Bigger Bust?

Hank Scorpio

Who's the bigger disappointment?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the bigger disappointment?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand your frustration completely, but 2 wrongs don't make a right. It is clear that Wieters has been labeled very unfairly by a good number of posters. I think Wieters' long-gradual evolution into a top-notch catcher on defense and offense is plenty of vindication for him. :)

I've been a staunch Matt Wieters supporter through all of it, just for the record.

Matusz... I just don't know about Matusz.

I've been a staunch Matt Wieters supporter through all of it, just for the record.

Matusz... I just don't know about Matusz.

Me too regarding being a Wieters fan. Matt's growth since his call-up in June of 2009 has been very slow, very gradual ........ but VERY definitive, also. :thumbsup1: To me, he is currently the antithesis of a flash in the pan.

I mean I agree Matusz has been bad but he didn't have the expectations and he was hurt this year. I'm willing to give him a pass for now, and chalk this up as a lost/bad season.

You're willing to give Matusz a pass for now, but yet you proclaimed Wieters to be "the biggest bust in franchise history" ??? Nice balanced thinking there.

Matusz had a 3.1 WAR last year. Wieters' WAR this year is 3.6

This vote isn't as close as it should be IMO especially when you consider expectations when they were prospects.

But, I don't want to piss off SirMeowMeow with any more "idiocy".

If you want to say, "I'm really disappointed in Matt Wieters compared to my unrealistic expectations, and want to use ridiculous hyperbole to make that point," then go ahead. That's pretty dumb, but whatever.

If you're saying that the book has been written, Matusz and/or Wieters are what they are and that we now know they will never be the stars they were projected as, then that's just plain stupid. It flies in the face of everything we know about baseball. Every single year, players have down seasons, and mobs of fans and sportswriters shriek about how they're done. And then next season, they all look like idiots. Because they were being shortsighted and alarmist.

Archived