2012 Draft Slot Watch

I don't have the energy to type out the whole standings, but we're now only .5 games ahead of Minnesota and KC for #2, and Seattle is 2.5 games behind us. Yet again, it looks like we're on the verge of a decent late season run that will cost us a few slots in the following draft.

Yes, I want us to get the #2 draft pick and no, I don't get too excited about Clay Rapada coming in and pitching well. I don't see what success in September has to do with future success for this team.

So you think the O's should just concede the year? Forfeit every game, since the remainder of the season doesn't matter?

I don't think these guys are trying any harder now than before. But I think there is some value to momentum for next year when you've got some talent or are willing to bring in talent. Let's not forget this team was hovering around .500 in Mid-June.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is as of 9/12. Don't think we have much chance at the 1st pick. 2nd - 6th seem much more likely...

MLB

10 Florida 29

T Oakland 29.5

8 Pittsburgh 29.5

7 Chicago Cubs 31.5

6 San Diego 33

T Kansas City 34.5

4 Seattle 34.5

3 Minnesota 36.5

2 Baltimore 37

1 Houston 46.5

So you think the O's should just concede the year? Forfeit every game, since the remainder of the season doesn't matter?

I don't think these guys are trying any harder now than before. But I think there is some value to momentum for next year when you've got some talent or are willing to bring in talent. Let's not forget this team was hovering around .500 in Mid-June.

Britton pitches tonight. I see value in him playing well. Ditto guys that are going to be here...Kakes, Wieters, Jones (we think), Hardy, etc. I really don't care to see Jakubauskas turning it over to 6 bullpen guys that likely won't pitch in a meaningful game in their careers.

I always want us to win as a fan, but momentum from Clay Rapada just doesn't make me warm and fuzzy inside.

How did that momentum thing work from last year to this year? The so-called cavalry had us thinking they would actually turn into good pitchers. What's your evaluation of Matusz, Arrieta, Tillman and Bergesen now compared to the end of last season?

As of today, MN has tied us at 59-88. Here are the remaining schedules for MN and the O's. Home games in CAPs.

kc 0.423 TB 0.558

CLE 0.497 LA 0.547

CLE 0.497 LA 0.547

CLE 0.497 LA 0.547

ny 0.612 bos 0.585

SEA 0.412 bos 0.585

SEA 0.412 bos 0.585

SEA 0.412 det 0.581

cle 0.497 det 0.581

cle 0.497 det 0.581

cle 0.497 det 0.581

KC 0.423 BOS 0.585

KC 0.423 BOS 0.585

KC 0.423 BOS 0.585

0.465 0.573

MN only plays one game against a team over .500. Every one of our games is against a playoff contender. Even if we play way over our heads it would be difficult to not beat out MN in the race to the bottom. That is one hellacious schedule. (And) we played the Yanks 8 games at the beginning of the month. Ouch.

I don't have the energy to type out the whole standings, but we're now only .5 games ahead of Minnesota and KC for #2, and Seattle is 2.5 games behind us. Yet again, it looks like we're on the verge of a decent late season run that will cost us a few slots in the following draft.

Yes, I want us to get the #2 draft pick and no, I don't get too excited about Clay Rapada coming in and pitching well. I don't see what success in September has to do with future success for this team.

There is a history of late season surges with the Orioles though. We lost Tex that way when the Rangers leaped us in the loss standing due to us playing well against the Yankees during the final series of the season. Slipping from 22nd to 25th is not the same as doing the same from 2nd to 4th, 5th or 6th. I said it before and I will say it again, this team can't even lose right. If you are going to stink that do so, but do it at a $45M clip and not a $75M+ clip and for the love of God, do not think that finishing last is that big a deal when you only have an additional 5 or wins. I just scratch my head and pray that someone else gets a chance to buy the team.

We will end up picking first and with out luck this will be the equivalent of the Kwame Brown draft for the Wizards--no true #1 available.

Better yet - we'll end up picking first and take a flyer on an out-of-shape, projected-late-first-round HS pitcher with a great make-up.

We're currently sitting at #3 behind Minnesota (who has completely tanked) and Houston (who tanked the entire season). We basically have no shot at the #2 pick. Seattle is #4, 1 game better than us. KC (3.5 better), Chicago and others are next.

We'll almost certainly have the #3 or #4 (my wager) pick at this point.

We're currently sitting at #3 behind Minnesota (who has completely tanked) and Houston (who tanked the entire season). We basically have no shot at the #2 pick. Seattle is #4, 1 game better than us. KC (3.5 better), Chicago and others are next.

We'll almost certainly have the #3 or #4 (my wager) pick at this point.

Pretty much our typical spot.

so looks like no worse than 4th again this year...could still move up to 3rd.

I believe that any ties go to the team that had the worse record the year before. Therefore, we will pick no worse than 4th, but to move to 3rd we'd have to lose both remaining games and Seattle has to win both of theirs. Not likely, and at this point I'd prefer to just beat Boston.

I believe that any ties go to the team that had the worse record the year before. Therefore, we will pick no worse than 4th, but to move to 3rd we'd have to lose both remaining games and Seattle has to win both of theirs. Not likely, and at this point I'd prefer to just beat Boston.

I was going to write exactly the same thing. I just don't want to regret the worse pick in 4 years.

Archived