What's your take on the Koji trade?

ChaosLex

What's your take on the Koji trade?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. What's your take on the Koji trade?

Would've probably rather seen a deal with a prospect with very high ceiling, but it was still a good trade. Koji absolutely needed to be traded, and I would have taken less. Two guys who are young and have a chance to still get better is a great deal for a 36-year old, injury prone set-up guy on a non-contending team.

It's a decent haul, nothing spectacular. Davis might remain a bust and Hunter might never be anything other than a back-of-the-rotation guy, but both have some upside and fill positions of need. This might have been the best that the Orioles could find for Uehara right now.

Anytime you can trade a 30 something reliever on the last year of his deal for two guys who can come in and start for you, it's a deal worth making. That doesn't necessarily mean the guys you got back are perfect or long-term answers, because Davis and Hunter have their fair share of flaws. Davis can swing for some major power, but just like Mark Reynolds he's liable to strike out a lot, which doesn't bother me so much but the difference between the two is Reynolds does have some good plate discipline, while Davis, at the big league level at least, hasn't really shown it. Just like Jeremy Guthrie, Hunter has had some pretty average strikeout numbers throughout his career, but with less velocity than Guthrie. This isn't to say he can't contribute as a back of the rotation starter, or as a reliever, which he has done so far this season in small sample size. However, his minor league track record and early results in the majors doesn't point to him being anything super special.

The O's were better off from an organizational standpoint moving Koji given his age, and I credit them for that, and they got two guys who can come in right away and contribute. However, the jury is still out on whether they'll provide anything special over time, and with that I call this an okay haul.

I said craptacular.

Don't kid yourselves, guys. If these two players aren't already playing horrible baseball, they will be by 2012, I absolutely, positively guarantee it (you can quote me on this in 2012).

These guys will come into Baltimore and underachieve in a major way. We simply have no ability whatsoever to help players improve. The only players who have any success in our organization are those who are internally motivated, and do their entire fitness and conditioning training on their own time with their own people. The organization simply has no capability to provide the players what they need. And it's a rare player who goes out of their way beyond what the organization asks of them.

That's my guess as to why players come into Baltimore and play like ****, but there might be other additional reasons that are less tangible (such as being "cursed", etc).

Basically, Uehara was doing extremely well for us in a situation where we needed a setup man. Now, he is gone. And the pieces we hope we got in return are not going to do what we expect them to. So Texas got the better end of the trade, BY FAR. We're just too stupid to realize it.

Yeah, I don't think Hunter and Davis are worth that much. You figure if you're trading possibly the best set-up man in the game, you should at least get a higher upside return. These guys are spare parts, not difference makers.

it was a great haul as for as possible upside is concerned.

But I have seen enough of C. Davis, where I have no faith in him ever being a solid regular.

But it is the type of deal you have to do, because if he does somehow figure it out, you just hit a home run.

Though I doubt it's going to happen.

• 4 years later...
I thought it was a really good trade at the time providing 2 legit contributors. Davis obviously became much more than that. I also recall plenty of folks being cool on the deal or disliking it because we didn't get high ceiling prospects for Koji.

That is quite accurate. Sometimes a fail prospect is better.

Archived