Let's assume...

Sports Guy

Great, good for the Giants and the Jays. Should we be looking to model after these organizations? We don't have to tolerate a SS who kills rallies by the bushel just because we don't have an MVP candidate waiting in the wings, and we shouldn't.

And if we're just looking to fill that hole with somebody - anybody, why not get an offensive Bruntlett type? I mean, since we're going to lose anyway does it really matter what kind of loser we are?

Please refer to my previous comments and keep in mind the intent of the original question before we play the hokie pokie dance

This is a pretty old discussion and if thats what your ultimately going to say, then why even pose the question in the first place?

He'll probably be better than the guy the Jays had playing SS last year. So I'm at least conviced he'll be as good as one ML shortstop, perhaps a couple others. Nobody's convinced me we're going to get somebody marginally better for nothing or next to nothing.

If we get a Hu/Aybar/Cedeno/Wood then fine. I'm all for it. But those guys aren't going to be had for free or next to nothing and I don't think we should waste our bullets over them at this point.

As far as I'm concerned this is like worrying about putting a bandaid on an amputation."

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If having Hernandez or Fahey as the regular SS is a plan that McPhail is willing to accept then that is part of his plan. I believe he has to make the decision to live with that before he trades Miggy.

Personally, I would not trade Miggy until I knew I had his replacement in hand. SS is a major part of a team's defense. A GM shouldn't just throw anyone out there. Also putting a 500 OPS guy as a regular player on the team is probably asking for failure. If the GM is ready for a 100 loss season, then that is OK. But Peter better be on board or it might be the last season that McPhail would be GM.

Its ok to say trade everyone and we will figure it out later, but the facts are that you better figure it out going into the season or you may be gone.

Flanagan and Duke put a 4th OF in as the regular leftfielder. It hurt them. And LF is not as critcial a position as SS. A GM makes his choices and he has to live with them or in Flanny and Dukes case, get fired with them.

I don't think it matters next year if we have to have Aubrey Huff at SS.:D

I don't know that he has made the decision that he is willing to play the season with Hernandez or Fahey at short. I think McPhail is smarter then that. At least I hope he is.

You say you are willing to accept 100 losses, but is Peter. There is a big difference between you or I and Peter. Piss us off and we might write an email and stop coming to the games. Piss Peter off and you will not be GM any more. Peter is a proud man. Last place and the embarrassment of 100 losses would probably cause him to change GMs if he was not part of the decision to go that direction.

If MacP is going for a major rebuilding, don't you think he has aleady made it clear to PA that that could mean another year or two of losing? If PA can't put up with that then we wouldn't be hearing all this trade talk.

I do. If he plays good D and hits a bingle or the occasional double once per game, that's OK-enough for 2008. He's a slap singles hitter, I ain't looking for him to knock it out of the park, I know he's not gonna have a SLG number. What's SLG have to do with a little scampery SS? Nothing, that's what. For who he is, the OBP is way more important than that. Forget his SLG number, and get him to work on getting fewer K's and more BB's. That's where his focus oughta be. He should be copying Wee Willie Keeler and Aparicio, not Cal and Nomar.

This is just an incredibly naive post.

Forget his slugging number? That number is pretty important.

We don't have to tolerate a SS who kills rallies by the bushel just because we don't have an MVP candidate waiting in the wings, and we shouldn't.

Kills rallies by the bushel? Come on, what's the diff between LH and the imaginary line in the sand that everybody is drawing about what's tolerable? Doesn't it boil down to him somehow getting on base an extra 2 times per week? Which he might do anyway. Mountain, meet molehill.

And if we're just looking to fill that hole with somebody - anybody, why not get an offensive Bruntlett type? I mean, since we're going to lose anyway does it really matter what kind of loser we are?

Because 2008 is gonna be a big deal for several young if-fy P's. We don't need them being afraid to throw the ball in the general vicinity of the strike zone for fear that the batter might hit it to the guy who gets the most chances. In other words. we don't need a SS who makes bushels (heh heh) of errors ;-)

Kills rallies by the bushel? Come on, what's the diff between LH and the imaginary line in the sand that everybody is drawing about what's tolerable? Doesn't it boil down to him somehow getting on base an extra 2 times per week? Which he might do anyway. Mountain, meet molehill.

100-150 points of OPS.

Because 2008 is gonna be a big deal for several young if-fy P's. We don't need them being afraid to throw the ball in the general vicinity of the strike zone for fear that the batter might hit it to the guy who gets the most chances. In other words. we don't need a SS who makes bushels (heh heh) of errors ;-)

I would be willing to bet LH makes at least 20 errors if he played 150 or more games next year.

This is just an incredibly naive post.

I thought you'd like it ;-)

Forget his slugging number? That number is pretty important.

Not for a guy like him it's not. He's not gonna drive the ball in the power alley, he's gonna hit singles. We don't need a number to tell us that, we already know it. What do we need his SLG number for? So you can make a big deal about how big it isn't?

To me the fact that we are actually having an argument about whether LH should be our SS is a joke. The guy has no business in AA, let alone the majors.

He is the ultimate definition of a banjo hittter.

With all the young guys we will have probably have next year, who will be incredibly streaky, the last thing we need is a guy who is consistently an automatic out.

Archived