Theo Is taking the Cubs Job

weams

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's hoping he fails miserably. I cannot stand the Cubs. No team gets such recognition and attention for sucking for so long. May the dumb curse of the goat or whatever carry on and keep these losers from winning a World Series for another 100+ years and may every move that Theo makes backfire miserably.

Here's hoping he fails miserably. I cannot stand the Cubs. No team gets such recognition and attention for sucking for so long. May the dumb curse of the goat or whatever carry on and keep these losers from winning a World Series for another 100+ years and may every move that Theo makes backfire miserably.

I wouldn't wish 100 years of futility on any team's fans (except the Yankees and Red Sox). I hope Theo leads them out of the wilderness. And I hope the Sox sink back into it.

I wouldn't wish 100 years of futility on any team's fans (except the Yankees and Red Sox). I hope Theo leads them out of the wilderness. And I hope the Sox sink back into it.

I understand your view. I'm just tired of seeing so much attention given to the Cubs when all they do is lose.

Anyway, it certainly does feel that an era is over in Boston, even if their core players are coming back and the roster mainly stays the same.

Theo has given out 2 of the worst 6 contracts in baseball over the past 2 off-seasons according to Posnanski.
But after nine years, it is clear that free agency is the weakest part of his game. In fact, now that Hendry has left Wrigley Field, Epstein just might be the least accomplished general manager in the game at manipulating the free-agent market.

Theo Epstein should be held accountable for the Red Sox collapse. - Link.

The Epstein 11:

2003: Keith Foulke, three years/$20.5 million. (Stabilized the closer position. Closed out 2004 World Series.)

2004: Edgar Renteria, four years/$40 million. (Bought out after one dismal season for an additional $12 million. Renteria played in Boston for one year for $22 million.)

2005: Julio Lugo, four years/$36 million. (Hit .251 in three seasons. Part of the revolving door for Red Sox shortstops since Epstein traded Nomar Garciaparra.)

2005: Matt Clement, three years/$25 million. (An 18-11 record with a 5.09 ERA in two seasons. One All-Star Game.)

2006: Damon, allowed to leave via free agency after posting 197 hits in 2005. Replaced by Coco Crisp, three years/$15.5 million, who was ultimately replaced by the emerging Ellsbury.

2007: Daisuke Matsuzaka, six years/$52 million, plus a $52 million posting fee that did not count against payroll. (Won 2007 World Series. A .620 career winning percentage. Hasn't pitched 170 innings in a season since debuting in 2007. Has averaged five wins over the last three seasons.)

2007: JD Drew, five years/$70 million. (Average season in Boston: 121 games, .264 average, 16 HR, 57 RBI.)

2010: John Lackey, five years,/$82.5 million. (A 26-23 record, 5.26 ERA, 375 IP, 436 hits so far.)

2010: Mike Cameron, two years/$15.5 million. (A .219 average in 81 games over two seasons. Traded in July of this year. The team moved Ellsbury out of center field upon acquiring Cameron.)

2010: Adrian Beltre, one year/$10 million. (.321 AVG, 49 2B, 28 HR, 102 RBI, All-Star.)

2011: Carl Crawford, seven years/$142 million. (Dismal first season in Boston, but too early to pass judgment.)

Beltre is the only good contract on that entire list.

But after nine years, it is clear that free agency is the weakest part of his game. In fact, now that Hendry has left Wrigley Field, Epstein just might be the least accomplished general manager in the game at manipulating the free-agent market.

Which just goes to show you that free agency is far down the list in terms of priorities for building a successful franchise.

Archived