Mazzone still unemployed

JTrea81

Anybody else find it interesting that Mazzone hasn't found another pitching coach job yet? This guy is supposedly one of the best PCs in the majors and he's still out of work. Looks like Leo's reputation took quite a hit. I wonder if word got out that he can't work with young pitchers...

I wonder if word got out that he can't work with young pitchers...

Anyone's reputation will suffer if unsubstantiated speculation is allowed to masquerade as a fact.

I guess when the Braves led the league in ERA for a decade they did it with a staff full of graybeards.

Anybody else find it interesting that Mazzone hasn't found another pitching coach job yet? This guy is supposedly one of the best PCs in the majors and he's still out of work. Looks like Leo's reputation took quite a hit. I wonder if word got out that he can't work with young pitchers...

There is no supposedly about him being one of the best PCs. I'm not surprised he hasn't signed on w/anyone yet. I'm sure he's going to be a lot more deliberate and a lot more careful to make sure the next team he associates himself with does things the right way and makes success possible. When a coach has the track record that Mazzone has goes to a place like Baltimore and doesn't have success I think most rightfully assume that the problem has a lot more to do with the organization than it does with the coach.

Maybe it's no more complicated than the fact that Mazzone was simply a bad fit for Baltimore at this particular moment. My money's on him succeeding again elsewhere, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he were being a lot more deliberate in accepting his next offer.

Then again maybe he and Sam have just gone fishin' and intentionally turned their cell phones off.

And who would blame them if they did?

I love how the O's always sign these big names or big coaches. These coaches then proceed to suck in B-more, then move on and make their way into the HOF on good teams. It always amazes me.

Who are you referring to, exactly? I can't think of many "big name" coaches the O's have signed recently other than Mazzone. Maybe you could count Mike Hargrove, but he didn't go on to any HOF success in his next stop (Seattle). Davey Johnson was a big name, but he had tremendous success here. Who are you including in this group?

He is being paid a half a million dollars to do nothing. After all these years of travel he can sit a year out and get paid for it. I am not surprised that he is doing that.

Exactly. He'll still be the highest pitching coach in baseball, and he doesn't even have to punch the time clock.

Archived