Let's assume...

Sports Guy

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If all the deals we do did not acquire a better SS than Luis Hernandez I guess we go with the all defence option. We see if he can hit .250 in the bigs. Big if I know.

I think next year is all about getting younger and stocking up on almost major league ready talent. Next year could be barren at SS and behind the plate.

If all the deals we do did not acquire a better SS than Luis Hernandez I guess we go with the all defence option. We see if he can hit .250 in the bigs. Big if I know.

I think next year is all about getting younger and stocking up on almost major league ready talent. Next year could be barren at SS and behind the plate.

Exactly. If a top quality young SS like Hu is in the mix, fine. If not, just get the best young talent we can and "sort it out" later.

Good question (though in some ways I am more interested in the construct of the entire team - long term).

Short term, I would hope we would scour potential FA SSs who might be interested in one year deals that might improve upon Hernandez - we might benefit from getting draft picks for such a FA.

Longer term, we should do what we are doing now:

- look at free agent SSs - such as Furcal after this season

- invest an early pick in the draft at SS - Beckham might be a no-brainer next year if he reaches us

- continue, as we have been doing for a few weeks, to look for blocked SS prospects in other organizations

There are many ways to skin this cat, IMO. We just need to be smart and methodical in our approach.

...that Bedard and Miggy are dealt and we do NOT obtain a SS in either deal.

What move would you make to obtain our SS for the now and the future or would you just go with Hernandez and not worry about it?

Well, you know what I think, but I'll play anyway...

Job #1 is figuring out who you really want, and you decide about the short-term based on that. If you're confident you can get somebody you think you're gonna be happy with, but who's two years away, then you look around for a better placeholder. But if it's just a short-term wait, then you should focus on fixing other stuff that matters more. There's plenty of stuff that matters more, both re: players and everything else about the org.

I know everybody thinks I'm stupid about this, like I'm saying you should put Barney Fife in charge of the 3rd Army while you're waiting for George Patton. But if LH plays good D and hits over the Mendoza line, I think that's fine for 2008. If you can get somebody better for nothing, I don't mind, but I'd worry about more important stuff, not that. Regardless, I'd want a placeholder who's big strength is D, given what the 2008 agenda is with all the if-fy young P's.

ps: You predicated this based on moving both Miggi and Erik. Does your own answer change any if they move Miggi but keep Erik?

...that Bedard and Miggy are dealt and we do NOT obtain a SS in either deal.

What move would you make to obtain our SS for the now and the future or would you just go with Hernandez and not worry about it?

I would attempt to acquire a SS via trade using our remaining trade pieces. There is a Rangers prospect named German Duran who has sort of flown under the prospect radar, but has seemingly come into his own this past season at AA Frisco and is playing pretty well in the AFL. He could be a sleeper SS we look at.

If not Duran or Joaquin Arias, both Texas guys, there are a number of solid SS prospects that we could turn our attention to. As you know, Brent Lillibridge, Chin-Lung Hu and Ronny Cedeno are players that we've discussed ad nauseum in various trade scenarios, but it's uncertain that unless BRob is dealt that we would have a match for those teams.

Lillibridge may be had for a Daniel Cabrera, although it's unknown what interest the Braves would have in DCab. We have option, regardless of Tejada and Bedard.

McPhail has to know before he trades Miggy who his starting SS for 2008 will be and how he will acquire him. If he doesn't, he does not make the trade.

To my way of thinking that is the job of a GM. He must know how the dominos will fall before he trades away a major piece.

McPhail has to know before he trades Miggy who his starting SS for 2008 will be and how he will acquire him. If he doesn't, he does not make the trade.

To my way of thinking that is the job of a GM. He must know how the dominos will fall before he trades away a major piece.

Actually, I'd say that's contrary to what he's stated. Read below.

If your thinking stop gap here is what next year's FA SS look like.

Shortstops

Orlando Cabrera LAA

Alex Cintron CWS

Alex Cora BOS

Craig Counsell * MIL

Adam Everett HOU

Rafael Furcal LAD

Cristian Guzman WAS

Cesar Izturis PIT

Ramon Martinez LAD

Edgar Renteria * DET

Juan Uribe CWS