WVU Vs Maryland 9/17 - week 2 discussion

BohBalmer

Obviously O'Brien is the big component in the passing game, but don't kid yourself either. Losing two of your top three receivers is a big deal. I wasn't worried about the WR depth in the off-season because we've seen guys like Dorsey and Boykins step up and play. Ronnie Tyler is underrated. But losing McCree and Tyler is a loss. It'll have a definite impact and is a major blow. Whether or not the backups are good or not, this is going to change play calling and possibly performance. This really stinks.

I'm partially trying to stay positive, but I'm reading between the lines a bit too. The fact that WE suspended them both, at the same time, and right before the WVU game tells me that they can replace them. I don't think they would sabotage themselves to the point they thought they had a good chance to lose the game on TV, especially after all the hard work they did to market themselves to start the season. I think they either would have spaced out the suspensions, or waited until after this game to hand them out if they didn't have some people ready to step in.

Just between that and what I saw at practice, I'm not as worried as you think I'd be. I'll give them a chance and see what happens.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The passing offense I saw against Miami relied heavily on WR screens, which means all of your WRs need to be able to block well. Against Miami Tyler looked especially good at it. I don't care if these other guys can beat Usain Bolt in a footrace....if they can't block or run good routes the Terps' offense has one hand tied behind its back, and the only hope is that they have a huge day running the football and keeping WV's offense on the sideline.

The 2 I saw that caught my eye were Coxson and Leak I've been told. Leak is a true freshman, but wow did he look good out there, and Coxson has a ton of talent, but not much experience. Should be reallllly interesting tomorrow. Crossing fingers already.

I am a little confused by this statement. Did you see them or did someone tell you this?

These guys may be good, but clearly they are not as good as the two who were suspended or they wouldn't have been the starters.

I am a little confused by this statement. Did you see them or did someone tell you this?

These guys may be good, but clearly they are not as good as the two who were suspended or they wouldn't have been the starters.

Agreed, and Edsall has no problem suspending guys. He wouldn't have held off their suspensions just because they wanted to win a football game.

I'm a WVU fan, so obviously I think they will win and probably (hopefully) not have too much trouble. Sure there's a chance the game could go either way (rivalry game and all that), but some of the Terp fans are kind of romanticizing the victory against Miami. You played a Miami team with 8 players suspended and beat them by one score.

I'm partially trying to stay positive, but I'm reading between the lines a bit too. The fact that WE suspended them both, at the same time, and right before the WVU game tells me that they can replace them. I don't think they would sabotage themselves to the point they thought they had a good chance to lose the game on TV, especially after all the hard work they did to market themselves to start the season. I think they either would have spaced out the suspensions, or waited until after this game to hand them out if they didn't have some people ready to step in.

Just between that and what I saw at practice, I'm not as worried as you think I'd be. I'll give them a chance and see what happens.

Your nuts. McCree didn't even do anything. He was there. Didn't participate. Didn't get arrested. Still suspended. Discipline is Edsall's biggest message and this was a prime opportunity to show who is boss. Losing a game along the way, even a rivalry one, is the cost of doing business that way. Especially if it pays off in the long run the way he feels it will. Besides, it may just be the right thing in his mind as well.

This isn't Urban Meyer. He's not going to suspend someone for games that don't matter. Maryland may have some talented backups, but they're unproven, untested, and backups for a reason. A true freshman could start on the D-line. He's not playing favorites.

I'm not saying the game should be bigger than an allegedly criminal act. But if you punch a guy right in front of a cop a guy like Edsall is going to suspend you reflexively. He's not going to wait until you play Towson. It's happening right then, and after that he'll try to come up with a gameplan to replace your butt.

I saw them, but without names on the jerseys I didn't know who was who. I had to ask someone who went there who they were. The other two weren't some super talented receivers that blew everyone out of the water, they were the seniors and the only ones with experience. From the limited time I saw them I'd say the younger two were hands DOWN more talented, it's just a matter of how they respond on game day in the spotlight.

Your nuts. McCree didn't even do anything. He was there. Didn't participate. Didn't get arrested. Still suspended. Discipline is Edsall's biggest message and this was a prime opportunity to show who is boss. Losing a game along the way, even a rivalry one, is the cost of doing business that way. Especially if it pays off in the long run the way he feels it will. Besides, it may just be the right thing in his mind as well.

