Josh Hamilton - CF

Michael Young - DH

Adrian Beltre - 3B

Mike Napoli - C

Nelson Cruz - RF

David Murphy - LF

Mitch Moreland -1B

C.J. Wilson - LHP (16-7, 2.94 ERA)

I will be happy with either one. My heart says the Tigers but my wallet says the Rangers.

I don't know. I think the Tigers have a nice advantage since Verlander will be fully rested and maybe even be able to pitch in 3 games. Leland got a great performance out of Doug Fister Thursday night which made that decision look really good. My hope though is this one goes seven games. Guess I slightly prefer the Rangers given that I want a team that's never won the WS to have a chance. Same reason why I root for the Brewers in the NL but Tigers-Cardinals have some neat history and with the exception of 2006 they were good world series too.

You know, I think that the Tigers showed that they are a complete team by beating the Yankees, considering that the one game that Verlander pitched, he was mediocre. Before that series started, I was thinking that the Tigers' best chance was if Verlander dominated the Yankees in at least one game (perhaps two games if the rain had not messed up the original schedule). 3 wins against the Yankees, 2 of which were "Verlanderless", and the 3rd win occurred with their ace pitching decently, but far from his vintage self of 2011.

Verlander is struggling again in this opening game of the A.L.C.S. If the Rangers win this game, it will be very impressive (and interesting) if the Tigers can win 4 out of the next 6 games, 3 of which will probably be without their ace.

Archived