Olney: O's GM Candidates and Search Committee

VeveJones007

Uggh. Potentially bad news reported by the Boston Herald:

Two baseball sources have confirmed that Theo Epstein is on the cusp of leaving his job as general manager of the Red Sox [team stats] to accept a position with the Chicago Cubs that is believed to include powers greater than he has in Boston, with an announcement expected to be made “within the next 24 to 48 hours.”

Epstein leaving would likely be a terrible development for the Orioles, as the Red Sox could easily hire a candidate who otherwise could be a great hire by the Orioles as GM. I hope the Sox aren't still high on LaCava, but I would think they still are. If the stupid Orioles FO and Angelos hadn't been so incredibly incompetent and slow with all of their decisions, they could and should have already been in the interviewing process by now. Instead, the decision on MacPhail dragged on for weeks when it should have been decided before the end of the season.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Epstein leaving would likely be a terrible development for the Orioles, as the Red Sox could easily hire a candidate who otherwise could be a great hire by the Orioles as GM. I hope the Sox aren't still high on LaCava, but I would think they still are. If the stupid Orioles FO and Angelos hadn't been so incredibly incompetent and slow with all of their decisions, they could and should have already been in the interviewing process by now. Instead, the decision on MacPhail dragged on for weeks when it should have been decided before the end of the season.

The new "Oriole Way"!

I think Cherrington is the guy there.

It's also bad news if you really want the O's to sign Pujols or Fielder. Getting Epstein almost ensures that the Cubs will get public funding for Wrigley, meaning that the team is relieved of $300-$500 million to pay off debt and spend on the team.

It's a good list, with the glaring exception of Ricciardi. He's by far the worst candidate, and I have a really bad feeling he'll wind up with the job because he has GM experience, and experience in the AL East at that. This is the same feeling I got when I heard the Orioles were looking into Kevin Gregg last offseason.
I think one of the people on our list gets the Boston Job. Unless Cherrington takes it.

Without a formed group of interviewers, and no requests made, I'll chalk this up to Olney's speculation.

Wake me when the interviews begin.

ETA Dollars to donuts, John Angelos is involved. Then, the committee brings its recommendation to Big Pete for him to cross-examine at length, maybe at Sabatino's.

I think the speed of the process will indicate how little or how much Angelos is truly involved. A quick turnaround would be a big positive, but I don't expect to see that.

Without a formed group of interviewers, and no requests made, I'll chalk this up to Olney's speculation.

Wake me when the interviews begin.

ETA Dollars to donuts, John Angelos is involved. Then, the committee brings its recommendation to Big Pete for him to cross-examine at length, maybe at Sabatino's.

I've said it before, I'll say it again...this process will take entirely too long. I agree with SG that we'll get Ricciardi...we'll make an awful choice here. This has disaster written all over it.

This. I want to be optimistic, but I've seen this movie before. We sink with the Titanic at the end.

Archived