Olney: O's GM Candidates and Search Committee

VeveJones007

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Without a formed group of interviewers, and no requests made, I'll chalk this up to Olney's speculation.

Wake me when the interviews begin.

ETA Dollars to donuts, John Angelos is involved. Then, the committee brings its recommendation to Big Pete for him to cross-examine at length, maybe at Sabatino's.

I'm going to Sabatino's on Saturday night. Maybe I'll see him there and can offer my services? :thumbsup1:

For once, I'm removing myself from the minutia of this process and am expecting the worst. I'm certainly open to being pleasantly surprised. ;)

I agree. I'm not gonna get worked up about this anymore because I am fairly certain the decision will a) take forever, and b) be a bad one.

I agree with SG and the others, and its why I was SO irate when I heard Buck and Andy were gonna "take the weekend" to decide...this friggin decision should have been made months ago that MacPhail wasn't coming back. The interview team should have been discussed weeks before the season ended. Interviews should have begun Thursday September 29th. Once again the Orioles do everything bass ackwards and will be left holding the Derrek Lee of GM's. Which will lead to being behind schedule in evaluating the organization. Which will lead to poor decisions and missing out on trades and FA that may be available. Which will lead to another 5th place finish and losing season number 15 in a row.

Yeah...I am just gonna sit back and stay emotionless here! :cussing:

Interesting that four of the candidates (Levine, LaCava, Jennings, and Hunsicker) are directly connected to international scouting or come from organizations known for it.

Yeah. If Peter brings in someone and we suddenly start making waves in the international market, I wonder if people on here will finally admit that it was MacPhail's philosophy to stay our of that market, and he wasn't covering for some Grand Peter conspiracy?

Of course, knowing this place, they will say Peter is doing it to make it look like it was MacPhail's doing! :rofl:

Yeah. If Peter brings in someone and we suddenly start making waves in the international market, I wonder if people on here will finally admit that it was MacPhail's philosophy to stay our of that market, and he wasn't covering for some Grand Peter conspiracy?

Of course, knowing this place, they will say Peter is doing it to make it look like it was MacPhail's doing! :rofl:

What kind of international presence did we have before AM?

I still think we get a new GM soon. The Epstein move might slow it down a little bit but by middle of next week or the week after we should have a GM. I think they only interview three or four people.

It took this team 3 months to hire Buck after Trembley was fired, and that was DURING the season. I have little confidence this happens quickly.

Having Buck on the committee is a terrible idea, if he has a decisive role. I know this goes against the grain of most peoples' thinking. But no GM worth his nuts would walk into a situation where the manager is his de facto boss. That way, if the team fails, it's your fault for not getting him the right players and he can push you out the door. The manager has too much control (which I think is part of what drove Andy out the door).

The fun of being a GM is assembling your team - and that includes picking a manager. So I think Angelos, if he's going to pick a new GM, should basically do so with the understanding that Buck may or may not be retained by that GM - either immediately or after next season, or whenever. The reason being, the GM might have his own ideas about what kind of players to acquire, and what style of baseball he wants to see on the field. If he cannot make his vision a reality on the field, than he's doing nothing but pushing papers, negotiating salaries once an offseason and getting coffee for Buck.

That is the model of dysfunctionality. So that's pretty much how I expect it to go down, seeing that this is the Orioles we're talking about.

Having Buck on the committee is a terrible idea, if he has a decisive role. I know this goes against the grain of most peoples' thinking. But no GM worth his nuts would walk into a situation where the manager is his de facto boss. That way, if the team fails, it's your fault for not getting him the right players and he can push you out the door. The manager has too much control (which I think is part of what drove Andy out the door).

The fun of being a GM is assembling your team - and that includes picking a manager. So I think Angelos, if he's going to pick a new GM, should basically do so with the understanding that Buck may or may not be retained by that GM - either immediately or after next season, or whenever. The reason being, the GM might have his own ideas about what kind of players to acquire, and what style of baseball he wants to see on the field. If he cannot make his vision a reality on the field, than he's doing nothing but pushing papers, negotiating salaries once an offseason and getting coffee for Buck.

That is the model of dysfunctionality. So that's pretty much how I expect it to go down, seeing that this is the Orioles we're talking about.

This is a great post. I, too, am worried about how this is all going to play out. If Buck is the de facto GM, then I'm not quite clear on what the role of someone we hire will be.

I hope my worries are for naught...but I know who we are talking about here. I think it's possible to find someone who will work with Buck to make this team better for now and the long run. I'm just sure we're not going to pick the right person.

Archived