Terps vs. Georgia Tech

JohnD

DOB certainly should start. But he needs to play much, much better.

I remember in the spring Edsall said it wasn't certain that DOB would be QB1, and everyone chalked it up to coach speak, but maybe he was being real. If this is how he looked in the spring, I can't blame him.

If that's how O'Brien looked in the spring coming off of last season, maybe we should blame Edsall :P

Brown went four of 17 in the game with a pick. I didn't get home in time to see O'Brien play today, but you can't tell me that he was so bad that it gets him benched beyond this afternoon and turns us into Georgia Tech circa last season (unless Brown learns REAL quick).

I don't mind moving to a primarily rushing attack if the QBs are going to struggle to learn the offense or work with the receivers or whatever needs to happen, but if we're going to take any advantage that gives us we should have the best QB on the field. That's still O'Brien.

At the very least, I don't want to have to go buy a new jersey :P

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If that's how O'Brien looked in the spring coming off of last season, maybe we should blame Edsall :P

Certainly could be some truth there. I don't really know. It's not like Friedgen had a stellar record w/QBs here, though he did well elsewhere.

DOB was benched today after yet another truly awful INT. Brown's arm wasn't awful, but he was no where close to most of his receivers. Just not on the same page at all.

We'll see what Edsall does, but I'm sure DOB is still QB1. But he has to play better.

You wanna know how quickly Edsall's MD football has lost me. Thats it. Granted, I understand the expectations aren't that high but man should there be more buzz and a better product than we are seeing now. Edsall will be gone inside of 5 years. Book it.

It's too bad he's not gone after this year.

Loved how he credited the coaches when asked what went right in the game on Saturday. When it came to the good things, the players listened to the coaches and did what they were coached to do? Could there be a bigger phony?

It's too bad he's not gone after this year.

Loved how he credited the coaches when asked what went right in the game on Saturday. When it came to the good things, the players listened to the coaches and did what they were coached to do? Could there be a bigger phony?

When did he say that? He at least gave praise to the players on his Twitter account.

@RandyEdsall

Randy Edsall

Proud of the rally by our team, really tough to lose Gonnella. Great team leader, great spirit, great passion for football.

@RandyEdsall

Randy Edsall

Disappointed that we didn't win, but very pleased with how hard our guys played for 60 minutes. Defensively, we played extremely well.

@RandyEdsall

Randy Edsall

Excellent game yesterday by Joe Vellano. One of the most outstanding performances I have ever seen out of a defensive lineman.

When asked what specifically his defensive players did well, Edsall said: “I thought they did what they were coached to do. They went out and executed the game plan that the defensive coaches put together. You do that, that’s what happens.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/maryland-football-fights-valiantly-but-falls-to-georgia-tech-21-16/2011/10/08/gIQAxtRwVL_story.html

Sounds like pretty high praise of the players to me.

Sorry, John, that is nothing more than looking for a reason to dislike the guy.

Certainly would have liked a win yesterday, but they gave a top 15 team a run for their money on their home field.

The Clemson game will be another interesting test.

Someone made a solid analogy the other day when they said it feels like the mid 90s all over again. MD football is on the downswing and MD basketball on the upswing. I do thing that very well could be the way we are headed.

Someone made a solid analogy the other day when they said it feels like the mid 90s all over again. MD football is on the downswing and MD basketball on the upswing. I do thing that very well could be the way we are headed.

That is certainly possible. Or, maybe not.

Whatever happened in the mid 90's has no effect on what is happening now.

Both coaches have been very successful prior to their arrival at MD. Both deserve equal chances to make their marks on the program, and fortunately both should get those chances.

Both coaches have been very successful prior to their arrival at MD. Both deserve equal chances to make their marks on the program, and fortunately both should get those chances.

Agree with this 100%. It's going to take some time for both of these coaches to make their marks.

Edsall has sure said some stupid things, but if he turns things around in the next few years, this will all be forgotten.

No. But after everything that's happened I didn't expect them to add to it by creating a QB controversy where there absolutely shouldn't be one.

Keep in mind that O'Brien was third string at the beginning of the season last year, and only moved up to starting after Robinson was ineffective then injured and Brown was injured on his first play from scrimmage against Morgan State. I still believe in O'Brien, but Brown was pretty highly rated coming out of high school. If he hadn't broken his collar bone we might not have seen much of O'Brien at all last year.

Of course the mid 90's doesn't have an effect on on whats happening now. But my gut tends to agree. I think the football program on the whole won't find the success Fridge found for most of the last decade and the basketball program will be better than where Gary had it for most of the last decade.

Keep in mind that O'Brien was third string at the beginning of the season last year, and only moved up to starting after Robinson was ineffective then injured and Brown was injured on his first play from scrimmage against Morgan State. I still believe in O'Brien, but Brown was pretty highly rated coming out of high school. If he hadn't broken his collar bone we might not have seen much of O'Brien at all last year.

No he wasn't. Friedgen gave serious thought to burning O'Brien's redshirt because he was playing so well in practice. He ultimately didn't, and then last season began with O'Brien as the number two, but everyone knew he'd play since Jamarr Robinson was hardly a secure starter. CJ Brown was a solid third on the depth chart.

It was O'Brien, not Brown, who played in every game last season, save for WVU, I believe. Brown did get hurt on his first play against Morgan State, broke his collar bone, but he was always the third stringer last year.

Archived