What was Matusz' velocity / stuff like today?

glenn__davis

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He hit 92. He sat around 89-90 for most of the game. I can deal with him being around 89-90. The potential to be effective is there, but like Palmer said he has to be perfect. There are some guys in this league who can throw a fastball or breaking ball right down the middle of the plate and get away with it because they are so nasty. Matusz is definitely not one of them. Still, he does seem to be regaining some of his stuff.

I'd say it's both. He located poorly, but his stuff is poor enough that big league hitters just crushed it. I feel like it's mostly a stuff issue. Every starter makes dozens of location mistakes a game. His just get hammered.
You are wrong.

With better command and location, Bmat can be excellent, as he has proved.

He doesn't have blow you away stuff but he can change speeds well and if he has command of all of his pitches, he can be a very good #2 starter.

You are wrong.

With better command and location, Bmat can be excellent, as he has proved.

He doesn't have blow you away stuff but he can change speeds well and if he has command of all of his pitches, he can be a very good #2 starter.

Yeah if he had Glavine Like control. What lefty starter pitches like a #2 throwing 89 consistently? I bet there is no more than 1-2, if that. Matusz doesn't have any worse control than Clayton Kershaw.

Yeah if he had Glavine Like control. What lefty starter pitches like a #2 throwing 89 consistently? I bet there is no more than 1-2, if that. Matusz doesn't have any worse control than Clayton Kershaw.
Matusz...last year.

When you start citing velocity and act as if it is more important than command and location, it tells me that you know very little about pitching.

Matusz...last year.

His ERA+ was 97 last year. No matter how you slice or dice it. That's what it was. So he struggled in the beginning of the year. You can't take that away. He has never put in a full season of an ERA+ of 120. That's a #2 starter quality. He isn't even close.

When you start citing velocity and act as if it is more important than command and location, it tells me that you know very little about pitching.

You are underestimating stuff. Clayton Kershaw, arguably the best pitcher in the NL so far this season establishes his fastball belt high in the middle of the plate and is a pure ace.

You are underestimating stuff. Clayton Kershaw, arguably the best pitcher in the NL so far this season establishes his fastball belt high in the middle of the plate and is a pure ace.
And of that was all he had, he would be Brad Pennington.

I am not underestimating stuff but it is 5th on the totem pole behind command, control, location and movement. If you want to put locate and command in the same category, that's fine.

Either way, other things are more important.

And my point was that BMat proved that you can throw in the 89 area and be a very good starter. No, he didn't show it through a full season..yet.

And of that was all he had, he would be Brad Pennington.

I am not underestimating stuff but it is 5th on the totem pole behind command, control, location and movement. If you want to put locate and command in the same category, that's fine.

Either way, other things are more important.

And my point was that BMat proved that you can throw in the 89 area and be a very good starter. No, he didn't show it through a full season..yet.

I think (or at least hope) that everyone knows that you don't have to be a flamethrower to be effective; Matusz didn't need to prove that it was possible. However, the main point is that we want Matusz to show that he can be effective without being a flamethrower for an entire year. I'm optimistic it can be done, but it has yet to happen.

Archived