BASH BROTHERS PART DEUX has begun

tinamodotti

I don't care about strikeouts, I just care about these guys having a respectable OBP. In Reynold's case, his .337 OBP is right around his career .334 number, and that's acceptable for a power hitter. I am absolutely satisfied with what he has provided on offense. I just wish he was not such a disappointment defensively.

As to Davis, let's see what he can do with regular playing time. His career .299 OBP won't cut it, but he has a minor league career OBP of .374 so I have hope that he can replicate Reynolds' OBP if he gets enough playing time. The power is certainly there and there is little doubt in my mind he'd hit 30 bombs if he played 150 games.

What we really need is for some other guys to be setting the table better. Andino leads the team in OBP at .342. That's pretty pathetic for a team high.

This is where BRob's absence is most felt. Coupled with Nick's poor OBP year, and the result is that the O's simply do not get on base enough as a team.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I mean...we did score 8 runs...this idea that SP is the only way to win games is kind of frustrating to me. Yeah it makes it easier, but if we're getting 8 runs every night...

The idea of a lineup with Reynolds/Davis/Reimold actually excites me. Those three guys all seem to have power but Davis's OBP that Frobby referenced seems to be BA driven. He never had more than 37 walks in a MiLB season. If you assume that number goes down in the MLB's that's discouraging. To get to that .330 he's going to have to hit around .290 or better. That seems to be asking a lot from him.

Yep - these guys are not just homer/strikeout guys. They do take walks. AND all three are not plodders on the basepaths either. As Frobby said, just wish they were a bit better with the glove.

Davis is a good fielder, but his problems been that he hasn't walked at the ML level.

His MLB UZR indicates otherwise. Now the scouting community may feel that he can improve with consistent time at 1B given his overall athleticism. But hey, Reynolds and Reimold are athletic too, and their defense is subpar.

This is where BRob's absence is most felt. Coupled with Nick's poor OBP year, and the result is that the O's simply do not get on base enough as a team.

Big disappointments from an OBP standpoint:

Markakis -- .025 below career average

Lee -- .062 below career average

Guerrero -- .059 below career average

I would not have expected either Lee or Guerrero to match their career average, considering their ages and performance in 2010. But they are significantly below what I would have expected. If these three players were meeting OBP expectations, the team OBP would be about 10 points higher.

You are right that missing BRob hurts, but Andino's OBP is only maybe 10 points below what I would have expected from BRob.

Reynolds and Davis are great additions, but they are not the #4 hitter we lack, They are great #'s 5,6,7 hitters. We need a guy who can hit 280+, get on base .360+ and SLG 500+. Aramis Ramirez 2005-2009 would be that guy. At 33, now not so much, but maybe an option when we can't sign Prince. If Andino can get rid of hos inconsistency he's not bad in the #9 spot. I think they should let Nick lead off and bat Hardy #2.

Reynolds and Davis are great additions, but they are not the #4 hitter we lack, They are great #'s 5,6,7 hitters. We need a guy who can hit 280+, get on base .360+ and SLG 500+. Aramis Ramirez 2005-2009 would be that guy. At 33, now not so much, but maybe an option when we can't sign Prince.

An old Cub? You just made Trea's head explode.

Reynolds and Davis are great additions, but they are not the #4 hitter we lack, They are great #'s 5,6,7 hitters. We need a guy who can hit 280+, get on base .360+ and SLG 500+. Aramis Ramirez 2005-2009 would be that guy. At 33, now not so much, but maybe an option when we don't try to sign Prince.

Fixed that for you.

Fixed that for you.
I still think they will make an effort. We need that kind of a bat. Why wouldn't we. We won't get him, because he will want 8/200M to play in B'more. I bet he goes to Cubs or Angels. But I think we make an offer 6/140'sh. Depends onthe GM situation.

An old Cub? You just made Trea's head explode.

I can approve getting Aramis Ramirez in an all-in offseason.

The problem is that he's got a $16 million option for 2012 that the the Cubs will likely pick up so he's not going to be a FA.

So you leave Reynolds at 3B and move Davis to DH when you sign Fielder.

Davis can back up both corners and you can rotate the DH through the 3 of them.

I still think they will make an effort. We need that kind of a bat. Why wouldn't we. We won't get him, because he will want 8/200M to play in B'more. I bet he goes to Cubs or Angels. But I think we make an offer 6/140'sh. Depends onthe GM situation.

I think we'll make a token offer just to say we did. I doubt our final offer is within 10% of what he signs for, making it pointless.

I can approve getting Aramis Ramirez in an all-in offseason.

The problem is that he's got a $16 million option for 2012 that the the Cubs will likely pick up so he's not going to be a FA.

Not if they are signing one of Pujols or Fielder. They aren't the Yankees.

I think we'll make a token offer just to say we did. I doubt our final offer is within 10% of what he signs for, making it pointless.
I think he' sign for something in the neighborhood of 6/160M - 7/180M. We'll offer around 6/145M. You do the math.

Archived