In the Long Run, Would We Be Better Off Dealing Jones?

Greg Pappas

Yes he would...As I said to RZ earlier, I would want a guy who is already a TOR starter or someone on the cusp.

He asked who would make that deal...After looking at things, I am not sure. When you put a talent like that on the block, teams may make players available that you wouldn't think would be available.

Would the Rockies trade Jimenez for him? Would the Dodgers look into Jones for fear of losing Kemp and put a guy like Billingsley on the block? What about the Giants and Matt Cain? Cain is due 15 million next year and is a FA after that.

Some other guys could be out there as well.

BTW, I am not against what Gregg is proposing either...My issue is, will we screw up the development?

While I see your logic and it is intriguing, wouldn't taking salary back kind of eliminate one of the advantags of trading him in the first place?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't mind seeing this as well but why not make the trade now so we save even more money?
The Braves might not feel that they need a player like Jones and his future cost, to get to the playoffs. I don't see them getting to the WS, so in the off season they might be more interested in 2 years of Jones with the possibility of extending him.

Pretty much. Once the O's signed Hardy, they pretty much committed to trying to win the the core they have now.

/tinfoil hat

I honestly wonder if the Orioles communicated any vague intentions they may have when negotiating with Hardy. I doubt a player would sign with a team without wanting to know the direction they were going. Not saying they will one way or the other, but maybe one of reasons Hardy resigned was because the O's said something to the effect of "We're going to go for it next year and we see you as the first step".

/tinfoil hat off

Or maybe he was just tired of moving around and was happy with a 22 million dollars.

One could look at it either way--who knows.

Of course not. Because in the real world, Felix could be flipped for a king's ransom of prospects which could significantly bolster the Orioles' system top to bottom. He'd probably net 5ish highly rated players at various stages in the minors.

Of course, in the real world, Jones alone doesn't come anywhere close to netting Felix.

You said doing a 1 for 1 for Jones would be an inexcusable waste.

So, do you feel that way or not?

I think a trade with the Braves in the off season, would be great if we could get two of their best young close to ML ready SP back, and sign Crisp.

I like this idea... or just the general idea of trading him. He could net us the most.

I have a feeling that Trea is right, and that we're going to make a run for it with our existing players.

But my pipe dream thread is still my dream.

Sure, we won't end up with Yu Darvish, but putting top young pitching with the Bundy brothers and hopefully our #1 next year should be our target, IMO. We have an opportunity to really develop an elite pitching corps and we should take it.

In this offseason, all of Jones, Markakis and Hardy would be on the table. Reynolds would be too, but I probably wouldn't trade him unless someone overpaid, because the value back would be less.

After we have the arms, we get bats. I still believe that's the way to build a team.

If Colby Rasmus happened to fall into our laps for Guts, I'd be all for exploring potential trade options for Jones in the offseason. I'm sure there would be a very good market for AJ.

Bingo...exactly my thoughts...imho he could bring back someone of value.....

Bingo...exactly my thoughts...imho he could bring back someone of value.....

If doesn't make much sense to trade Jones if you get Rasmus. Rasmus isn't a great CF, but he's better than Jones. If you move Jones to left and put Rasmus in center then you instantly improve LF without leaving a gaping hole in CF. You can then DH Reimold or leave it open for rotation. At that point all you need to do is improve first and second.

You said doing a 1 for 1 for Jones would be an inexcusable waste.

So, do you feel that way or not?

Obviously there are certain scenarios in which it'd make sense to trade Jones in a 1-for-1 deal. I'd almost certainly trade him for the second coming of Jesus Christ, for example (even if He couldn't hit a baseball, at least you'd know booze prices at Camden would come down).

Name a "realistic" 1-for-1 trade, though, and no...I don't think it'd make sense. Jimenez would not make sense. Billingsley would not make sense. Even having and keeping King Felix would not make sense. The O's are too thin across the board to trade one talented player for one other, talented player. Particularly an expensive, or soon-to-be expensive one (particularly x2 in light of the fact that part of your rationale for trading Jones is his impending price tag).

I guess I'll amend my prior statement, in case it wasn't already clear: making a 1-for-1 trade like the ones you mentioned would be an inexcusable waste.

I'd say try to extend Jones in the fall, and if you can't trade him while he has 2 years of control. He isn't a long term piece.

If Jones isn't a LT piece, who is?

Are we only talking about Machado and Britton now?

Archived