Some insights from the Yankees broadcast

KurtCDavidson

On the YES broadcasts there were several interesting tidbits dropped yesterday regarding the O's.

First was the discussion of Mark Connor stepping down. According to Michael Kay it was because he was becoming "physically sick" when dealing with our young pitchers. Kay said that the attitude of pitchers in the organization is that once they make big leagues, they have no desire to keep learning.

Second, he said that Buck claimed there were exactly 8 "nuggets" on the 25 man roster. He would not say who they were, but Kay and Singleton tried to speculate (Wieters, Jones, Hardy, Markakis....?). That would leave 3-4 pitchers. I'd love to know the identity of the other nuggets.

Third, he said that Buck has "toyed with" the idea of bringing up Machado THIS YEAR, to take his lumps at the big league level. I'm guessing that this would put him at 3B long term.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don't have any feel for whether I should put any credence in what Michael Kay has to say. It's pretty clear that some of our pitchers didn't agree with what Connor was telling them to do. Whether that's because they "have no desire to keep learning" is a matter of perspective, I guess.

I just don't have any feel for whether I should put any credence in what Michael Kay has to say. It's pretty clear that some of our pitchers didn't agree with what Connor was telling them to do. Whether that's because they "have no desire to keep learning" is a matter of perspective, I guess.

All of our pitchers have regressed. Palmer has said that he has not been approached to help. And there was the comment last year about one of our pitchers not even knowing who Palmer was, or his stats, or something like that. I'm not going to say Kay is right, but there is a ton of circumstantial evidence that suggests our young pitchers don't have the drive to keep getting better.

As for the nuggets, I would say Jones, Hardy, Wieters, Markakis, Reynolds, Matusz, Britton, Arrieta, JJ, and Guts are the only guys I would be really happy with going forward. Every other position and player could be improved upon.

All of our pitchers have regressed. Palmer has said that he has not been approached to help. And there was the comment last year about one of our pitchers not even knowing who Palmer was, or his stats, or something like that. I'm not going to say Kay is right, but there is a ton of circumstantial evidence that suggests our young pitchers don't have the drive to keep getting better.

As for the nuggets, I would say Jones, Hardy, Wieters, Markakis, Reynolds, Matusz, Britton, Arrieta, JJ, and Guts are the only guys I would be really happy with going forward. Every other position and player could be improved upon.

The comment concerning Palmer was that, allegedly, one of our starting pitchers stated something to the effect that Palmer's stats were nothing special. It has been rumored that the pitcher making this comment was Matusz. If Kay's comments are correct, then we have many pieces we can move to improve the club. I'm not sure Matusz is a nugget at this point.

I'm not so sure that Buck considers Matusz to be a nugget, but I wd say that Andino's probably on the list; if not as a starter, at least as the utility infielder. Hunter and Gregg have that bulldoggedness that Buck respects--not so sure they have enough talent to qualify as nuggets tho.

I pretty much agree with you here, but what I find interesting is that of Reynolds, Matusz, Britton, Arrieta, JJ and Guts only 4 qualify as nuggets. My guess is Britton, Arrieta, JJ. I'm not really sure who makes it between Reynolds, Matusz and Guts. I'd probably guess Reynolds.

There are two sides to the Connor story. He didn't really want to be here, and the pitchers really didn't want to drastically change their deliveries to get a little faster to the plate.

End result: the progress that our pitching showed the final two months of 2010 was largely destroyed because of Mark Connor. But I am sure there are some attitudes in the pitching staff that didn't help either...but I am still putting most of the blame at the feet of Connor -- and Buck, by proxy.

The comment concerning Palmer was that, allegedly, one of our starting pitchers stated something to the effect that Palmer's stats were nothing special. It has been rumored that the pitcher making this comment was Matusz. If Kay's comments are correct, then we have many pieces we can move to improve the club. I'm not sure Matusz is a nugget at this point.

The comment about Palmer was related from Rob Dibble, not a very reliable source. The only "rumor" that it was Matusz who said this, was just speculation on the board. Matusz clearly has been terrible this year, but I am not about to write him off as an important part of this team going forward. He just needs to come into next spring training healthy and forget about what happened in 2011.

Thing is, we have never heard of anything like this from anywhere else. I mean, if all of these pitchers are THAT pigheaded wouldn't we have heard about it from the minors? From scouts? Wouldn't we, the fans, have noticed it a little more? If these guys are jackasses of such magnitude they are doing a hell of a job hiding it from the view of everyone else.

Thing is, we have never heard of anything like this from anywhere else. I mean, if all of these pitchers are THAT pigheaded wouldn't we have heard about it from the minors? From scouts? Wouldn't we, the fans, have noticed it a little more? If these guys are jackasses of such magnitude they are doing a hell of a job hiding it from the view of everyone else.

James you constantly say that "we don't know what happens" with the Orioles when people speculate on what happens behind closed doors. Now you are saying the opposite.

All we have to go on is results and the tidbits of info that get leaked here and there. I think we can all employ Occam's Razor and come up with a good idea of what happened this spring with the pitchers and Connor, why he was released, and why our pitching has struggled so much this year.

I'm not putting a ton of credence into these rumors but it's not impossible or even implausible to craft a scenario that responds to your questions. Let's say that Matusz, Tillman, Arrieta et al were never asked to make major changes to their deliveries in the minors, just some refinements. Not out of the realm of possibility, no? They were all top flight prospects. They all had enough velocity and good stuff, so it's not like they needed to make changes to pick up speed or movement. If the first time they were asked to do something really different was in ML Spring Training, you don't think that might cause some discomfort/questioning?

Archived