WVU Vs Maryland 9/17 - week 2 discussion

BohBalmer

Part of that is probably due to the fact that WV has not been tested yet and has looked sluggish at times against inferior opponents. They weren't all that impressive in beating Marshall in a game that featured a long weather delay' date=' and they were losing to Norfolk St at halftime before finally waking up. That said, I'm still surprised by that line and would expect it to move towards WV as the bets are placed this week.....but the guys in Vegas usually know what they're doing.[/quote']

I am going to the game this year. I obviously went to WVU, and I do believe that WVU wins. While it is true that we didnt play well against either in the first half of both games, however both games they came out after have time and scored in 5 and 7 straight drives, respoectively. Here is how Md wins. One way. Offensive Line. Our line is basically terrible. Missing assignments everywhere. Ryan Braun is just terrible. He's from Westminster area. I really think they have him out of position. He came is as a defensive lineman. If you can get into the backfield, our 3 freshman RB's haven't done a lot yet. Tavon Austin will love coming home and play in his home state. He did just have knuckle surgery but is expected to play.

The question is can you stop Holgorsen's offense enough to have O'Brien keep you marching down the field. WVU does have Bruce Irvin, a crazy athletic and fast pass rusher who is projected as a 1st rd pick. And we have Keith Tandy, a guy who is on many preseason all defensive teams. He has been burned so far a couple of games.

Word is Holgs is giving the lineman ass -hewing's in the locker room at half time. It is going to be interesting.

I'll be tailgaiting in Lot 11b

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am going to the game this year. I obviously went to WVU, and I do believe that WVU wins. While it is true that we didnt play well against either in the first half of both games, however both games they came out after have time and scored in 5 and 7 straight drives, respoectively. Here is how Md wins. One way. Offensive Line. Our line is basically terrible. Missing assignments everywhere. Ryan Braun is just terrible. He's from Westminster area. I really think they have him out of position. He came is as a defensive lineman. If you can get into the backfield, our 3 freshman RB's haven't done a lot yet. Tavon Austin will love coming home and play in his home state. He did just have knuckle surgery but is expected to play.

The question is can you stop Holgorsen's offense enough to have O'Brien keep you marching down the field. WVU does have Bruce Irvin, a crazy athletic and fast pass rusher who is projected as a 1st rd pick. And we have Keith Tandy, a guy who is on many preseason all defensive teams. He has been burned so far a couple of games.

Word is Holgs is giving the lineman ass -hewing's in the locker room at half time. It is going to be interesting.

I'll be tailgaiting in Lot 11b

I'm guessing the game plan is to play ball control and try to keep the offense off the field. The Terps secondary is pretty darn good, so they might surprise you how much of a fight they put up. I think it's going to be a great game, when it's all said and done this season I see them both being ranked within a couple spots of each other.

I'll be in 11B for homecoming, but I try to make it a point to only go to one game a year.

I hope the sun isn't shining too too much with the all black unis.

The forecast is for a high in the mid 60's. Shouldn't be a problem, but usually they have worn the black unis at night. I guess since that is the coolest of the new choices they want to wear it this time even for a noon kickoff.

Terps will not have Ronnie Tyler and Quinton McCree. That will pretty much take the passing game out of the equation. Unless the Terps can run the ball and completely control the clock' date=' WV will win easily.[/quote']

They will be fine. They still have Dorsey, and they have some good young kids no one has seen yet. The passing game lives and dies with O'Brien, not the WR.

They will be fine. They still have Dorsey, and they have some good young kids no one has seen yet. The passing game lives and dies with O'Brien, not the WR.

I doubt it. Dorsey is probably the best of WRs, but there is little behind him. Not sure what Coxson's status is. I think this completely changes the offensive focus.

I doubt it. Dorsey is probably the best of WRs' date=' but there is little behind him. Not sure what Coxson's status is. I think this completely changes the offensive focus.[/quote']

I saw a couple of the kids that didn't get any game time at practice last week and they could FLY. It's the QB more than the WR, I promise. Have faith.

I saw a couple of the kids that didn't get any game time at practice last week and they could FLY. It's the QB more than the WR, I promise. Have faith.

There is depth at WR but it's unproven. But then again, they were saying the same thing about Tyler and McCree before the season started, though I had little doubt about them based on the little bits they had shown previously. Against Miami the passes were pretty well spread out among Boykins, Dorsey, Tyler, and McCree. If they truly follow the mantra of "next guy up" and each of the young guys has really prepared themselves then they should be okay. At least they had a day's notice to get ready.

Obviously O'Brien is the big component in the passing game, but don't kid yourself either. Losing two of your top three receivers is a big deal. I wasn't worried about the WR depth in the off-season because we've seen guys like Dorsey and Boykins step up and play. Ronnie Tyler is underrated. But losing McCree and Tyler is a loss. It'll have a definite impact and is a major blow. Whether or not the backups are good or not, this is going to change play calling and possibly performance. This really stinks.

Archived