Black holes in your Orioles memory

Frobby

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tim Raines was a gimmick signing, made at the end of the 2001 season so that he could play a few games with his son, Tim Raines, Jr. Raines only played 4 games for the Orioles, all in October 2001, so it is not surprising that you don't remember him.

TiRainesandTRJr.jpg

all stars before they came here, who ended their careers here (or pretty much ended them):

Valenzuela

Sid Fernandez

Dwight Evans

Rick Burleson

Joe Carter

Eric Davis

Doug Drabek

Pat Hentgen

Raffy (the second time)

Sammy Sosa

Ozzie Guillen

Tim Raines Sr

Chris Sabo (maybe he didn't end his career here, not sure)

Alan Wiggins

Fred Lynn

Lee Lacey

Bob Horner tried to come out of retirement one spring training with us but failed

Keith F---ing Moreland the worthless piece of ----

Jamie Quirk

Jaret Wright

Kris Benson

Rick Helling

Vladimir Guerrero

So who is next? Johnny Damon? David Ortiz?

I remember most of those, but Jamie Quirk? No recollection of him as an Oriole whatsoever.

No black holes in my memory. I remember them all since 1993 anyway.

Brett Barberie, Leo Gomez, Mark Eichhorn, Mike Oquist, Rick Krivda, Jack Voight, Sherman Obando, Scott Klingenbeck, Rocky Coppinger, Todd Frohwirth, Pat Rapp, Ricky Bones... The list of them goes on and on...

I remember them probably from having to put their names in over and over again in Hardball III and from Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball on SNES.

Wow, Obando. That takes me back.

Also, I don't recall Calvin Pickering making it up to the majors as an Oriole. Someone told me he did, but I just never looked it up. :P

I would put the names into Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball, too. I still remember being pissed off that:

1) Chris Hoiles was by far the most musclebound individual in that game.

2) Brady Anderson and Mike Deveraux both had 6 speed. GRIFFEY had 6 speed! You're kidding me.

I remember most of those, but Jamie Quirk? No recollection of him as an Oriole whatsoever.

Really? The next to last day of 1989, we had to beat the Blue Jays to stay alive into the final day of the season. Pete Harnisch can't pitch because he stepped on a nail in the supposedly clean city of Toronto. The game is close late, and a key wild pitch by Gregg Olson costs us the game. And what catcher was unable to field that wild pitch? It was Jamie Quirk.

Oates got a bum deal IMO. It looked like we were going to challenge for the wild card in 94 before the strike, and as you said, he had them over .500 for 3 seasons. I know we would gladly go back to that kind of team now. It was kind of the beginning of the Angelos era, actually. He sort of left things alone for a few years when he first bought the team. After Regan in 95 he let go of Hemond and brought in Gillick and Johnson and the rest is history.

To actually be fair to Angelos, I thought I recall an article in which he said, years later of course, that firing Oates was a mistake.

all stars before they came here, who ended their careers here (or pretty much ended them):

Valenzuela

Sid Fernandez

Dwight Evans

Rick Burleson

Joe Carter

Eric Davis

Doug Drabek

Pat Hentgen

Raffy (the second time)

Sammy Sosa

Ozzie Guillen

Tim Raines Sr

Chris Sabo (maybe he didn't end his career here, not sure)

Alan Wiggins

Fred Lynn

Lee Lacey

Bob Horner tried to come out of retirement one spring training with us but failed

Keith F---ing Moreland the worthless piece of ----

Jamie Quirk

Jaret Wright

Kris Benson

Rick Helling

Vladimir Guerrero

So who is next? Johnny Damon? David Ortiz?

Your list is mostly 1980s and on. From the 1970s. Nelson Briles and Jim Northrup had pretty decent careers that ended in Baltimore.

Really? The next to last day of 1989, we had to beat the Blue Jays to stay alive into the final day of the season. Pete Harnisch can't pitch because he stepped on a nail in the supposedly clean city of Toronto. The game is close late, and a key wild pitch by Gregg Olson costs us the game. And what catcher was unable to field that wild pitch? It was Jamie Quirk.

I was 8 years old. To me, Jamie Quirk was the guy with the funny name on my baseball cards who played for the Royals. We didn't have cable so I couldnt' see all the games, though network TV did carry a lot of them back then.

I still remember most of the players who played for us, but I don't remember Jamie Quirk at all.

Not bragging, just that I have a bizarre and almost completely useless knack for remembering and obsessing over meaningless baseball players, but I think I have a pretty fair memory of almost every Oriole from about 1980-on. My problem will probably start when I'm trying to remember 2011, which I'm starting to refer to as "The Year Without Baseball." I actually saw an Orioles box score the other day with several names I didn't recognize. That's probably the first time that's happened since I was 9.

Looking over the list (bb-ref query of everyone with 15+ PAs with the O's) I can't say I have any real recollections of Jarvis Brown or Ricky Jones. Everybody else I could probably give you at least a couple sentences about.

Here's a really dangerous thing - you could ruin my productivity at work for days with "Stump Drungo" by naming a random Oriole from the last 30 years and challenging me to dump the contents of my brain on them without looking anything up.

Archived