2011 Top-30 Prospects thread

Tony-OH

Bridwell is raw, but he's not the kind of raw you would normally see out of a guy with his profile, where he brings the heat but not much else. He's got a deep arsenal: three different fastballs, a slider, and a change, and he uses it all. His two-seam is great, and when it's on he could pretty much rely on it, but he doesn't, he consistently works in his cutter, slider, and change, and hopefully eventually they'll all become pitches he can really use.

Also I think everyone is underrating Kyle Simon. He was downright unhittable at Aberdeen (and picked up the Ks at Delmarva). He throws in the low to mid 90s with crazy movement. Not a lot of secondaries to speak of, but out of the bullpen he should move quickly. He reminds me of Alfredo Simon with more movement.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bridwell is raw, but he's not the kind of raw you would normally see out of a guy with his profile, where he brings the heat but not much else. He's got a deep arsenal: three different fastballs, a slider, and a change, and he uses it all. His two-seam is great, and when it's on he could pretty much rely on it, but he doesn't, he consistently works in his cutter, slider, and change, and hopefully eventually they'll all become pitches he can really use.

Also I think everyone is underrating Kyle Simon. He was downright unhittable at Aberdeen (and picked up the Ks at Delmarva). He throws in the low to mid 90s with crazy movement. Not a lot of secondaries to speak of, but out of the bullpen he should move quickly. He reminds me of Alfredo Simon with more movement.

This was my take. Also, no love for Trent Howard anywhere?

He'll probably slot in somewhere on the back half of my list. An absolute joy to watch when he's on, deep arsenal, to the point where he can legitimately throw any pitch in any count. Sits about 89-91, I think I saw him hit 93 once. Maybe doesn't have the pure stuff or frame to dominate, but he's got everything else. One of the nicest guys I've ever met, too.

I could quite honestly see just almost all of the Orioles' top ten 2011 draft picks (of the ones I saw at Aberdeen, not qualified to speak on Bundy/Esposito/Delmonico/Ruettiger) making the big leagues some day. Compared to the 2010 and 2009 classes, this is looking like a big improvement already.

Why???
Because Delmonico is about where Bridwell was last year, and I guess he thinks Hoes and Esposito don't match Bridwell's upside.

Delmonico is a high school player with upside, but with a bit of an up-and-down senior year and no professional performance. Hoes is a solid 2B bat who failed to adapt to 2B. I think he'll hit, but he'll almost need to max-out offensively in order to make up for his move to a corner OF position. And Esposito is a purportedly plus fielder with some questions about bat speed and no professional experience.

I could be wrong on this, and much of what I say is gleaned from other sources, but don't let Bridwell's numbers fool you. He was a part-time baseball player a year ago with a lot of projection and a 86-91 MPH fastball. Now he's sitting in the low 90s, touching the mid-90s, mixing in a cutter and throwing his secondaries with regularity. Not many guys who part-time it make it to A ball in their 19 year old year. He's on a very good track, and he has some of the best pure stuff in the organization. His delivery is repeatable, and he's a heckuva athlete.

I could be wrong on this, and much of what I say is gleaned from other sources, but don't let Bridwell's numbers fool you. He was a part-time baseball player a year ago with a lot of projection and a 86-91 MPH fastball. Now he's sitting in the low 90s, touching the mid-90s, mixing in a cutter and throwing his secondaries with regularity. Not many guys who part-time it make it to A ball in their 19 year old year. He's on a very good track, and he has some of the best pure stuff in the organization. His delivery is repeatable, and he's a heckuva athlete.

Great stuff, LJ and eb. So, do you put Bridwell at 5, or slot him somewhere between Hoes, Delmonico and Esposito?

He'll probably slot in somewhere on the back half of my list. An absolute joy to watch when he's on, deep arsenal, to the point where he can legitimately throw any pitch in any count. Sits about 89-91, I think I saw him hit 93 once. Maybe doesn't have the pure stuff or frame to dominate, but he's got everything else. One of the nicest guys I've ever met, too.

I could quite honestly see just almost all of the Orioles' top ten 2011 draft picks (of the ones I saw at Aberdeen, not qualified to speak on Bundy/Esposito/Delmonico/Ruettiger) making the big leagues some day. Compared to the 2010 and 2009 classes, this is looking like a big improvement already.

It was a very well constructed draft class. I personally would have liked to have seen a couple more high-upside targets, but it was a nice influx of arms and Bundy could be a true impact kid.

I don't think anyone's performance at short-season or low Class A ball is indicative of much, but at minimum Baltimore should get a good ML arm (Bundy) and some solid back-end or relief arms out of the top 10 rounds. Esposito/Delmonico, I think, are going to have their futures determined in large part by their own drive and the organization's ability to develop them.

Our system looks a lot better with guys like Berry and Beal as healthy prospects. Unfortunately, 2011 was very hard on our guys; we also lost Schrader and Klein. Hobgood and Givens going backwards also hurt. You're talking about 6 guys who should be in the top 15 that are struggling to stay in the top 30.

Here's an interesting summary list. There have been nine people that have posted full 30-man lists on this thread. I decided to take a look at the summary if you assign 30 points for a 1st place vote, 29 for 2nd place and so on. Then, I threw out the highest and the lowest ranking to get rid of any outliers. It's a bit crude, but this is what we're left with based on all the input so far (with points in parantheses)...

1. Machado (208)

2. D. Bundy (205)

3. Schoop (196)

4. B. Bundy (189)

5. Hoes (176)

6. Bridwell (162)

7. Schrader (161)

8. Esposito (149)

9. Klein (140)

10. Townsend (136)

11. E. Rodriguez (128)

12. Adams (124)

13. Avery (123)

14. G. Davis (112)

15. Delmonico (110)

16. Esquivel (95)

17. Mahoney (87)

18. Mummey (78)

19. Henry (67)

20. Vader (62)

21. Bernandina (44)

22. Lino (41)

23. D. Baker (39)

24. Coffey (36)

24. Wright (36)

26. Hobgood (33)

27. Wilson (31)

27. R. Berry (31)

29. Drake (30)

30. Angle (27)

Honorable mention: Givens (21), Narron (16), Miclat (16), Veloz (14), Bywater (9), Simon (9), Chalas (7), Cowan (5)

From that, I think Schrader and Townsend are too high, David Baker and Delmonico too low. Delmonico particularly so. Oh, and Drake is way too low, especially in relation to Tony's list, where I could see him being a top ten guy.

Well, I always try and get as many thoughts as possible on guys so the more sources I have on a guy the better I feel. Of course I also feel a TON better when I get my own eyes on them but that's not always possible with the 1st year or just drafted guys. unfortunately, there's not a ton to get excited about so the newly drafted guys are still the shiny nickle.

I'm feeling pretty good about the list this year but I also think there are going to be some surprises up and down the top 30. As always, I'm going to take some grief on some Hangout favorites as they slide down the list.

I just want to know where you have Billy Rowell. :wedge:

Archived