's value is in players/prospect rating? Is he more valuable that Guthrie?

Thanks in advance!

I think it depends on the team. Hardy is more valuable to the Giants than Guthrie is, for example.

I would have expected about the same return for Guthrie as I would Hardy...Remember, Hardy is going to be worth 2 picks this season(or would have been I should say) and that factors into his trade value a lot.

No and that's the whole problem...Did that point really fly over your head?

The fact that they weren't more open minded about things was and is the issue.

They didn't have to trade him but they could have waited to see what was out there as they got closer to the deadline.

And btw, way to avoid the question.

I didn't avoid anything.

If the Orioles weren't going to be willing to trade him in two weeks, why would it matter if the contract was signed when it was? Your assumption is that they would have just turned around and traded him despite having a deal in place and a replacement nowhere in sight, and the Diamondbacks would just give up whatever the Orioles wanted for a rental player when they could give up whatever the Mets want for a better rental player. Or, go to another team (Washington?) and find a lesser player for a far lesser price and upgraded elsewhere.

Look, we know you want to trade Hardy, and the fact that the Orioles would rather keep him and have a respectable answer at shortstop for three years instead of theoretically trading him for theoretical players who could theoretically help at some future theoretical date annoys you because it wasn't the move you wanted. But don't let that blind you to the point of not seeing other reasons that moves are and are not made.

I didn't avoid anything.

If the Orioles weren't going to be willing to trade him in two weeks, why would it matter if the contract was signed when it was? Your assumption is that they would have just turned around and traded him despite having a deal in place and a replacement nowhere in sight, and the Diamondbacks would just give up whatever the Orioles wanted for a rental player when they could give up whatever the Mets want for a better rental player. Or, go to another team (Washington?) and find a lesser player for a far lesser price and upgraded elsewhere.

Look, we know you want to trade Hardy, and the fact that the Orioles would rather keep him and have a respectable answer at shortstop for three years instead of theoretically trading him for theoretical players who could theoretically help at some future theoretical date annoys you because it wasn't the move you wanted. But don't let that blind you to the point of not seeing other reasons that moves are and are not made.

LOL

You just continue to never get it.

For you to not see the value in waiting and seeing what is out there is sad. Of course, it shows how limited your long term thinking is, which is probably why you always defend the Orioles because you think alike.

I would have traded Hardy in the right deal, no doubt about it...But you can't find out if the right deal is there if you don't bother to find out.

But since you are ok with treading water, I can see why you don't understand this.

LOL

You just continue to never get it.

For you to not see the value in waiting and seeing what is out there is sad. Of course, it shows how limited your long term thinking is, which is probably why you always defend the Orioles because you think alike.

I would have traded Hardy in the right deal, no doubt about it...But you can't find out if the right deal is there if you don't bother to find out.

But since you are ok with treading water, I can see why you don't understand this.

So you don't think the Orioles did any research on this? That they didn't talk to other teams and other scouts and run through scenarios involving injuries and the kinds of players they could see in a trade?

Your theses is that they dove into muddy water without checking anything about the river. And if you are going to be so obtuse as to attack other posters for what you perceive as blind thought, you really should avoid practicing it yourself.

Archived