9/5 Uniforms vs. The U

PrivateO

http://www.uni-watch.com/2011/09/06/more-corporate-bull****-who-really-cares/

Nice takedown of UA by Paul Lukas. Not the uniforms themselves, but how the company decided to promote them.

EDIT: http://www.uni-watch.com/

Unfortunately the direct link URL contains a word the forum filter finds verboten, so this is the home page. Easy to find once you get there, though.

Wow, Paul Lukas should lighten up.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like all the media outlets are making a big deal about Lebron James not liking the unis. I find it strange that none of them are mentioning that James is currently contracted to Nike to the tune of 90 million.

It would be rather shocking for him not to rip the MD unis. My guess is James likes the Oregon unis just fine...

One more from Uniwatch. Someone in the comments did a test picture of the reversed-flag design: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/Timmacane/Uniform%20Concepts/Terrapins_NPCwH_H_1.jpg

I would really like this to be done and from what I've heard from people, there biggest thing against these uniforms (besides the "loudness") is that they should flip either the helmet or shoulderpads to better represent the MD flag.

Can we trade? Penn State's uniforms are one of my favorites of college football, although I don't like that they are dropping the blue/white trim on the sleeves and the collar.

I agree about the trim, although you really don't notice on the players because of the pads. When the fans wear them, though, the change is far more noticeable.

As horrible as the uniforms last night were (my main contention being that non-symmetrical uniforms are hideous), I actually kinda liked the shoes.

Either way, making ridiculous uniforms just to draw people's attention is lame, no matter how effective it is.

I would really like this to be done and from what I've heard from people, there biggest thing against these uniforms (besides the "loudness") is that they should flip either the helmet or shoulderpads to better represent the MD flag.

They'd need to flip the shoulder pads and keep the helmets. That way it would match the flag when player is facing you. Except that I think that is the standard white uniform, which, if they are wearing the turtle shell white helmets, should have the shoulder pads the way they are. So in that case, we have to consider the helmets as an extension of the shoulder pads and consider the whole thing as the top half of the flag.

I don't care. I think it's awesome, which is something I never expected to say this far into my geezerhood. And if the non-symmetricality of it has any distracting effect on the opposition, so much the better.

I will say this, that was the best intro to any game that I have ever seen. I just played this

and started AC/DC thunderstruck at the same time and got goose bumps. The way the students reacted to the intro fired me up.

Thanks to the MD students for giving me a renewed sense of pride in my state and the University I root for.

Haha, John-OH actually found the real one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EZGzOHR1fw&feature=channel_video_title

For anyone that didn't go to the game, I suggest you watch this. This is how the game started. How can you not be fired up?

Here we are 24 hours after the game started and people are still talking about Maryland football. Doesn't matter why. They're talking about them, and it's not some NCAA scandal. The uniforms worked. I liked 'em and they worked.

And the investment being made into the program is going to pay off down the line. Keep generating buzz like this and we'll be doing ok.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/06/terps-borrowed-helmet-design-from-roller-girls/

As pointed out by the Baltimore Sun, there are striking similarities between the helmets worn by the Terrapins last night and the helmets worn by… wait for it… the Charm City Roller Girls’ All-Stars team. According to the team’s captain Hillary Rosensteel — whose roller nickname is “Rosie the Rioter”, incidentally — the helmets are “not identical, but they’re shockingly similar.”

Well, an evening of ESPN programming later, the uniforms definitely worked. It was awesome hearing the Terps in the all the talk shows and TV shows. PTI, Around The Horn, SportsCenter multiple times, etc. Love it, keep it up - and for the right reasons.

Well, an evening of ESPN programming later, the uniforms definitely worked. It was awesome hearing the Terps in the all the talk shows and TV shows. PTI, Around The Horn, SportsCenter multiple times, etc. Love it, keep it up - and for the right reasons.

Exactly. Whether or not people like the unis is completely irrelevant. They're making us more of a "big time" program that gets talked about and that's what they were meant to do. They were never meant to be put on display at the Guggenheim.

Now the rest is up to the team itself. The uniforms got the country's attention, the offense stirred some curiosity (outside the red zone), now they have to follow through and keep winning. Knocking off a West Virginia team that will come into Byrd ranked, a game that will also be shown nationally on one of the ESPN FONs, would be an excellent follow-up to last night.

Now the rest is up to the team itself. The uniforms got the country's attention' date=' the offense stirred some curiosity (outside the red zone), now they have to follow through and keep winning. Knocking off a West Virginia team that will come into Byrd ranked, a game that will also be shown nationally on one of the ESPN FONs, would be an excellent follow-up to last night.[/quote']

Absolutely - It's hard to say that the 2nd game of the season is pivotal - But for us it is. The next few games after the WVU game won't be as much of an opportunity to make a splash. We don't face another top opponent until later October when we play @ FSU. If we play well enough, we could be well within the top 15 by that game. But it starts with WVU.

Archived