Is Soriano the first player the O's SHOULD go after?

Andy_Dufresne

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First of all, i agree it is likely ARam stays....But it is not the slam dunk that Dave and other Cubs fan think it is. I don't see how he at least doesn't test the FA waters, even if it ultimately leads to him signing back with Chicago.

What FA bat would i go after? I am not sure i go after any of them to be honest(besides cheap bench/platoon guys).

I would go in the trade market first....I think we could get Geoff Jenkins for very little...He has had alot of 870+ OPS seasons and can give us 25+ homers in LF. I think he could give us the same production as Lee.

I would also go back to the Burrell deal and see if anything can happen there this time around.

As i have said many times before, i would go after a top young first baseman.

Now, if Nomar doesn't go for more than 2/18 guaranteed or Craig Wilson goes for 2/10 or less, i would consider them in the FA market.

Interesting stuff. One name I would be interested in to play 1B is Morgan Ensberg. He is having a terrible year and his ops is still .849. His OBP is .392. If we could get him for Benson, would you do that? Could we get him for Benson (assuming we signed a FA pitcher)?

Interesting stuff. One name I would be interested in to play 1B is Morgan Ensberg. He is having a terrible year and his ops is still .849. His OBP is .392. If we could get him for Benson, would you do that? Could we get him for Benson (assuming we signed a FA pitcher)?

Sure...Ensberg is a possibility as well.

How many more wins do you get with Wilson at 1B and Lee in LF instead of Millar and baseball's worst LF production?

What difference does it make?

Just because they are upgrades, doesn't mean they are the right players to go after.

There are smarter and better ways to go. Just takes some creativity.

Just because they are upgrades, doesn't mean they are the right players to go after.

Just because you don't think they're right doesn't make them the wrong players either.

Just because you don't think they're right doesn't make them the wrong players either.

Well, the stats and the projections for guys like Wilson and Lee say i am more than likely correct than the Orioles are.(remember, thinking long term here, not just the first year or 2)

If you want to upgrade, you do it properly..ARam, Soriano or trades. That is what they should be doing.

These moves would also totally ignore defense, which needs to be upgraded.

These moves make it worse.

BTW, any word if they go after a starter?

As much as I'd like to see us make a big splash, I am truly leery of trying to sign any of these guys. Lee is certainly not worth 12 to 14 million per season and Wilson can't stay off the DL long enough to be productive.

I sure hope that these two are NOT at the top of our list this offseason.

I would much rather get a young 1st baseman and a platoon for LF that will produce at .380+ OBP.

Well, the stats and the projections for guys like Wilson and Lee say i am more than likely correct than the Orioles are.(remember, thinking long term here, not just the first year or 2)

If you want to upgrade, you do it properly..ARam, Soriano or trades. That is what they should be doing.

These moves would also totally ignore defense, which needs to be upgraded.

These moves make it worse.

BTW, any word if they go after a starter?

Yes, but the recent Oswalt signing may have put premier talent out of reach. Don't be surprised to see Olsen get a serious look as a starter in 2007. Benson may also be leaving but he has a great relationship with Duq and improvements to the offense and pen have been promised.

As much as I'd like to see us make a big splash, I am truly leery of trying to sign any of these guys. Lee is certainly not worth 12 to 14 million per season and Wilson can't stay off the DL long enough to be productive.

I sure hope that these two are NOT at the top of our list this offseason.

I would much rather get a young 1st baseman and a platoon for LF that will produce at .380+ OBP.

We need a run producer. We leave too many guys in scoring position. I don't want a LF who'll draw a walk with the winning run on 3B. Lee will drive in close to 120 runs this season and hit 35 HRs. That's worth the $12 million in my book.

You go for Soriano. The guy has been a stud every year he has played. The FO needs to stop all this wishy washy crap and go hard into the winter and stop messing around. Go for BOTH Soriano & Lee, and also play your cards elsewhere in the pitching department. Solidify the pen, then try to add a Wilson.

Its time to wipe the tears from our eyes and get back to competing in the AL EAST.

Time for some Oriole Pride

We need a run producer. We leave too many guys in scoring position. I don't want a LF who'll draw a walk with the winning run on 3B. Lee will drive in close to 120 runs this season and hit 35 HRs. That's worth the $12 million in my book.

Do these numbers concern you?:

2006:

Pre AS break: 916 OPS...26 homers...73 rbis...homer every 13.1 ab

Post AS break: 826 OPS...6 homers...28 Rbis...homer every 33 ab

2005:

Pre AS break: 864 OPS....22 homers...76 rbis..homer every 15.4 ab

Post AS break: 746 OPS...10 homers..38 rbis....homer every 27.9 ab

He looks, to me, to be out of shape. As he gets older and as the weather gets hotter, he slows down as the season goes along. That has to be a concern.

Archived