Hunter and Davis speak on joining the O's

ChaosLex

HUNTER

[on the shock of being traded]

“I was definitely blindsided. It was definitely one of those things where you look at it and, at first, you wonder what you didn’t do. You start to question, ‘Am I not good enough or something? It’s definitely a shock, I don’t know how else to put it. I was drafted by this team, I came up through their organization. We went to the World Series last year and now I’m getting traded. It’s different. It’s definitely something that I didn’t think about. But it’s an opportunity and that’s how I look at it.”

“It’s kind of crazy when it’s the first time you go through this. But it’s something that happens in the game of baseball. I couldn’t be happier getting the pitching coach and the staff over there. Me and Rick Adair have a pretty good relationship, he was actually my first pitching coach ever. [in Texas’ Minor League system].”

[on playing for Showalter]

“I’ve heard nothing but good things, so I’m excited. I’m ready to go.”

[on playing for Showalter]

“I’ve heard nothing but good things, so I’m excited. I’m ready to go.”

DAVIS

[on his reaction to the trade]

“I think I was a little surprised that it was Baltimore. I didn’t know how much they were willing to trade me after Adrian [beltre] got hurt, but I felt like the last few weeks that a few teams asked me about and the Rangers would be willing to trade me. I had heard, San Diego, Oakland, I think when Adrian got hurt and I got called back up they were trying. It was a little bit of a shock, but I kind of expected to be traded.”

[on having a fresh start]

“It was getting to the point with Texas where it was like, ‘Ok, am I ever going to get the opportunity here again? I think [baltimore] is a great opportunity for me. It’s one that, I had an opportunity in ‘09 to really solidify myself as the everyday first baseman and ran into some troubles and had to learn how to mature as a baseball player. There were things I didn’t really run into in the Minor Leagues.

After that it was kind of a shuffle with [Justin] Smoak and myself , I was kind of thrown around from first to third to the outfield. It was tough. But [being traded] really does feel like a fresh start and a legitimate opportunity to play every day at the big league level. I had heard a few things early about Baltimore that it was a possibility…I’m excited about it.”

[on his playing style]

“I feel like I’m a very athletic guy. I’m a big guy, but I’m a very athletic for my size. I move around well for my size. I have a lot of power, I think I have the ability to hit for average and power and I think that’s going to translate the further along in my career I get.

I’m constantly learning about myself and making adjustments up here. I’m pretty confident, pretty easy going, but when it comes to baseball I’m focused. I can’t tell you how excited I am to be a part of the Oriole organization and ready to start playing.”

http://brittghiroli.mlblogs.com/

Well Hunter's excited to be back with Adair and have Buck as a manager, and Davis is excited to actually get another chance to prove himself at 1B.

We'll see how that excitement translates to results on the field...

Pretty standard responses in my opinion. Anything other than "Hell no, I won't go!" can be spun pretty much any way you want. They talked of the jolt - understandable the first time you get traded by the organization that drafted you - and of the opportunity, which is about all you can say about going from the World Series to the worst team in the league.

I want to hear what Josh Bell has to say about it. Davis basically takes his place in the hierarchy, though Bell is primarily 3B and Davis 1B, but with Reynolds also in the mix for the same spots it makes it harder for Bell to get playing time. Competition should be a good thing.

Pretty standard responses in my opinion. Anything other than "Hell no, I won't go!" can be spun pretty much any way you want. They talked of the jolt - understandable the first time you get traded by the organization that drafted you - and of the opportunity, which is about all you can say about going from the World Series to the worst team in the league.

I want to hear what Josh Bell has to say about it. Davis basically takes his place in the hierarchy, though Bell is primarily 3B and Davis 1B, but with Reynolds also in the mix for the same spots it makes it harder for Bell to get playing time. Competition should be a good thing.

Josh Bell should figure this means the Orioles dont think he will amount to much. Really Reynolds then this. I think we see no place for Bell in our future.

Josh Bell should figure this means the Orioles dont think he will amount to much. Really Reynolds then this. I think we see no place for Bell in our future.

After how he preformed last season in his extended audition I don't think many folks see a place for Bell on a major league roster. He was pretty close to historically bad and that is hard to do in a sport with as much history as baseball.

And he showed no improvement this year in AAA. Josh Bell is lucky to get any time in the majors at this point. He belongs in AAA and should not even be in the discussion of the ML roster.

I agree with this statement 110%. We got HOSED in that deal when we gave Sherrill away.

I agree with this statement 110%. We got HOSED in that deal when we gave Sherrill away.

It confuses me every year why people think that RP are going to bring a lot in trade. Even the ELITE RP bring marginal players back. I mean for example the Nationals are going to have to trade a very young closer with experience to MIN plus another player just for Denard Span. Yes, the Denard Span that has no power, and will steal 20-30 but could be displaced in a lineup fairly easily.

Archived