Is Soriano the first player the O's SHOULD go after?

Andy_Dufresne

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whither Lee or Soriano, they should start out w/Konerko money on the first day they're eligible to court free agents.No "waiting for the market to set itself".

My gut feeling after all is said and done is that we'll add one Gibbons/Hernandez level bat, a Jeremy Burnitz type and that's it for the hitting.

If we are going to throw a ton of money at Lee why not just give it to Soriano who is clearly the better talent?

Now you certainly won't see me compaining if they sign Lee but I hope they have a reason for not going after Soriano first. If it costs them 10 million more fine..Lee is a first half player and a streaky player. Would he be an upgrade? Absolutely. Is he an elite player like Soriano can be? No.

Also...If we are going to compete, even with an increase in payroll, we can't afford to have 7-9 million dollars tied up into average to slightly above average guys like Benson and C. Wilson. We need to mix young talent and potential with the RIGHT veterans and elite players.

Soriano wants to play 2B. He'll go where he can play there. Don't be surprised to see Boston and a major push for him. They can offer him both the position and cash.

Sorry to tell you but pitchers like Benson get 8 million a year. That's the market.

Soriano wants to play 2B. He'll go where he can play there. Don't be surprised to see Boston and a major push for him. They can offer him both the position and cash.

Sorry to tell you but pitchers like Benson get 8 million a year. That's the market.

That is what I thought 3 pages later :D

Do these numbers concern you?:

2006:

Pre AS break: 916 OPS...26 homers...73 rbis...homer every 13.1 ab

Post AS break: 826 OPS...6 homers...28 Rbis...homer every 33 ab

2005:

Pre AS break: 864 OPS....22 homers...76 rbis..homer every 15.4 ab

Post AS break: 746 OPS...10 homers..38 rbis....homer every 27.9 ab

He looks, to me, to be out of shape. As he gets older and as the weather gets hotter, he slows down as the season goes along. That has to be a concern.

Not really...His OPS is actually better this season so maybe be getting into better shape. HAve to factor in switching leagues and all the run producers Texas has for his 2006 stats.

Still ? I thought his improvement in the OF would soften his stance on the OF. If he wants to play 2b, we might have the Mets to worry about as well.

Losing out on Soriano, and to the Red Sux no less is a tough pill to swallow

I know it is. But when you have good, young arms that can produce like the O's have going into next year, especially if they are high on Olson as you suggest, then I think the most productive way to go is to replace Benson with Schmidt/Zito and keep the rest of the staff young. Unless of course they are going to put a ton of money into the offense and bullpen.

Now they may want to keep Benson on the staff if they think they can contend for the WC even after adding someone but Bedard, Cabrera, and Loewen should be in no matter what. Lopez needs to be traded IMO.

The chances of a Zito or Schmidt coming to Baltimore is like zilch. They want to go to a contender. I would too. I'm hearing Penn or Olsen will be the long relief spot starter in 2007 and the other will be in the rotation.

Not really...His OPS is actually better this season so maybe be getting into better shape. HAve to factor in switching leagues and all the run producers Texas has for his 2006 stats.

But you also have to factor in the fact he has gone to a great hitters park.

So, his power and production drastically drop off in the second half and it doesn't bother you? Interesting.

How many years do you think he gives us an 830+ OPS, 30 homers and 100 rbi's?

I am glad to here we are not going after one of Zito or Schmidt. Yes they would help the rotation, but in my opinion, with the young guys we have for the rotation, I think we would be a lot better off throwing the money at a bat or bullpen arm.

I am glad to here we are not going after one of Zito or Schmidt. Yes they would help the rotation, but in my opinion, with the young guys we have for the rotation, I think we would be a lot better off throwing the money at a bat or bullpen arm.

Zito won;t turn 29 until next May, he's a year older than Bedard. He's younger than RLop and 2 years older than DCab.

He's a perfect guy to get, he's young but experienced. He's pitched under pressure, unlike Bedard. Schmidt's 5 years older than Zito, the O's are in no position to get a guy who may be good for a year or 2, but Zito for 4 years would be great.

Archived