MD vs Temple 9/24

Birds of B'more

Funny, because where MD is now is pretty much exactly where Oregon was when they stared with the goofy uniform schtick. Insignificant as a program.

This.

The unis are attracting attention to the program - which it needs. The program right now is just not good. Did anyone think that new unis would make these players better? The unis are fun, cool, and get attention. Maybe they help bring in some new recruits. But to blame them for the performance of a team that we knew wasn't any good seems like a stretch.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I highly doubt the uniforms have anything to do with the loss.

My point was that a team with limited abilities really doesn't need distractions. It wasn't to say that a uni makes a team play better or worse. Let someone else pick the damn unis.

Like a lot of people I think one too many guys got caught up in press clippings whether about the unis or the program and decided they could get by with only 80 percent that week. Temple then kicked them around.

I also played D1 ball and much to my surprise even at that level I found out that certain guys are more into their image than in actually preparing for the game.

This.

The unis are attracting attention to the program - which it needs. The program right now is just not good. Did anyone think that new unis would make these players better? The unis are fun, cool, and get attention. Maybe they help bring in some new recruits. But to blame them for the performance of a team that we knew wasn't any good seems like a stretch.

This. The unis do attract attention to the program which is great IMO unless they perform like they did vs temple. At that point it's just lipstick on a pig.

My point was that a team with limited abilities really doesn't need distractions. It wasn't to say that a uni makes a team play better or worse. Let someone else pick the damn unis.

Like a lot of people I think one too many guys got caught up in press clippings whether about the unis or the program and decided they could get by with only 80 percent that week. Temple then kicked them around.

I also played D1 ball and much to my surprise even at that level I found out that certain guys are more into their image than in actually preparing for the game.

Teams do that regardless of uniforms. The game was a joke, but I just don't see a case to use the result as an anti new uniform argument.

Well I coach HS players now and I can tell you that the Unis have created a buzz among the several D1 prospects we have. I don't know if it is going to change the real blue chippers minds, but it will have an impact on the next tier guys that you have to have to win, IMO. Quite honestly there seems to be a lot of guys that either don't have the skill set that Edsell's staff needs or just as likely are not BCS quality starters getting time at MD. This very well might be the strongest thing the staff will be able to offer on the recruiting trail. Sell them on the program is changing into the Oregon of the east and you will have the opportunity to play right out of the gate.

BTW DOB looks completely lost. He, even when everyone was raving about the game against the canes, has looked hesitant and very indecisive all year. IMO his strength last year was the way he controlled the game. The staff needs to get him comfortable fast or this is going to be a disaster of a season offensively. The coaches might need to move some stuff toward last years system to get him comfortable. He is much better than he has looked. The D is going to give up points meaning the Terps have to score a lot to be respectable this year.

A majority of this team was also part of the team that won 9 games last year and was a two-minute drill away from beating Florida State and possibly going to the ACC Championship Game. That this is suddenly a "rebuilding" job is laughable. I never expected a BCS berth with this squad. But I sure as hell didn't expect a 31-point loss at home to Temple.

All the good will Edsall built up is gone. The only reason the ice isn't thin is because of the generous contract he's got. But I'm pretty darn far from impressed. And his special teams coach needs fired right the heck now. That guy clearly has no clue.

Archived