Starting 5 - Gary Williams Era

glorydays

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They've got an interesting one going now with Francis vs. Wilcox. It was right around 50-50 when I voted this morning, but Francis has pulled ahead and looks like he will win.

I was never a huge fan of Francis as his attitude always rubbed me the wrong way a bit. He still comes to MD games and supports the program though, so that's pretty awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

Testudo Times is down to the Final Four. Looks like Dixon will advance vs. Williams, however...

Greivis vs. Joe Smith is neck and neck. So, I encourage everyone - go over there and vote for Joe Smith. I love, love, love Greivis and everything he did here, and am proud to say I was in his corner the whole time, but there is no way he should beat Joe Smith.

Testudo Times is down to the Final Four. Looks like Dixon will advance vs. Williams, however...

Greivis vs. Joe Smith is neck and neck. So, I encourage everyone - go over there and vote for Joe Smith. I love, love, love Greivis and everything he did here, and am proud to say I was in his corner the whole time, but there is no way he should beat Joe Smith.

Joe Smith is the best player to play during the Gary era, he obviously just left early and before that young team could really become a national force. So those things will be held against him.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, GV is the most overrated player to play at MD since I started following MD basketball in the early 90s. People who are under 30 have no clue how good Joe Smith was at MD and I imagine most of the people voting in this poll are under 30. We are talking about a guy who was voted one of the 50 best ACC players of all time after playing only 2 years.

I have to agree with John-OH, Greivis was a tremendous college player, and you have to remember that he did it with not a lot of help.

He doesn't compare to Joe Smith, but he was still really really good. He was the offense during his last 2 years, the whole thing ran through him. You saw how much the team struggled to close games last year, that's because there was no Greivis there to make the plays that needed to be made.

I am sure Dixon will win the tournament, and I certainly won't have a problem with that, but I'll still be voting for Joe Smith.

The fact that Vazquez is in the Final FOur of this poll should tell you he is overrated. He was not one of the 4 best players Gary Williams has ever had here.

A case can certainly be made for him.

Guys like Francis and Wilcox were more talented, but didn't accomplish as much as Greivis because they weren't there as long.

A case can certainly be made for him.

Guys like Francis and Wilcox were more talented, but didn't accomplish as much as Greivis because they weren't there as long.

Smith

Williams

Booth

Dixon

That was too easy and that's not even including Blake who IMO was better because he was more effecient or Baxter who was the clear #2 to Dixon and carried the Terps to their first Final Four in '01. People don't realize how ineffecient GV was his first 3 years here. People say he had nobody around him so he had to carry the team but at times he was out of control. He didn't play within himself he hurt the team too often. His senior year he was awesome but that is it.

Smith

Williams

Booth

Dixon

Frankly I've always thought Booth was a little overrated. Love the guy and he was a good player, but I'd take Vasquez over him.

There are arguments that can be made for a host of other guys. Sort of like ranking prospects here - you have your big 3 in Williams, Smith, Dixon, and after that you can make a case for a lot of different players. For instance, if I had to pick a PG to run my team, it would be Blake - but that doesn't mean that Vasquez didn't have as good or better of a career here.

I thought Vasquez really turned the corner going into his junior year. He went from being erratic to a very good player. His senior year he was great. He's probably in the top-10 of all-time Terps, but right around the 10 spot or so.

That said, I'm still taking Dixon, Smith, and Williams over him from the get go. Blake is extremely underrated as a PG here. He was probably a little bit better defensively, and the better shooter, but in each instance not by much.

Frankly I've always thought Booth was a little overrated. Love the guy and he was a good player, but I'd take Vasquez over him.

I agree. Booth wasn't really a star until his senior year where he was 3rd team all-american.

Career numbers:

Booth: 14.1 7.3 2.3 .456%

Greivis: 16.0 4.8 5.7 .425%

Grevis was 2nd team all-american his senior year.

I'd take Greivis.

Archived