How can Penn be this bad????

Flosman

I don't think this is it at all. Penn has been about as bad as you can be in his first two starts this year. He's giving up lots of hits, and many of those are going for extra bases. The outs that he does manage to get are hit hard.

My fear is that Penn will be one of those pitchers who cannot pitch well if everything isn't working for him. Guys like Loewen, Bedard, and Cabrera, have shown that they can get by with minimal damage even if they don't have their best stuff. I'm worried that Penn is like Chen; if he's off, if he misses his spots by just a couple of inches, it gets smashed. If that is the case, then unless Penn develops impeccable command, I don't think he'll ever be a great pitcher.

Penn has much better stuff then Chen and comparing the two is not even close!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think this is it at all. Penn has been about as bad as you can be in his first two starts this year. He's giving up lots of hits, and many of those are going for extra bases. The outs that he does manage to get are hit hard.

My fear is that Penn will be one of those pitchers who cannot pitch well if everything isn't working for him. Guys like Loewen, Bedard, and Cabrera, have shown that they can get by with minimal damage even if they don't have their best stuff. I'm worried that Penn is like Chen; if he's off, if he misses his spots by just a couple of inches, it gets smashed. If that is the case, then unless Penn develops impeccable command, I don't think he'll ever be a great pitcher.

Yeah, but Chen's throwing wads of tissue paper up there. I'd HOPE that Penn has better stuff.

Penn has much better stuff then Chen and comparing the two is not even close!

Obviously he does. But that better stuff hasn't prevented him from getting hammered in two starts. Cabrera's had games where his curve wasn't working but he still managed to keep his team in the game. Bedard's had games where all he had was his fastball and curve that he couldn't throw for a strike and still post a quality start.

It's obviously too early to make any judgement, but I think there's reason for some concern. Everything except for maybe a couple of ground balls was hit hard off of Penn today. Is that what we can expect when he has the occasional, inevitable game where his curve isn't working?

Obviously he does. But that better stuff hasn't prevented him from getting hammered in two starts. Cabrera's had games where his curve wasn't working but he still managed to keep his team in the game. Bedard's had games where all he had was his fastball and curve that he couldn't throw for a strike and still post a quality start.

It's obviously too early to make any judgement, but I think there's reason for some concern. Everything except for maybe a couple of ground balls was hit hard off of Penn today. Is that what we can expect when he has the occasional, inevitable game where his curve isn't working?

You say it's too early to make a judgement, yet you did, why, if it's too early? He's had 2 bad starts, so what he's 21 years old!

Bterp's post really puts things in perspective. The current all time type rookie crop sure did stink in their cup of coffee appearences. I think something is going on with him and think Leo will have a pretty good shot at figuring it out for him. The batters seem to know whats coming even when they probably shouldn't (for example Jeter's 2 strike HR). I think he also is pitching to high in the zone or not high enough with his FB. You just can't be thigh high in the majors. I just hope he turns the corner before the end of this season and gives a quality start. I am sure his confidence has taken a hit. At times today he almost seemed as if he could not believe it was happening.

Good grief the guy has pitched twice in 15 days, how can anyone stay sharp like that, much less an inexperienced kid? If there's anyone to blame for this it's the management for not having a clear plan when they bought him up and letting him pitch on normal rest.Not to mention the fact that he has probably heard RoLo grumble about having to go to the pen for him.Plus he only pitched about half a year given his late start then the appendcitis. My guess is that he is trying to do too much with every pitch and isn't pitching like himself.Not unusual for rookies trying to impress.

Cabrera still has games like this after being in the majors over two years and he gets more chances than Cuellar.

What I have thought about today is that John Maine looked horrible last year. This year in an extended chance, he looks pretty darn good.

I hope they stick with Penn throughout September. He may not be ready to be in the rotation to start the year. Perhaps he starts in the bullpen, but I hope we don't trade him because of a few bad September starts.

What I have thought about today is that John Maine looked horrible last year. This year in an extended chance, he looks pretty darn good.

I hope they stick with Penn throughout September. He may not be ready to be in the rotation to start the year. Perhaps he starts in the bullpen, but I hope we don't trade him because of a few bad September starts.

Also Loewen looked pretty bad hi sfirst couple of starts.

I knew there would be a thread like this.:rolleyes: Have some faith, people.

I knew there would be a post like this :rolleyes: Come on, this is an O's message board! One of our brightest prospects comes up for the second time and gets hammered in consecutive starts. People are gonna wanna talk about it. Nobody's saying the guy's doomed for failure.

I knew there would be a post like this :rolleyes: Come on, this is an O's message board! One of our brightest prospects comes up for the second time and gets hammered in consecutive starts. People are gonna wanna talk about it. Nobody's saying the guy's doomed for failure.
Look, I don't have the time to look through this thread right now, but has anyone mentioned the incredible shrinking strike zone for Penn today? I thought his control and location were pretty good, at least the parts that I saw. The guy has a big-league arm, without question. Of all the things to complain about, jeez.

Look, I don't have the time to look through this thread right now, but has anyone mentioned the incredible shrinking strike zone for Penn today? I thought his control and location were pretty good, at least the parts that I saw. The guy has a big-league arm, without question. Of all the things to complain about, jeez.

Yeah, there's no reason to complain about a guy who's been fantastic in the minors all year, and even had his good moments in the majors last year, come up and first get killed by one of the worst hitting teams in the majors, and then again (though admittedly by a better team). I doubt anyone expected him to come up and throw a bunch of shutouts but he's been, quite simply, awful in his short time here. We're just discussing it.

The strike zone was pretty atrocious today. There were a lot of pitches that Penn deserved but didn't get. Still, it's not a very good excuse for pitching as poorly as he did. Rookie jitters, maybe, but he's got a lot of work to do.

I went ot today's game. Penn couldn't throw his curve ball for a strike, and when he threw his change-up, it seeedm the Yankees could tell it was coming.

I think he had 7 days between his last Ottawa start and his first Baltimore start, and then after pitching 1/3 of an inning he went another 6 days between games. I think he has just lost a little bit of command. Keep sending him out there every fifth day, and don't panic.

Tell you one thing. He threw a gutsy 3-2 changeup to Jeter, who hit it like he knew what was coming. Even Kaat and Singleton were saying that it seemed likely Penn was tipping his pitches, and said that he and Mazzone would iron that out

They also said that minor leaguers would have been swinging at a number of Penn's pitches that were just off the plate, and that he was going to have to be more consistent on corners

Archived