John Heyman : Hearing John Hart as a possibility for GM

jamesenoch

And you know just what GM jobs will be availablke in 3 years how?

For someone that likes to overuse statistics it's funny that you can't figure out the average amount of turnover for GMs year to year. Here's a hint: over the past 3 seasons it's 10%. In 2007 it was >20%. There will be GM jobs. That being said I know people scattered throughout the industry, and I've already heard his name mentioned as a candidate.

There are so few GM jobs available compared to the number of applicants that when one opens up, no matter how bad, you take it. Hence why we can always manage to hire one here.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For someone that likes to overuse statistics it's funny that you can't figure out the average amount of turnover for GMs year to year. Here's a hint: over the past 3 seasons it's 10%. In 2007 it was >20%. There will be GM jobs. That being said I know people scattered throughout the industry, and I've already heard his name mentioned as a candidate.

There are so few GM jobs available compared to the number of applicants that when one opens up, no matter how bad, you take it. Hence why we can always manage to hire one here.

This is exactly why you can't say with certainty that any candidate will get hired. This season there are two GM openings. Next year who knows?

This is exactly why you can't say with certainty that any candidate will get hired. This season there are two GM openings. Next year who knows?

And like you said, how do you know this? No one will know exactly how many until after the season when hires, fires, retirements and position shifts start to happen. If they have averaged more than 3 per year over the last 4 years, I'm willing to bet there will be more than 2. Same goes for next year, which means there will be 6 openings in the next 2 years based on the statistics from the past 3 years. In the next 6 openings Levine will get a job, he is very highly thought of in a couple circles, and like I said, I've already heard of 2 teams that want to interview him.

Despite all the speculation, I'm still not convinced that MacPhail is leaving. And IMO, that wouldn't be a bad thing.

I'd be astounded if he is staying. He's been absolutely mute since the trade deadline, and he has been so noncomittal about coming back from the very first day of the season.

So if Cashman or Hart becomes the GM and we still don't land Fielder, how will JTrea81 spin that?

And like you said, how do you know this? No one will know exactly how many until after the season when hires, fires, retirements and position shifts start to happen. If they have averaged more than 3 per year over the last 4 years, I'm willing to bet there will be more than 2. Same goes for next year, which means there will be 6 openings in the next 2 years based on the statistics from the past 3 years. In the next 6 openings Levine will get a job, he is very highly thought of in a couple circles, and like I said, I've already heard of 2 teams that want to interview him.
Which two teams?

You'll see in the offseason. I wouldn't get to have fun conversations with people if I went around putting everything I hear off the record on blast on the internet would I? And these are friends, not "sources".

AS, you mentioned that Cashman was interested in the O's job. He made some comments though supposedly about Showalter that didn't seem like they'd get along very well. So that's just rivalry stuff then, and Cashman wouldn't have a problem with Buck?

You'll see in the offseason. I wouldn't get to have fun conversations with people if I went around putting everything I hear off the record on blast on the internet would I? And these are friends, not "sources".
Just what I thought 60% BS, 40% idlle gossip. :rolleyestf:

What about the most likely option of them landing neither? Will you stick around without Fielder/Pujols in the fold?

It would have to be a pretty impressive Plan B including one of Ramirez and Wright and possibly Darvish.

Or a huge blowup of the team with Guthrie, Hardy, Reynolds, Markakis, Jones, Wieters etc gone.

They have to go all-in for something this offseason or I'm done. This team has been hemorrhaging fans so they've got to show them including me that they are serious about putting a competitive team on the field in 2012 or completely gutting this core to win in 2013-2014. If they don't care about winning, I will no longer care about them and invest that time elsewhere.

I want to see exciting Orioles baseball next season, be it a bunch of talented youngsters, or a veteran team in their prime ready to get to the playoffs.

I'd much rather see winning baseball, but I'd stick around as well to see what a complete blow up would look like.

If they half-ass anything though, forget about it.

AS, you mentioned that Cashman was interested in the O's job. He made some comments though supposedly about Showalter that didn't seem like they'd get along very well. So that's just rivalry stuff then, and Cashman wouldn't have a problem with Buck?

My conversation was mostly 2nd hand with a good friend of his, so I didn't think to ask details like what he thought of the staff, but I did get the impression that he would want to tear things all the way down and do them the RIGHT way. I don't know if that includes the coaching staff or not, but I know it referenced scouting/player dev.

Archived