An Eloquent, Truthful Editorial in The Sun

frankpembleton

Isn't every team essentially a regional team? I can't think of one team which wants to limit it's fans to it's city limits. The Yankees & Mets with the largest city population to draw from, consider most of New Jersey & Connecticut to be their "region". Maybe it's no big deal, and to tell the truth I've never really even thought about much before, but I'd like to see Baltimore on the jerseys.

Very good point.

I think the people that want Baltimore back on the jersey will be much happier that its back on, than those who oppose it will be angered by the same.

Does anyone know if the people outside of the Baltimore area will even care ?

Are people in Iowa offended that the word Chicago is on their road jerseys ?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being from Baltimore, we're born with an instinctive animosity at being perceived as nothing more than a piss break off of 95 for those travelling from Philadelphia to Washington. We're proud of our town, despite its many flaws and glaring problems. The Baltimore Orioles history didn't start in 1954. Ned Hanlon, Wee Willie Keeler, John McGraw, Wilbert Robinson, never played on 33rd Street. The Baltimore Chop isn't called the Oriole Chop. The Baltimore Orioles is a symbol of our history and our pride for over a century. The fact is that current ownership has done everything to disassociate itself from the city and its proud people and that has as much to do with the empty seats as the losing.

Very good point.

I think the people that want Baltimore back on the jersey will be much happier that its back on, than those who oppose it will be angered by the same.

Does anyone know if the people outside of the Baltimore area will even care ?

Are people in Iowa offended that the word Chicago is on their road jerseys ?

Iowa??????????????????

I'm a bit shocked that so many people care so much over something so trivial.

You can have civic pride all you want; does the lack of Baltimore on the jersey prevent that? Are they not still the Baltimore Orioles? Do they not still play half their games in Baltimore?

A: Perhaps its not so trivial after all. Not in the sense that Baltimore on the jerseys will lead to wins, but in the sense that the organization has made a massive disconnect from its city. And yes, despite the PR events, there IS a real disconnect. I live in this city, I see it everyday. OPCY has become the place where white collar rich people go to have a drink and kill an evening. Blue collar people (ie, a lot of Baltimore) rarely wear Orioles gear, rarely talk about the Orioles, rarely think of the Orioles as part of their lives. It especially looks bad when one compares the O's treatment of Baltimore to the Ravens (look at the Raven's logo when you get a chance), whose merchandise I see everywhere.

B: If they're the BALTIMORE Orioles (which everyone here freely admits), then it shouldn't be a big deal AT ALL for them to have Baltimore on the away jerseys, as most other teams in sports are cool with that.

No one is saying Bmore on the away jerseys will fix all the O's problems or lead them to their first winning season in a decade or anything like that. But anyone who actually lives in Baltimore knows this organization has a large disconnect from the hearts and minds of its city, which cannot be healthy anyway you cut it. This is a major way for the O's to address that particular problem (and of course winning would help, but that's not all there is to it).

Being from Baltimore, we're born with an instinctive animosity at being perceived as nothing more than a piss break off of 95 for those travelling from Philadelphia to Washington. We're proud of our town, despite its many flaws and glaring problems. The Baltimore Orioles history didn't start in 1954. Ned Hanlon, Wee Willie Keeler, John McGraw, Wilbert Robinson, never played on 33rd Street. The Baltimore Chop isn't called the Oriole Chop. The Baltimore Orioles is a symbol of our history and our pride for over a century. The fact is that current ownership has done everything to disassociate itself from the city and its proud people and that has as much to do with the empty seats as the losing.

This man gets rep points.

--Alexander

Archived