Goldstein's article on O's ESPN's Kiss 'em Goodbye

Hutman

Kevin Goldstein posted this today on ESPN Insider.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/6948267/mlb-baltimore-orioles-2011-fate-2012-prospects

Since its Insider Content, a few tidbits.

One, he advocates signing Fielder, says he's the perfect fit for B'more.

Two, sign Edwin Jackson to shore up the rotation

He advocates Josh Byrnes as the next GM

He says we have 3 building blocks in Wieters, Jones and Hardy.

Finally, and of course his best point, "this is going to take a long, long time to fix."

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/6948267/mlb-baltimore-orioles-2011-fate-2012-prospects

Finally, and of course his best point, "this is going to take a long, long time to fix."

Keep it in context though. Goldstein knows a good amount about prospects, but his ego has gotten the best of him the last couple years. He thinks he is the end all be all and I've seen him wrong quite a few times recently. That being said, he knows nothing about running a baseball franchise, at least nothing more than any of us on here, so don't give these comments any more weight than say SportsGuy or JTrea.

These two points seem mutually exclusive to me.

These two points seem mutually exclusive to me.

It depends on:

A. What is a "long, long time"?

B. How long we could lock Fielder up for? (I feel silly even typing that, by the way. He'll be the Yankees' batboy before he'll be our 1B)

Fielder is 27. Wieters is 25. Jones is 26. Hardy is 29. If we can't get it done before those guys are out of their prime, then this point is invalid as well:

It depends on:

A. What is a "long, long time"?

B. How long we could lock Fielder up for? (I feel silly even typing that, by the way. He'll be the Yankees' batboy before he'll be our 1B)

Fielder is 27. Wieters is 25. Jones is 26. Hardy is 29. If we can't get it done before those guys are out of their prime, then this point is invalid as well:

Your definition of perfect is different then mine Sammy. A guy can't be a perfect fit, for me, if the O's are paying him a premium price for 3+ seasons when they are not competitive.

They make a really good point in reference to the starting pitching...

When Showalter arrived in 2010, the O's went from last to first in defensive efficiency, but they were back at the bottom this year.

We talk a lot about how bad the starting pitching is, but playing solid defense makes a big difference. We're simply just not converting balls in play to outs. I wish these stats were a bit more readily available. I'd love to know if the O's are in a close bunch at the bottom of the league or are truly elite bottom feeders in that sense.

They make a really good point in reference to the starting pitching...

We talk a lot about how bad the starting pitching is, but playing solid defense makes a big difference. We're simply just not converting balls in play to outs. I wish these stats were a bit more readily available. I'd love to know if the O's are in a close bunch at the bottom of the league or are truly elite bottom feeders in that sense.

Check out team defense at Baseball Reference. You see the club is a total -51 in RS. Adam Jones accounts for -18 and Mark Reynolds another -25. Move Jones to LF and keep Reynolds on 1B and you have almost league average defense.

This. :agree: Sign Darvis and Jackson. We'd be better off than signing Fielder, and have money left over.

Sign them both. Sign either Josh Willingham, or Crisp, and try and find a 3B. Davis, and Reynolds 1B/Dh, and Adams or Andino at 2B. Let the chips fall where they may.

I would love to see a rebuild, but it ain't happenin', so spend some dang money, but not on RP. I would like to see a trade for Chase from SD for 3B, but it would cost quite a bit. Maybe they could move some young pitching, I don't know?

Archived