Game 162 vs. Rosh Hashanah

Frobby

I'm not Jewish but my first wife was. She passed away a number of years ago and I still have many friends at her Temple. Normally I will attend the High Holidays to honor her memory and visit with my friends but...however...maybe...Idontknow...I mean, Yom Kippur is next firday, right?

Sandy understood my obsession with the Orioles.

This is the biggest game we've had in a decade.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 years later...

I can't even believe I have to bump this thread again. Some genius at my synagogue -- clearly not a baseball fan -- decided that our services should begin at 5:30 tonight, up from the usual 6:45. So I'm going to have to abandon watching the game and the scoreboard in the 6th/7th inning today, in all likelihood, and try to get my mind onto the subject of all the things I did wrong last year and what I need to do better this year to lead an ethically and morally better life. Hard to do when the fate of the baseball universe hangs in the balance.

Many posters will remember that when this happened in 2011, I set my DVR to record for 5 hours, watched when I got home not knowing what had happened, and my DVR ran out of time as Reimold's game-tying double was just leaving the bat. One of the most frustrating sports viewing experiences I've ever had. I guess I'll have to set my DVR tonight for 6 hours in case the game goes 20 innings.

To all my OH colleagues, it's a tradition that on Rosh Hashanah you are supposed to ask your fellow men for forgiveness. So if I've written any posts that offended you, seemed condescending or where I was dismissive or rude towards you, please forgive me and I will try to do better this year. L'shanah tovah (happy new year).

The final game of the season happens to coincide with the first night of Rosh Hashanah. I was seriously considering getting tickets to this game before I realized the conflict. And now, I have to say it's killing me that it could turn out to be a game that decides whether Boston is in the playoffs. I'll be in services, trying to repent for all the sins I committed this year, while all the time wanting to run outside and check the score of the game. And even if the final game is rendered unimportant by the events of tonight and tomorrow night, the thought of not watching the Orioles' last game of 2012 is really bumming me out.

I'm going to DVR this game, because you can't DVR Rosh Hashanah services. I'm just hoping my piety will be duly rewarded. ;)

L'Shana Tova.

I can't even believe I have to bump this thread again. Some genius at my synagogue -- clearly not a baseball fan -- decided that our services should begin at 5:30 tonight, up from the usual 6:45. So I'm going to have to abandon watching the game and the scoreboard in the 6th/7th inning today, in all likelihood, and try to get my mind onto the subject of all the things I did wrong last year and what I need to do better this year to lead an ethically and morally better life. Hard to do when the fate of the baseball universe hangs in the balance.

Many posters will remember that when this happened in 2011, I set my DVR to record for 5 hours, watched when I got home not knowing what had happened, and my DVR ran out of time as Reimold's game-tying double was just leaving the bat. One of the most frustrating sports viewing experiences I've ever had. I guess I'll have to set my DVR tonight for 6 hours in case the game goes 20 innings.

To all my OH colleagues, it's a tradition that on Rosh Hashanah you are supposed to ask your fellow men for forgiveness. So if I've written any posts that offended you, seemed condescending or where I was dismissive or rude towards you, please forgive me and I will try to do better this year. L'shanah tovah (happy new year).

Happy New Year.At least it doesn't look like Ian Kinsler has to worry about playing tomorrow. Orioles might be in a game on Yom Kippur.We should always hope and pray.Get an orange shofar.Or an orange Show far.

Jehovah bless you, my friend. You are among God's chosen people. See you when the playoffs start . . .

I had to abandon the game after Gausman got the first out in the 8th. Went to services, said my prayers,got home, ate a quick dinner, turned my DVR on and nearly puked my dinner back up when I watched Gausman give up a hit and then Britton give up two more and a run and nearly more. But all's well that ends well, and the New Year has started off well!

Archived