Theo Is taking the Cubs Job

weams

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Theo Epstein should be held accountable for the Red Sox collapse. - Link.

The Epstein 11:

2003: Keith Foulke' date=' three years/$20.5 million. (Stabilized the closer position. Closed out 2004 World Series.)

2004: Edgar Renteria, four years/$40 million. (Bought out after one dismal season for an additional $12 million. Renteria played in Boston for one year for $22 million.)

2005: Julio Lugo, four years/$36 million. (Hit .251 in three seasons. Part of the revolving door for Red Sox shortstops since Epstein traded Nomar Garciaparra.)

2005: Matt Clement, three years/$25 million. (An 18-11 record with a 5.09 ERA in two seasons. One All-Star Game.)

2006: Damon, allowed to leave via free agency after posting 197 hits in 2005. Replaced by Coco Crisp, three years/$15.5 million, who was ultimately replaced by the emerging Ellsbury.

2007: Daisuke Matsuzaka, six years/$52 million, plus a $52 million posting fee that did not count against payroll. (Won 2007 World Series. A .620 career winning percentage. Hasn't pitched 170 innings in a season since debuting in 2007. Has averaged five wins over the last three seasons.)

2007: JD Drew, five years/$70 million. (Average season in Boston: 121 games, .264 average, 16 HR, 57 RBI.)

2010: John Lackey, five years,/$82.5 million. (A 26-23 record, 5.26 ERA, 375 IP, 436 hits so far.)

2010: Mike Cameron, two years/$15.5 million. (A .219 average in 81 games over two seasons. Traded in July of this year. The team moved Ellsbury out of center field upon acquiring Cameron.)

2010: Adrian Beltre, one year/$10 million. (.321 AVG, 49 2B, 28 HR, 102 RBI, All-Star.)

2011: Carl Crawford, seven years/$142 million. (Dismal first season in Boston, but too early to pass judgment.)

Beltre is the only good contract on that entire list.[/quote']

I wish I rooted for a team who could blame their GM for dismally stumbling to six playoff appearances in nine years, including two World Championships, and at least 86 wins every season. Oh, in direct competition with the $200M New York Yankees, and the Rays.

Remember, most free agent deals are failures, and the larger the budget the more spectacular the failure. Show me a GM of a big market team who hasn't signed a free agent that didn't work out. You can't, because probably 75% of free agent deals don't live up to the billing. I think we tend to forget that, when our only exposure to free agency is gnashing our teeth over how Mark Teixeira isn't leading us to glory.

I wish I rooted for a team who could blame their GM for dismally stumbling to six playoff appearances in nine years, including two World Championships, and at least 86 wins every season. Oh, in direct competition with the $200M New York Yankees, and the Rays.

Agreed. This place cracks me up at times.

Remember, most free agent deals are failures, and the larger the budget the more spectacular the failure. Show me a GM of a big market team who hasn't signed a free agent that didn't work out. You can't, because probably 75% of free agent deals don't live up to the billing. I think we tend to forget that, when our only exposure to free agency is gnashing our teeth over how Mark Teixeira isn't leading us to glory.

I know, it kills me too. What about drafting and developing Lester, Buchholz, Papelbon, Elsbury, Pedroia, Lowrie? Lester, Elsbury, Pedroia are stars. Buchholz is still TBD, Lowrie will likely be a solid player for years to come. While I hate Papelbon he's had some very good years and is still a better closer than most teams have.

The O's haven't drafted and developed a legit star since..... I dunno, Mussina? Roberts was probably a 2nd tier guy, not perennial all-star.

The Red Sox are a very well run organization. If the O's were ran half as well we wouldn't be in the mess we're in.

o

The Red Sox have produced excellent teams, but a grotesque fan base.

Kind of like getting a date with a beautiful woman, only to find out that she is an arsonist that likes to burn down buildings in her spare time.

Who hasn't enjoyed a crazy chick from time to time...?

Is Theo's contract up? Why would Boston expect compensation then?

Still had a year left on his deal with Boston.

The deal is expected to be finalized by the end of this week. The Cubs and Red Sox still have to talk about compensation for letting Epstein go when he still had a year on his deal. As was reported last night, however, compensation is not expected to be in the form of a top major league player. Most likely it’s a minor leaguer.

While that all may be true, I think his free agent results are worse than the norm.

Obviously his farm system has produced a lot of talent for them and he has had a large budget to be able to get away with a fair amount of mistakes.

While that all may be true, I think his free agent results are worse than the norm.

Obviously his farm system has produced a lot of talent for them and he has had a large budget to be able to get away with a fair amount of mistakes.

Why wasn't David Ortiz listed in the FA acquisitions? That seemed to work out pretty well. Millar wasn't a star but was certainly useful, particularly in that first WS win, as an OBP producer. Seems like picking up Ortiz's extension for 2011 was pretty darn smart, too (.950 OPS; 3.8 rWAR)

How about trades for Beckett, Schilling, Lowell, Bay, Gonzalez?

How about overseeing development of Pedroia, Ellsbury, Youklis, Buchholz, Lester, Lowrie, Papelbon, Bard, as well as the trio that turned into Gonzalez (Rizzo/Kelly/Fuentes), or the duo that landed Beckett/Lowell (Hanley/Sanchez)?

How about the current state of their Minors, including some talent ready to help if needed, and a stacked lower-level?

Anyone who thinks his successes didn't far outweigh his failures is not being honest with their appraisal.

Why wasn't David Ortiz listed in the FA acquisitions? That seemed to work out pretty well. Millar wasn't a star but was certainly useful, particularly in that first WS win, as an OBP producer. Seems like picking up Ortiz's extension for 2011 was pretty darn smart, too (.950 OPS; 3.8 rWAR)

How about trades for Beckett, Schilling, Lowell, Bay, Gonzalez?

How about overseeing development of Pedroia, Ellsbury, Youklis, Buchholz, Lester, Lowrie, Papelbon, Bard, as well as the trio that turned into Gonzalez (Rizzo/Kelly/Fuentes), or the duo that landed Beckett/Lowell (Hanley/Sanchez)?

How about the current state of their Minors, including some talent ready to help if needed, and a stacked lower-level?

Anyone who thinks his successes didn't far outweigh his failures is not being honest with their appraisal.

I did not post that list.

I'm also enjoying your "anyone who thinks" lines after quoting a post of mine when they don't represent what I think.:D

Obviously he's done a good job overall looking at the success on the field.

As far as your remarks:

Yes, the Ortiz move was great.

Millar was a solid pickup.

Most of those trades worked out quite well. I'm not sure I would give much credit to Theo for Hanley's development and I don't know that I'd give him much credit for dealing him for Beckett/Lowell. It worked out in the short-term, but obviously if he could have landed Beckett in a different way that would have been better. I think he got lucky with Lowell who I believe he was basically forced to take and was considered close to done by many.

I already noted the success of the Sox' farm system during his tenure.

So overall, he's done a good job and his team has had great results, but he also clearly stepped into a very good situation in terms of talent and revenue, and he hasn't done too well with free agent signings.

Epstein going to the Cubs could be great news for the Orioles. Since it seems that almost all Cubs personnel -players, GM's, etc. - eventually end up in Baltimore, that means that 5 years from now Theo might be running the show here......:laughlol:

Epstein going to the Cubs could be great news for the Orioles. Since it seems that almost all Cubs personnel -players, GM's, etc. - eventually end up in Baltimore, that means that 5 years from now Theo might be running the show here......:laughlol:

The problem is by the time they get here they are no longer any good.

Archived