The New Uniform Unveiling (August 22nd, 7:30 pm, terpstv)

Danielos38

I see Maryland is now trying to compete with Oregon for the ugliest uniforms in college football.

They have to be because there will be no names on them. Fans in the stands will have to have a program in their hands at all times to find out what player did what unless they were the ball cariier, receiver or tackler. Dumb. As for the uniforms, a couple of the yellow and black tops I've seen were ok, but not a fan of the all black helmet.

Overall, I'm not impressed and a few, including the all-white was about as boring as a 1980's high school uniform.

I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you here. As a Penn State guy, I've never had any trouble identifying a player by his number or even body type. Plus, they probably announce who the player was after every play, even if you're not familiar with their number. I know there's no way in hell I'd be able to sit there and read names off the back of jersey from the stands anyways.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't hate the uniforms. I like the different color combos. It'll take some getting used to. Oregon's jerseys took a while to get used to as well. I'm glad Maryland's getting out in front of this trend.

I will join in the "no names on the backs of jerseys is stupid" crowd. You can't tell me that these jerseys are for the recruits and then take the names off. I'd bet if you asked HS kids whether they'd prefer having their names on the jerseys or not, they'd prefer having them there. You need a ton of tradition to really pull that off, and Maryland doesn't.

I like the white tortoise shell helmet just fine. There's no excuse for not putting something on the other ones, though. That's crap, and frankly rather dull. A stick-figure turtle would be better than putting nothing there. We're not friggin' Notre Dame or Navy or Army or Penn State. Stop trying to blend the new-school jersey aspects (piping all over the place, mix-and-match combos, two-toned numbering) with old-school ones (blank helmets, no names). It makes for an awful whole.

I agree with that. Do it one way or the other, but not both.

I don't know that it makes a lot of sense to have a "classic" look if you don't have the history to go with it.

That's a good point. While college football is very much about traditions and nostalgia, the UM football program is not. So like the new look or not, there are no bygone days for Terps fans to really cling to, and moving forward in any sense is a good thing.

I don't hate the uniforms. I like the different color combos. It'll take some getting used to. Oregon's jerseys took a while to get used to as well. I'm glad Maryland's getting out in front of this trend.

I will join in the "no names on the backs of jerseys is stupid" crowd. You can't tell me that these jerseys are for the recruits and then take the names off. I'd bet if you asked HS kids whether they'd prefer having their names on the jerseys or not, they'd prefer having them there. You need a ton of tradition to really pull that off, and Maryland doesn't.

I like the white tortoise shell helmet just fine. There's no excuse for not putting something on the other ones, though. That's crap, and frankly rather dull. A stick-figure turtle would be better than putting nothing there. We're not friggin' Notre Dame or Navy or Army or Penn State. Stop trying to blend the new-school jersey aspects (piping all over the place, mix-and-match combos, two-toned numbering) with old-school ones (blank helmets, no names). It makes for an awful whole.

Gotta agree here. If you wanna go all futuristic, do it with the helmets too. The tortoise shell was a pretty cool idea but it still needs a TERPS on the side or something. The flat black with the police scene tape going down the middle is embarrassingly bad.

Well, I'm impressed. The only ones I didn't like were the all red or all white uniforms, no matter what the helmet. I think I like the black matte helmet more than the white.

The uniforms only matter to recruits if the team is winning in an exciting way.

I agree. These are quite nice except for the all white and all red. The yellow and black combos are the best imo followed by red and black.

I see Maryland is now trying to compete with Oregon for the ugliest uniforms in college football.

Seriously, those are hideous. Georgia came out with some new uni's for their first game, and they're terrible too. Why do all the new uniforms have to be so loud? The best are the classic ones. Michigan, USC, Penn State, etc.

Gotta agree here. If you wanna go all futuristic, do it with the helmets too. The tortoise shell was a pretty cool idea but it still needs a TERPS on the side or something. The flat black with the police scene tape going down the middle is embarrassingly bad.

See, if they wanna go all futuristic, just using the white tortoise-shell one as your helmet is fine. I like that design. But the matte black plain one is terrible. I hate it, and I wish that it would go away.

These uniforms are dog ****

Seriously, these things are atrocious. The white helmet is okay and I guess I don't mind the black jersey with white pants but everything else makes my eyes vomit.

The gradient shading of the numbers is the worst part. Awful. Reminds me of the old Houston Astros "clown" unis.

The uniforms aren't going anywhere. They wanted to be different to establish an identity and to create buzz, both missions accomplished already. They didn't switch the uniforms up to appease the fanbase, they did it to appeal to recruits and to get attention.

If I was a recruit and saw those I'd be on the first plane to Tallahassee.

I'm probably guessing you're not a 16-18 year old kid. The style is supposedly the "in" thing. People said the same thing about Oregon's uniforms back in the day and look at what that's done for them.

Archived