vs. YANKEES 7/29

OFFNY

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rather than changing every night? Every week? YES!

"The sails, not the wind, direct your course."

"Changing every night" has nothing to do with it. This guy flat-out sucks so badly that it is obvious to any manager that has any balls at all that he shouldn't be treated like he's Rollie Fingers.

The good news is that, now, the Orioles won't have to suffer through a 4-game sweep by the Yankees. We can at least say we picked up one, even in the likely event that they sweep us over the weekend.

A club's bats can go from hot to cold in a single day, just look at the O's last series, scoring 12 runs one game and 0 the next. I don't think tonight is an indication that the Yanks are in a slump. They'll probably come back tomorrow and score 6 or 7 runs each game, so unless we can match them, it's going to be an ugly Saturday.

Sorry for the pessimism but I don't see Tillman fooling the Yanks at all. Tonight's win was truly carried by some outstanding pitchers giving their best performance (Gregg exempted), not by a poor offering by the Yanks hitters.

To beat the Yanks like this with any modicum of regularity, we would need a starting rotation of at least three arms as solid as Guthrie's, and our "B" bullpen would have to be chock full of people who are more or less comparable in ability with Jimmy Johnson. Our bats aren't half bad (especially Hardy, Reynolds, Lee) but we just can't stand up against the Yankees game after game until we get pitchers who can command their stuff.

So what are we going to do? Trade away the two guys who are most capable of giving us wins, of course. :( :angryfire:

The good news is that, now, the Orioles won't have to suffer through a 4-game sweep by the Yankees. We can at least say we picked up one, even in the likely event that they sweep us over the weekend.

A club's bats can go from hot to cold in a single day, just look at the O's last series, scoring 12 runs one game and 0 the next. I don't think tonight is an indication that the Yanks are in a slump. They'll probably come back tomorrow and score 6 or 7 runs each game, so unless we can match them, it's going to be an ugly Saturday.

Sorry for the pessimism but I don't see Tillman fooling the Yanks at all. Tonight's win was truly carried by some outstanding pitchers giving their best performance (Gregg exempted), not by a poor offering by the Yanks hitters.

Our hitting has been no slouch lately. We can slug with these guys for at least one more win.

Archived