The New Uniform Unveiling (August 22nd, 7:30 pm, terpstv)

Danielos38

The UMD Athletic Department will be unveiling all of the new uniforms and helmets tomorrow night (August 22) at 7:30 pm. You can watch the ceremony thing on terpstv which can be accessed through umterps.com.

From what I've heard, there will be so many different combinations that it will seem like the team is wearing new jerseys every game. Plus, there is rumors of an entirely special uniform for either the Notre Dame game or the Miami game. Perhaps we will find out during the ceremony.

Some of the jerseys have already leak via the NCAA Football 12 game but I'll refrain from posting pictures until the unveiling has taken place for those who want to be surprised.

Here's a question I have though... All these new uniform combinations are definitely going to be a sexy selling point to recruits. Does the fact that Edsall will not allow names on the back of them take away from that at all? Is it too "old-school" of a move?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The UMD Athletic Department will be unveiling all of the new uniforms and helmets tomorrow night (August 22) at 7:30 pm. You can watch the ceremony thing on terpstv which can be accessed through umterps.com.

From what I've heard, there will be so many different combinations that it will seem like the team is wearing new jerseys every game. Plus, there is rumors of an entirely special uniform for either the Notre Dame game or the Miami game. Perhaps we will find out during the ceremony.

I was wondering if/when they were ever going to do this. I'm interested to see what they look like, but I'm definitely not a fan of having multiple jerseys/combinations.

I was wondering if/when they were ever going to do this. I'm interested to see what they look like, but I'm definitely not a fan of having multiple jerseys/combinations.

There's a huge difference between Maryland and Oregon though. Oregon has a completely different jersey and helmet for each game it seems. Maryland will have 4 jerseys identical in design, but different in color (red, white, black, gold) and 3 helmets which I know nothing about. Any variation in uniform will come from us mixing and matching.

This is clearly the trend in college football so I'm happy to see Maryland getting out in front of it.

That fact that they took the names of the players off the backs just ruins it for me. No on wants to watch a game with a program in his/her hand.

In theory, I agree. But when you watch a game, are you ever really looking at the names on the jerseys, especially when you're there? To me, not really. You're too far away from the field to make out the names so you just subconsciously know the numbers. And when you watch on tv, the commentators say the names of the players involved so it's not really a big deal there either. If Edsall really thinks that this is something that's important, I'll go along with it because I just don't think it makes that big of a difference.

I'm not expecting these uniforms to be that sharp. It seems like the trend is to make uniforms original enough to generate buzz. Just look at what Nike did with the new Georgia uniforms, they are UGLY!

Poor man's Oregon? I don't think so. It would take much, much, much more than "original" uniforms for the Terps to approach Oregon status. They would first have to create a brand that represents a marketable style of football.

There's a huge difference between Maryland and Oregon though. Oregon has a completely different jersey and helmet for each game it seems. Maryland will have 4 jerseys identical in design, but different in color (red, white, black, gold) and 3 helmets which I know nothing about. Any variation in uniform will come from us mixing and matching.

This is clearly the trend in college football so I'm happy to see Maryland getting out in front of it.

That's way too many combinations (although I do like the idea of gold jersey's) though. Two jerseys, one helmet color, and one maybe two colors for the pants that's all you need. All the best uniforms in college football are the schools that only have two jerseys and one color for pants. Penn State, Texas, are a couple that come to mind. Less is more.

That's way too many combinations (although I do like the idea of gold jersey's) though. Two jerseys, one helmet color, and one maybe two colors for the pants that's all you need. All the best uniforms in college football are the schools that only have two jerseys and one color for pants. Penn State, Texas, are a couple that come to mind. Less is more.

Less is more when you have that kinda of tradition. We don't. More is more.

Ugh! Who designed those Edsal's 5 year old son? I'm just looking at these on my phone, so maybe they will look better when I see A bigger picture but color me disappointed. The white ones are the best by far after that the red ones are decent, but the rest look bad, the gold ones are probably the worst.

Ugh! Who designed those Edsal's 5 year old son? I'm just looking at these on my phone, so maybe they will look better when I see A bigger picture but color me disappointed. The white ones are the best by far after that the red ones are decent, but the rest look bad, the gold ones are probably the worst.

Really?! You definitely need to look at them bigger. There are definitely combinations that don't work... They brought out people wearing every different combination of jersey and pants possible just to emphasize the amount of choices. It's obvious that they're never going to be wearing white jerseys and gold pants, etc. They are great and recruits will love them.

Link to pictures of every player:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111640504728554769281/NewTerpJerseys?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKnwlf-I0K7Y3wE&feat=directlink

Black helmet/red jersey/black pants is my favorite combo. Yellow jerseys I don't love unless worn with black pants. Red jerseys can go with anything. So can black. White jerseys can be worn with any pants except yellow. I doubt they'd wear any combinations other than those anyways.

Archived