Very Interesting NY Daily News Article about Angelos and Showalter

calhof2007

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2011/09/06/2011-09-06_with_peter_angelos_in_the_way_buck_showalter_is_powerless_to_restore_the_oriole_.html

Everyone understands the Orioles struggles except Angelos. Here is my favorite quote: "Oriole insiders say that MacPhail, like all the others, operated under the severe handicap of an intractable, clueless owner and an equally incompetent holdover player development department that owes its perpetuity to telling Angelos what he what he wants to hear."

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This seems like a pure Angelos bashing piece and lets MacPhail off the hook. For example I see nothing regarding the professional scouting director who Andy MacPhail hired. It just seems like the author blames Angelos without even looking at the power MacPhail had and his failure as an executive.

The player development stuff is not surprising, but I am convinced Showalter would not have accepted the job unless he could do what he wanted to do.

Oriole insiders say that MacPhail, like all the others, operated under the severe handicap of an intractable, clueless owner and an equally incompetent holdover player development department that owes its perpetuity to telling Angelos what he what he wants to hear

Will Jtrea dismiss this quote?

This seems like a pure Angelos bashing piece and lets MacPhail off the hook. For example I see nothing regarding the professional scouting director who Andy MacPhail hired. It just seems like the author blames Angelos without even looking at the power MacPhail had and his failure as an executive.

The player development stuff is not surprising, but I am convinced Showalter would not have accepted the job unless he could do what he wanted to do.

LOL...I guess so.

Jtrea, do you understand why this is a bash PA article? BECAUSE HE IS THE #1 FREAKING PROBLEM AND NOTHING ELSE IS CLOSE!

Yep :D

LOL...I guess so.

Jtrea, do you understand why this is a bash PA article? BECAUSE HE IS THE #1 FREAKING PROBLEM AND NOTHING ELSE IS CLOSE!

You can't just blame Angelos though. MacPhail was a lousy GM as well failing to allocate resources properly and depending too much on a farm system that wasn't ready to be depended on.

LOL...I guess so.

It gets in the way of his agenda of bashing MacPhail 24-7. Which is pointless, at this stage, since it is completely obvious that MacPhail is gone at the end of this season.

You can't just blame Angelos though. MacPhail was a lousy GM as well failing to allocate resources properly and depending too much on a farm system that wasn't ready to be depended on.

You most certainly can, and should blame Angelos, and perhaps after the next GM falls flat on his face too, you'll start to see things for what they are and stop placing blame on the wrong people.

I pray that the next GM will be more successful so you can make the argument "I told you so." Unfortunately, I am not holding my breath.

Nothing really new in here. What I don't understand, if I am reading this correctly, is why the player development department should have a direct line to Angelos at all.

I was thinking the same thing. Another part of the article mentions how the owners before Angelos would allow their employees do their work and not interfere with them (crazy concept isn't it? :)). Once Angelos came in, he completely destroyed the famous Oriole Way.

I agree with you that AM was poor. I have been saying that for years now, before you were.

That being said, he is still hamstrung by our joke of an owner and PA is still the #1 problem.

If this article was about AM and not PA, you would have made 15 posts in this thread already.

You would eat it up.

Archived