Millwood Loses 2011 Major League Debut

OFFNY

Although he finished the game with a quality start, former Oriole pitcher Kevin Millwood lost his 2011 season major league debut to the Cincinnati Reds last night. Millwood pitched 7 innings for the Rockies, allowing 3 runs on 6 hits. Millwood had good control, striking out 6 while walking only 1. He threw 100 pitches, 64 of which were strikes.

IP: 7

H: 6

R: 3

BB: 1

SO: 6

Pitches: 100 (64 Strikes, 36 Balls)

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/sns-tsn-aan-recap-col-cin-20110810,0,6204101.story

I think it was good having Millwood around last year. He didn't pitch great, but soaked up a lot of innings, took pressure off of other pitchers on the staff, andI think the others got some benefit if seeing how he approached his job. I hope he has success for the Rockies.

• 2 weeks later...

Millwood was on the radio the other day and I think his attitude, experience and lunch bucket work ethic are missed this year in Baltimore. He battled seven innings today to get a scrappy win against the Dodgers at Coors Field today. When pitching depth is a problem on EVERY MLB team, I think we should have kept him.

Anyway, he said he thought he had another year in him, and it will be interesting to see where he ends up.

-Don

Archived