This isn't Urban Meyer. He's not going to suspend someone for games that don't matter. Maryland may have some talented backups, but they're unproven, untested, and backups for a reason. A true freshman could start on the D-line. He's not playing favorites.

I'm not saying the game should be bigger than an allegedly criminal act. But if you punch a guy right in front of a cop a guy like Edsall is going to suspend you reflexively. He's not going to wait until you play Towson. It's happening right then, and after that he'll try to come up with a gameplan to replace your butt.

Hey, in my defense I said I was totally reading between the lines. I just know at practice the two knuckleheads weren't getting any more reps than anyone else, besides Dorsey, so I assumed either they were still feeling out who was better or they were all a lot closer together than the game time indicated. These two were seniors and had the most game experience, I think that's why they got 13 balls, not because they were by far and away better than other players.

This is the second time BOTH of these two got in trouble for something like this, the other time was the ECU bowl game last year. From what I hear there were stern warnings issued and they were almost kicked off the team, but with the coaching changes, and unproven WR they didn't make that move. Neither one of them has any slack on their leash though. I was a little surprised, with the few details out, that they didn't let McCree play this game and then suspend him for a game or two later, after WVU, that's all. Absolutely no surprise that he cracked the whip on the other knucklehead and made an example. I don't know much about Edsall personally but in the NCAA it wouldn't shock me if he pulled an Urban Meyer. I guess I just got out of it that these clowns aren't as important to the team as they thought they were. Matter of fact I heard from a friend on campus that the rumor is they are both done for the year, and he wasn't sad to see them go.

I'd be stunned if Tyler stepped on the field again. It wouldn't surprise me if McCree came back, even as soon as next week. Just a hunch.

If it means more Tony Logan on the field though, that's a good thing.

My guess with regard to McCree's return is one, or both, of the following:

- Edsall wants to get all of the information on the incident and have it confirmed that McCree was just a bystander.

- There are certain conditions that a suspended player must meet before being reinstated.

Remember, with DJ Adams it was not announced immediately after the Miami game that he would return. In fact as recently as this Tuesday he was not listed on the depth chart for tomorrow's game, and Edsall didn't say until Wednesday that Adams was back and would be in the game plan. If all McCree is guilty of is a curfew violation, it would surprise me if it's more than one game too. Edsall is strict, but not unreasonable. But if that's the case, again, there are possibly some conditions McCree must meet in addition to sitting out one game.

The other interesting dynamic here is that both of these guys have had issues in the past, before Edsall arrived. I would think it's likely that all of the players started with a clean slate with Edsall as soon as he took over. But remember that Tyler and McCree's position coach, Lee Hull, is a holdover from Fridge's staff....so I wonder what sort of influence Hull might have on Edsall with regard to the past issues with these guys.

Just a bit off the topic, but does anyone know how I can watch this game? ESPN.com says that it is on ESPNU, but I don't have cable. I do have ESPN3 on XBOX, but it doesn't appear to be available on there. There seem to be two other local ACC broadcasts (the Duke game and some other terrible one), but no Terps. Will this one be broadcast on any other local channels?

Just a bit off the topic, but does anyone know how I can watch this game? ESPN.com says that it is on ESPNU, but I don't have cable. I do have ESPN3 on XBOX, but it doesn't appear to be available on there. There seem to be two other local ACC broadcasts (the Duke game and some other terrible one), but no Terps. Will this one be broadcast on any other local channels?

Well I'm gonna be traveling to a wedding during the game, so I'll be hopefully watching it on my Droid X2 with the "Watch ESPN" app. I've only fooled with it a little in the past and have never actually tried to watch an entire game, so I'm crossing my fingers that it actually works pretty decently. I would figure that if it's on that app that it would be on ESPN3 as well, but who knows.

You are 100% correct. Edsall is all about not putting yourself in a situation to get in trouble. He suspended many of players at UConn for living up to his expectations. A big game will not change his mind and will not prevent him from suspending players.

Well I'm gonna be traveling to a wedding during the game, so I'll be hopefully watching it on my Droid X2 with the "Watch ESPN" app. I've only fooled with it a little in the past and have never actually tried to watch an entire game, so I'm crossing my fingers that it actually works pretty decently. I would figure that if it's on that app that it would be on ESPN3 as well, but who knows.

I read where ESPNU broadcasts will no longer be shown on ESPN3. But the Watch ESPN should work.

Archived