Adam Dunn has three hits in 100 PAs vs Lefties

DrungoHazewood

That's really it. 3-for-83 with 16 walks and a HBP.

A real, live baseball player, who just signed a $60-some-million contract has a non-trivial split where he has three hits in 100 PAs. And he's a DH.

I'm not often amazed by things that happen in baseball, but that's pretty darned amazing. I'm pretty confident that you could give me 100 PAs against major league pitching and I'd get three hits.

For fun I looked up everyone who ever had a MLB season with exactly 100 PAs. As you might guess it's a lot of pitchers, and some other guys thrown in. The fewest hits among those 167 seasons of exactly 100 PAs was seven, by Tom Seaver and three other guys. Dean Chance was one of them, in 1964. In '66-'67 Chance went 5-for-168. Adam Dunn, against lefties, is a lot like Dean Chance.

How many times do you see good NL hitters come to the AL only to get completely owned by AL pitching? It seems to happen every season to somebody (Lance Berkman last year comes to mind), although they usually don't crater as badly as Dunn has. Is the AL really that much better?

Dunn sits to end the year and does not get enough at bats to qualify for the batting title. Shame his .160 mark would have shattered Rob Deer's .179 mark set in '91.

I think he qualifies anyway. There's that rule that says if you add an additional number of hitless ABs to get to 502 PAs, and the guy is still ahead, he wins. So Dunn is currently 6 PAs shy of qualifying, and if he went 6-for-6 he'd still be hitting .171.

Here's a weird thing I never knew, but stumbled upon looking at Dunn's comparables: A very obscure Cleveland second baseman from early in the 1900s named John Peter Gochnaur qualified for the batting title and hit .185 with 16 doubles, four triples, and zero homers in consecutive seasons, 1902-03.

Archived