vs. YANKEES 7/30 (Game One)

OFFNY

Tillman might be best used in the pen. Let him go 100% for an inning or two. Starting might not be his thing.

It happens. Sucks but maybe its time to cut bait?

He certainly pitches better with bases empty.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He certainly pitches better with bases empty.

Seems like a psychological thing. People start hitting him and he becomes gun shy of throwing down the middle of the plate. What he (and so many others) fail to realize is that throwing strikes is what pushes the momentum of the at-bat back in the pitcher's favor. So why surrender that momentum to the hitter? I don't get it. He's got fantastic stuff. He could've saved himself a lot of trouble (and runs) by just continuing on from inning to inning with the same stuff.

I'm not too concerned about Tillman getting hit around a little here. As long as he has ML stuff, he'll have a chance to become a good pitcher going forward. I was more concerned when he was throwing in the high 80's with terrible command. Today is a step forward, not a step backward.

Vladdy's swing is soooo slow. He needs to start swinging when the ball leaves the glove if he wants to hit a line drive. Until then it'll be swing-and-miss or ground out.

OK, maybe exaggerated a little - but his bat speed looks measurably slower than our star hitters.

I'm not too concerned about Tillman getting hit around a little here. As long as he has ML stuff, he'll have a chance to become a good pitcher going forward. I was more concerned when he was throwing in the high 80's with terrible command. Today is a step forward, not a step backward.

I agree.

Archived