Rosenthal talks about O's next GM: Nothing we don't already know...

Birds of B'more

I'll throw another John Hart log on the fire: he was Cal Sr.'s third base coach in 1988. Maybe there's some family support there?

I'm also pondering Jerry Colangelo, who was the owner of the Dbacks and brought Showalter there. He was known for big spending as an owner, but perhaps Angelos would force him to be a little more thrifty when other people's money is involved. He is a "win now" at all costs guy. He sold his teams reportedly because of tax and debt concerns, not because he wanted to get out of sports.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
John Hart? Is the new trend to hire someone working on TV as an analyst? Thank goodness Chris Berman is too much of a boob to hire. Otherwise, from the GM's box, we'd hear "back, back, back" when one of our pitchers give up a home run.

GM Amber Theoharris...I nominate myself as "mid-atlantic cross checker"

Rick Dempsey as GM??? Dave Stockstill???

History coming full circle. The franchise would once again be Bill Veeck's St. Louis Browns. Not that I think Dempsey is as innovative as Veeck, but we could throw away the pretense of trying to win, and just concentrate on marketing a bunch of goofy minor league stunts. I was always partial to air cannons launching chickens and other live animals into the stands between innings.

John Hart? Is the new trend to hire someone working on TV as an analyst? Thank goodness Chris Berman is too much of a boob to hire. Otherwise, from the GM's box, we'd hear "back, back, back" when one of our pitchers give up a home run.

Hart still seems to be relevant to today's game. He was interviewed by Zrebiec a while back:

On what the Orioles must do to compete in the AL East: “It’s a matter of building a superior development program. I think Tampa Bay holds the secret over there as to what certain markets need to do. The Orioles are not nearly as economically challenged as Tampa. … The key for me is building the steady flow of talent. They need to draft well. They need to be a big player internationally. They have to have top-shelf scouts, a frontline development program … They have got to out-scout and out-coach and out-teach and not be afraid to jump in and take the best player available and compete with other teams when the dollars aren’t that big. … At some point, to sustain success, you have to retain your star players once you get them and … when the right free agent presents itself, if it all works out, you have to do it.”

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2011/03/john_hart_talks_orioles_showal_1.html

Sounds like what we want to hear.

Hart also started the trend of locking players up early before FA.

Hart still seems to be relevant to today's game. He was interviewed by Zrebiec a while back:

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2011/03/john_hart_talks_orioles_showal_1.html

Hart also started the trend of locking players up early before FA.

That is remarkably refreshing. If this is actually what John Hart believes and would pursue, then I'm all for him.

Easy to say, "[t]hey have got to out-scout and out-coach and out-teach." Much, much harder to do it. Spending money on talent is the easy part. Identifying and then training that talent is the hard part. Knowing who the good scouts and coaches are, and then luring them away from their current organizations, and then developing a coherent, consistent program to be followed is a lot easier said than done. Whoever we hire next will say these things, but can they build an organization that can do them?

Sounds like someone Angelos wouldn't consider hiring if he was younger and had much less name recognition.

True, but Hart is a former Oriole, and has a good relationship with both MacPhail and Showalter.

Cashman is still the guy I want, but his comments about Buck make me think that isn't going to happen.

Easy to say, "[t]hey have got to out-scout and out-coach and out-teach." Much, much harder to do it. Spending money on talent is the easy part. Identifying and then training that talent is the hard part. Knowing who the good scouts and coaches are, and then luring them away from their current organizations, and then developing a coherent, consistent program to be followed is a lot easier said than done. Whoever we hire next will say these things, but can they build an organization that can do them?

Exactly. Sounds like Hart was basically interviewing for the job through the media. We all say things in a job interview to make ourselves look better than what we actually are. Why? So, we get the job.

Where is your evidence that its not true?

I agree we shouldn't hold that report up as the gospel but at least its something.

There really haven't been any indications that Angelos holds any disdain for MacPhail or vice versa.

It's probably just Knobler just spitballing based on MacPhail's decision to leave. I would assume it's more him being fed up with Angelos vs. the inverse, given the lengthy history and glowing reputation Angelos has earned over the last two decades.

Archived