If BRob can't return next season.....??

jets4ever

Wait, you would sign a 33-year-old veteran for his speed, basestealing and defense? There's a recipe for disaster.
For 3 years? Yeah I'd take that gamble.

We signed a 31 year old SS for his defense back in 1997 and then re-signed him when he was 35 for 2 more years.

Figgins round two, here we come!

On the list of ways to improve the team, signing Rollins is about #192, right ahead of zombie Mays. Not only is it unrealistic, it doesn't even make sense for the O's.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgive me, I don't understand the logic behind signing Rollins at all. He's obviously on the downward side of his career, he's 33 years old, he's averaging a .715 OPS over the last three years, and he'll demand a bloated contract that will handcuff the Orioles. Usually you harp on good but unrealistic players, Trea, but I have no idea why you're going on about Rollins now. I don't see how an expensive, old, past his prime player is going to help us one bit.

He of the .333 OBP? The sudden love affair with Robert Andino on this site is pretty disturbing. He's a utility infielder, at best.

I agree he's a utility infielder, but I bet you'd be hard pressed to find many teams with better options off the bench. Solid guy to have around.

The Orioles should not be looking at any .650-.750 OPS players as regulars if they want to win.

I'm not sure people really get what talent level is needed to compete in the AL East...

Jimmy Rollins OPS:

2009: .719

2010: .694

2011: .732

Oh my god. Crushed.

My Perfect One !!! :hearts:

Will Be back !!!! :)

BELIEVE

Only if he is medically cleared, which I am betting that he will be (I'm not a gambler, but if I was, I'm going with B-Rob's health improving by next season). However, IF Roberts continues to have problems due to his concussion(s), then I don't want him back. It's not worth the risk of long-term damage down the road.

He of the .333 OBP? The sudden love affair with Robert Andino on this site is pretty disturbing. He's a utility infielder, at best.

I can see an average-ish MI starter with Andino. Always thought that. I think he's better suited for SS than 2B, although I'm beginning to think his range isn't as good as I though it was. His .334 OBP is 12 points above league average right now and I've been impressed with his patience this year. I could see his power numbers coming up. He's well below his projections in that area and has a decent Mil track record. He defintely impresses me as a guy than can square up a baseball but needs some more work on a couple bad habits (bailing out on RHP and lifting his back leg).

My point is we shouldn't be looking at any prospects that profile as .650-.750 OPS regulars.

You leave out one word and people jump all over you... :P

Besides, Cardenas doesn't steal bases or hit for power. We'd get him for his defense which seems below average according to Total Zone and his ability to hit singles.

We need proven talent that will win games at the ML level. No prospects, suspects or projects unless they are riding the bench. The time for that is done.

No Trea, and that's the problem with your thinking in general. The time for that is NOT DONE. It's not even close to DONE. In fact, on the basis of our W/L record this year it might be further from DONE than in any of the previous 14 losing seasons.

Now is absolutely not the time to go all in on the 1 or 2 stars that you might be able to afford after ponying up the premium required to bring them to the worst franchise in baseball. Doing so would nowhere near make us competitive in our division, it would consume all of our salary budget (leaving us unable to sign guys like AJ and Weiters to contracts before they get sucked into the FA vortex), and it would give PA, AM, et. al. even more of an excuse to not spend more on international signings, scouting, player development, and the amateur draft.

No Trea, and that's the problem with your thinking in general. The time for that is NOT DONE. It's not even close to DONE. In fact, on the basis of our W/L record this year it might be further from DONE than in any of the previous 14 losing seasons.

Now is absolutely not the time to go all in on the 1 or 2 stars that you might be able to afford after ponying up the premium required to bring them to the worst franchise in baseball. Doing so would nowhere near make us competitive in our division, it would consume all of our salary budget (leaving us unable to sign guys like AJ and Weiters to contracts before they get sucked into the FA vortex), and it would give PA, AM, et. al. even more of an excuse to not spend more on international signings, scouting, player development, and the amateur draft.

You do realize of course the Orioles are in a win-now mode, right?

Buck didn't sign on to rebuild...

You do realize of course the Orioles are in a win-now mode, right?

Buck didn't sign on to rebuild...

What does that even mean with Angelos as the owner? I agree with you that Buck probably got some assurances before he signed on... but I doubt it was anything as big $$$ as you're expecting.

Archived