Jake Layman

We make a mistake, I think, if we conclude that, because recruiting under Gary also included some prospects in the 20-50 range, clearing two 20-50 recruits constitutes "similar" results - the fact is, we have five blue-chip recruits still being recruited (McGary, Jefferson, the Harrison twins and Britt) in addition to these guys. This means that the upper-end of targets under Gary are providing a baseline now. That's a huge step forward - provided we begin landing some blue chips.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We make a mistake, I think, if we conclude that, because recruiting under Gary also included some prospects in the 20-50 range, clearing two 20-50 recruits constitutes "similar" results - the fact is, we have five blue-chip recruits still being recruited (McGary, Jefferson, the Harrison twins and Britt) in addition to these guys. This means that the upper-end of targets under Gary are providing a baseline now. That's a huge step forward - provided we begin landing some blue chips.

And that those chips can be cashed in for production.

And that those chips can be cashed in for production.
Agreed. I would also note that, though I haven't been around for a while, that I say this not as someone who was particularly critical of Gary. I liked him, and tolerated his eccentricities.

I was critical of Gary - but only for recruiting.

It's really exciting to see the kind of effort Turg is putting into recruiting. If he lands a few more of the rumored blue chip guys, the roster could turn around in a hurry. But he still has to prove he can "coach em up" and turn this into some wins. All in all, he's off to a very promising start.

Honestly, it just makes me more frustrated to wonder how many years were wasted by a refusal to recruit. I don't think it's really all that ridiculous to mention it now when things have completely changed in just a few months. I think it's fair to still bring it up.

Exactly. Turgeon has proved all of us Gary doubters right!. How many years did we waste in mediocrity with a program that should be in the top 25 every year and sweet 16 in most?

I'm glad it's behind us and I'm really glad Turgeon is doing everything I've ever hoped for when it comes to recruiting at Maryland!

Let's go Terps.

Who cares about talking about Gary's recruiting style. That is in the past and it is Turg time baby! Let's focus on his style of recruiting.

The only guys that say this stuff were those of you who have made excuse after excuse for Williams when it came to recruiting. Turgeon has proved in one offseason that he's the kind of guy we should of had here for years. Williams mailed in the recruiting after he won his national championship.

Either way, I'm just glad we can all finally agree that we have head coach who is doing all the right things with recruiting! Go Terps and Go Coach Turgeon!

Things have not changed all that much yet. Layman is a decent player, but is pretty much the caliber of player Williams had been bringing in. Cleare committed, but MD was ahead on him while Gary was still here. It also seems like the Ukrainian player had been high on MD for some time.

Now, it's nice that we're involved with more high-profile guys, but so far we haven't actually landed any of them. Regardless, no one's going to change anyone's mind about Gary at this point. I'd really prefer to just move forward, support Turgeon and the current regime, and let the Gary thing die.

Recruiting was picking up under Gary the last year. Faust, Anderson, and Cleare were good guys we got or were about to get under Gary the last 2 years. However, I'm very skeptical that that was going to continue. Bottom line is Gary was still not out doing a lot of the recuiting himself and he refused to build relationships with a lot of local coaches and programs. Turg is out on the trail all the time and has made an effort to reach out to the local coaches and programs. Long term recruiting wise we are in much better shape than we were under Gary.

The only guys that say this stuff were those of you who have made excuse after excuse for Williams when it came to recruiting. Turgeon has proved in one offseason that he's the kind of guy we should of had here for years. Williams mailed in the recruiting after he won his national championship.

Either way, I'm just glad we can all finally agree that we have head coach who is doing all the right things with recruiting! Go Terps and Go Coach Turgeon!

When Turgeon takes his first team to the Final Four, then you will really have something to crow about. In the meantime, how about giving it a rest? Do you not remember what happened between 1986-1989? As far as I am concerned Gary got damn near a lifetime pass from that NC after sticking it out when the NCAA was talking about giving the Terps the "death penalty" from the Wade years.

As for now, I am very happy with Turgeon and was from the day he was hired. He's the Terps coach and I want to see him take the Terps to the top of the conference and national rankings and keep them there. But so far he's only winning the recruiting buzz game, not even actual signed recruits, let alone the offseason ratings. It still comes down to what he does on the court with whoever he has playing for him.

BTW....as of today Maryland has a top 5 recruiting class for 2012 and are pretty much a lock for a top 20 class. The last time Gary did that was 2003. I don't even care about getting the elite top 10 recruits. I mean it's unbelievable to me that we are even legitimately involved with some top 10 kids. It's consistently getting top 50 kids and top 20 classes that is going to stockpile this program with talent. The bottom line is this is a program that shouldn't be waiting for 1 out of every 4 years to have a legit top 25 team. It should be the complete opposite. We should have a top 25 team 3 out of every 4 years.

Well, this thread went to hell pretty quickly.

No, it's a thread about a top 50 kid commiting to Maryland. Therefore, any talk about Maryland recruiting overall should be expected. Nothing has went to hell anyway. As usual, just people getting super defensive about Gary Williams.

Gary Williams saved the program, built it up, and won a national championship. He had every right to do things his way and as far as I'm concerned he had tenure.

That being said it's obvious that Turgeon is willing to play the AAU game and thus a much better recruiter. There's no doubt that in his short time here he's already put together a recruiting class that rivals the best of Williams'.

No, it's a thread about a top 50 kid commiting to Maryland. Therefore, any talk about Maryland recruiting overall should be expected. Nothing has went to hell anyway. As usual, just people getting super defensive about Gary Williams.

As usual, people just going out of their way to dis Gary Williams.

See, I can play that game too.

My point is - just let it go. Neither side is going to change their mind. The Gary Williams era, for better or worse, is over. The Turgeon era has begun. Rather than bring up Gary in every thread, let's just look forward at this point.

Archived