Is Soriano the first player the O's SHOULD go after?

Andy_Dufresne

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, that's interesting... everybody was so gung-ho of trading for or signing Carlos Delgado and yet he was 2 years older than Belle.

I wasn't gung-ho for trading for Delgado. But I'm also not saying that a team should automatically avoid signing someone that age... I'm simply stating what I think to be an almost universal truth... For whatever reason, signing somebody that age to a long term contract the odds of it working out or low. Therefore from day one of the Belle signing the odds were against it being anything other than a contract the O's would regret in retrospect.

I wasn't gung-ho for trading for Delgado. But I'm also not saying that a team should automatically avoid signing someone that age... I'm simply stating what I think to be an almost universal truth... For whatever reason, signing somebody that age to a long term contract the odds of it working out or low. Therefore from day one of the Belle signing the odds were against it being anything other than a contract the O's would regret in retrospect.

Was you in favor of signing Carlos Delgado as a free agent at age 33? And for 5 years?

Keep in mind you can't accurately compare a contract the oriorles might give someone with a contract other teams give them. For example, Billy Wagner got an absurd contract this offseason season, but its far less absurd because it was the mets. Not all marginal wins are worth the same revenue to each team.

Everybody, I mean everybody was ready to Carlos Delgado to a 5 year deal, and yet he would have been older than Belle was when he signed.

Was you in favor of signing Carlos Delgado as a free agent at age 33? And for 5 years?

No, I had no interest in giving Delgado a 5 year contract. I'd of had no problem if we had signed him to a shorter contract.

Everybody, I mean everybody was ready to Carlos Delgado to a 5 year deal, and yet he would have been older than Belle was when he signed.

I don't think this is accurate but I may be wrong. My recollection is a lot of people wanted to sign him but I'm not so sure even a majority of those who wanted him were willing to go 5 years.

I don't think this is accurate but I may be wrong. My recollection is a lot of people wanted to sign him but I'm not so sure even a majority of those who wanted him were willing to go 5 years.

Ok, well, let's just say that lots of people on here wanted to sign Delgado to a 5 year deal when on opening day, he would have been 33 years old.

Belle was 32 years old on opening day and to get back to Soriano, he will be 31 years old on opening day.

Yes....Yes....Yes. There should be no indecision about this choice. He has power, speed and is able to play LF, 2B or DH. He will give us three players with 40+ steals a year. Three speed guys in the lineup will result in the other hitters seeing more fastballs when they are batting. Pitchers won't be throwing changeups when Roberts, Soriano or Patterson are on base. If he likes D.C. he will love Baltimore and seems to have hit pretty well at Oriole Park whenever I have seen him play. If we have to give him $15-16 million a year over four or five years I would do it. Will $80 mill over 5 years get it done?

Ok, well, let's just say that lots of people on here wanted to sign Delgado to a 5 year deal when on opening day, he would have been 33 years old.

Belle was 32 years old on opening day and to get back to Soriano, he will be 31 years old on opening day.

I wanted to give Delgado a 4 year deal. The two major differences between him and Soriano are OBP and consistency. Edge to Delgado in both. Could pretty much count on at least a .900 OPS from him for at least the first 3 years of his deal imo.

So far so good with him, and in 2 of the worst hitting parks in baseball.

Belle was 5/65 million. $13 million a year for five years in *1999*. In 1998 the Orioles were 79-83, scored 817 runs, allowed 785 runs. Pythagorean W-L: 84-78. They finished 35 games behind the Yankees in 1998.

Was it because he used a cork bat for a number of years? He certainly wasn't a great outfielder.

I have often thought Soriano used a corked bat but after a number of years watching him I think he is another player with quick wrists like Frank Robinson had. If you remember Frank was very thin when he joined the Orioles and I remember when he hit the home run completely over the left field stands and out of the park. Friends of mine wondered how he did it. Everyone in the media and the pitchers he faced all commented on his quick wrists.

Belle put up big numbers during his abbreviated career but how many of those home runs were with a corked bat?

Was it because he used a cork bat for a number of years? He certainly wasn't a great outfielder.

I have often thought Soriano used a corked bat but after a number of years watching him I think he is another player with quick wrists like Frank Robinson had. If you remember Frank was very thin when he joined the Orioles and I remember when he hit the home run completely over the left field stands and out of the park. Friends of mine wondered how he did it. Everyone in the media and the pitchers he faced all commented on his quick wrists.

Belle put up big numbers during his abbreviated career but how many of those home runs were with a corked bat?

Probably the same number of home runs Soriano hit while using steroids...

Soriano swings one of the heaviest bats in the majors. How could it be cork?

I'm starting to really like the idea of going after Soriano even if it means overpaying. A 40 hr hitter is what the doctor ordered. My one concern about Soriano-he hit 40 something homers this season only to have the team still finish last. But in the AL you have to keep up with the "Jones'".

I truly find Soriano less of a problem than Lee. If they are targeting one of these guys, Soriano is the one I'd go after.

Lee has just never appealed to me. He's a big guy who looks like he'd be very susceptible to injury and/or getting out of shape. He's moved to a great offense in Texas and has put up decent, but not 12-14 million dollar a year numbers.

I truly believe bigbird. I think this is going to be the guy (Lee) we target and we may very well get him. I just think we're going to regret it a few years from now.

teams stopped running on him because of his new postion months ago and he still throws out base runner.

He's the #2 ranked leftfielder in baseball http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/playerrankings/regularseason/LF

1st player in history with 40HRs/30SBs/20 OF assists and 1 SB away from 40/40.

Hey Flanny, do you read these boards? SIGN THIS GUY, if you still have a job in Baltimore next year.

If angelos says no, be a man and quit.

Archived