What evidence do we have that Angelos...

Skeletor

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't realize that Roberts had been traded ;)

Last offseason, MacPhail and the representatives for likely Hall of Fame designated hitter Vladimir Guerrero had drawn a monetary line in the sand and were seemingly at a standstill when Angelos told MacPhail to spend what it would take to get the free agent.
source - The Sun

is still meddling? Since the Roberts trade.

Is there a belief that he's been hands off the last couple years with MacPhail and what are the chances he does the same with a new GM?

Which Roberts trade? Atlanta I guess?

1. I think he influenced the Roberts extension and perhaps possible subsequent Roberts trade(s). I don't think AM wanted anything to do with giving Roberts 4/40.

2. I suspect there is something to the scouting and player development side of things with PA resisting change to the good old boy network.

Beyond that, I don't know. I suspect AM had much more leeway than his predecessors and a lot of this stuff is exaggerated. Obviously there is the Tejada issue and probably quite a few others in the past, but they probably go back pre-Roberts trade fiasco.

Sounds to me like Buck is wielding the influence now and was carrying a lot of it last offseason as well.

I didn't realize that Roberts had been traded ;)

Last offseason, MacPhail and the representatives for likely Hall of Fame designated hitter Vladimir Guerrero had drawn a monetary line in the sand and were seemingly at a standstill when Angelos told MacPhail to spend what it would take to get the free agent.

source - The Sun

I don't take that as proof of meddling. Maybe MacPhail knew what his limit was, and Angelos then gave him permission to exceed it. Crazy thought, maybe...but that sounds more like an owner who wants to win.

I don't take that as proof of meddling. Maybe MacPhail knew what his limit was, and Angelos then gave him permission to exceed it. Crazy thought, maybe...but that sounds more like an owner who wants to win.

Yeah, except the sad part of is that the Vladdy money reportedly came at the expense of player development money. If true, I wonder if that part was know upfront by all parties.

The line in the sand was $3M, which ended up being deferred in the deal. Another point of view is why is Angelos getting involved in decisions at that level?

The line in the sand was $3M, which ended up being deferred in the deal. Another point of view is why is Angelos getting involved in decisions at that level?

Because it was a disagreement between Buck and Andy and PA took Buck's side. If it were DT instead of Buck it wouldn't have much mattered what DT thought.

Because it was a disagreement between Buck and Andy and PA took Buck's side. If it were DT instead of Buck it wouldn't have much mattered what DT thought.
Gee, I thought Andy was the team president, and Buck was the field manager who worked for Andy. Why was Angelos involved again?

I'm glad he did. Vlad was a risk that was worth taking that MacPhail wanted no part of. It didn't quite work out the way it was planned, but still the risk was worth it IMO.

If only he'd gotten involved with the Tex negotiations and when Matt Holliday was available...

I'm glad he did. Vlad was a risk that was worth taking that MacPhail wanted no part of. It didn't quite work out the way it was planned, but still the risk was worth it IMO.

If only he'd gotten involved with the Tex negotiations and when Matt Holliday was available...

There's a pretty big difference between $8MM or whatever the heck Vlad got and eleventybazillion dollars (roughly speaking what Tex and Holliday got) don't you think?

Archived