If the Orioles pursue CJ Wilson....

Sports Guy

It does worry me a little bit unless CJ Wilson doesn't want to stay in Texas.

What does Texas(and Nolan Ryan) know that the rest don't know about Wilson if they would rather sign CC for 1.5 times more than Wilson will get?

Right, the conspiracy nut in me is shouting. I have been reading stories recently about how much Wilson likes Texas. One focused on how he is sober (for life) and he likes being on a team with Hamilton, accountability and all. He either likes it there or is playing the part well. Sabathia will throw more innings, but I don't know if hes worth that much more than Wilson (if you can just keep Wilson).

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone know if the Dodgers are shopping Kershaw since it is going to take forever to rebuild that team or are they building around him? (Which is the best option for them, imo.) He'd probably cost too much, probably Bundy/Machado plus a couple of other decent minor leaguers. Is it worth it to give up one of those guys plus some other pretty decent prospects for Kershaw, a dominant number 1 we haven't had in years. He's 23 also. I'd consider it but I'd draw the line if they asked for Bundy and Machado.

They have a lot to do to reach out to the fanbase there (coming off the recent circus). Trading Kershaw would be a disaster, especially if they can't keep Kemp. They won't trade him.

I heard that the Rangers have had more people checking out Darvish than any other team. I think Wilson want's to go west and. listening to him on an XM interview recently, he didn't seem all that concerned with money. I could see him taking less money to pitch for the Angels. I doubt he lets his agent talk to the O's.

Once NYY and Boston get involved in the bidding we can forget about it. But assuming the price tag is something like 5/80. That would work for me. Assuming Britton gets better year over year that's two tough lefties that fit well in OPACY.

I heard that the Rangers have had more people checking out Darvish than any other team. I think Wilson want's to go west and. listening to him on an XM interview recently, he didn't seem all that concerned with money. I could see him taking less money to pitch for the Angels. I doubt he lets his agent talk to the O's.
Yea, i see him going west or going to Boston or NY for an insane contract.

Isn't Wilson essentially the 2011 equivalent of 2004 Derek Lowe, but a bit better? Lowe was 31 years old and had 3 years under his belt as a starter when he was a free agent. He was worth about $15-16 mm/yr the next 4 years, then $11 mm/yr the last 3.

I think the Burnett/Lackey deals (5/$82.5) probably set the floor for Wilson. For us, we'd probably need to go 5/$95 mm or 6/$110 mm to be in the ballpark. Not a lot of mileage on the arm, so yeah, I'd probably do it.

If I'm going 115M on Wilson, I'm bidding on Darvish first.

Pass.... he will get offered what he wants from the Sox or the Yankees. We will never get a top tier pitching FA and I'm not sure I have a problem with that. We need to focus on trading for what we need and I'd like them to consider Darvish, but isn't likely to happen.

Wow...if the Rangers get Darvish AND Sabathia...just WOW!

Wilson looks intriguing but with Darvish, we just have to bid the highest posting fee and we get exclusive negotiating rights. If he doesn't want to come to Baltimore, he can opt to stay in Japan. I believe the posting fee does not have to be paid or is refunded in the event that a player chooses not to sign with the team that won the bid, am I correct?

Signing CJ Wilson to a long term deal would communicate more that the team is serious about contending now than that we've suddenly started making better baseball decisions.

I see pitchers like John Lackey and I worry about CJ Wilson in the future, but in the FA market, you need to take risks. I like how you've outlined the pros and cons here and personally, I think Wilson would be a great fit for < $90 Million.

Even then, I would consider spending big on him to be an acceptable risk. All the peripheral considerations seem to indicate he would have success here.

He can almost ask for he wants.

If Verlander doesn't win MVP, CC should IMO.

He is so valuable to the Yankees that they almost have to give him what he wants.

I wonder if he really wants money. He was reluctant to come to NY in the first palce. Maybe he wants to go West as well.

Archived