2011 Top-30 Prospects thread

Tony-OH

Here's an interesting summary list. There have been nine people that have posted full 30-man lists on this thread. I decided to take a look at the summary if you assign 30 points for a 1st place vote, 29 for 2nd place and so on. Then, I threw out the highest and the lowest ranking to get rid of any outliers. It's a bit crude, but this is what we're left with based on all the input so far (with points in parantheses)...

1. Machado (208)

2. D. Bundy (205)

3. Schoop (196)

4. B. Bundy (189)

5. Hoes (176)

6. Bridwell (162)

7. Schrader (161)

8. Esposito (149)

9. Klein (140)

10. Townsend (136)

11. E. Rodriguez (128)

12. Adams (124)

13. Avery (123)

14. G. Davis (112)

15. Delmonico (110)

16. Esquivel (95)

17. Mahoney (87)

18. Mummey (78)

19. Henry (67)

20. Vader (62)

21. Bernandina (44)

22. Lino (41)

23. D. Baker (39)

24. Coffey (36)

24. Wright (36)

26. Hobgood (33)

27. Wilson (31)

27. R. Berry (31)

29. Drake (30)

30. Angle (27)

Honorable mention: Givens (21), Narron (16), Miclat (16), Veloz (14), Bywater (9), Simon (9), Chalas (7), Cowan (5)

Here's some fun and perhaps a tip or two, the bolded above are players that I feel are off the mark by where they fall. I don't want to define exactly what that means as to not steal the thunder of the voting process that starts this weekend for each player. I'll have to review the lists again, but there are a few players in our top 30 that have not shown up on any lists.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's some fun and perhaps a tip or two, the bolded above are players that I feel are off the mark by where they fall. I don't want to define exactly what that means as to not steal the thunder of the voting process that starts this weekend for each player. I'll have to review the lists again, but there are a few players in our top 30 that have not shown up on any lists.

Well, I'd expect Bobby Bundy, Schrader and Townsend to drop. I can't imagine any of them moving up the list, so they have to fall. I'd expect some of the younger guys like Esquivel, Vader, and Lino to move up. But, below the top 3, I have no idea how it will all shake out.

Are you suggesting that Bobby Bundy is lower than 4th? I wouldn't really know who else would warrant being in the 4th spot.

Partly because Tony's been a Drake fan for a while now, partly because Drake made some drastic changes to his style this year and got great results, and partly because his ERA is skewed badly by two awful starts at Bowie, after which he was sent down. When he came back up his ERA was 3.90.

Wanted to get a list of 30 out there before it started despite spending less time here. I normally list out 30 in groups of perceived similar talent instead of doing at 1 to 30, but if someone wanted to my list by order of name presented, I guess that's fine. Not sure I can scrounge up any names not yet presented, and, frankly, there are a lot of games it is too difficult to parse through - like our lower level starters and mid-level relievers without more time. That's Tony's job anyway - right.

1 -3 Machado, DBundy, Schoop

4 -8 Bridwell, DelMonico, BBundy, Hoes, Esposito

9 - 10 ERodriguez, Lino

11 - 18 Davis, Klein, Angle, Schader, Adams, Wright, Vader, Esquivel

19 - 23 Drake, Bernadinha, TBerry, Avery, Simon

24+ Mummey, Townsend, Sawyer, Coffey, Miclat, Wirsch and Davies

Couple points - I am still a big believer in Avery and also like Townsend, but think Tony will punch both of them down the lists a good bit. I think that the upside of Davis, Lino and ERod justify putting them this high on the lists. They appear to have quality upsides and there is no shortage of folks in the know on this site that give nice kudos to all three. I like our relievers making their way through our system, but did not see that many with quality ERAs at Frederick or Bowie to justify putting them ahead of the guys at the bottom of the list - talking about RBerry, Henry, Nivar, Pelzer, and Tolliver and possibly also Chalas.

I still see several names with possible major league skills/futures/high signing bonuses/or previous quality prospect status well down our list - hopefully, some of them can re-gain quality prospect status or make big progress in 2011 - talking about guys like Hobgood, Narron, Joseph, Ohlmann, Mahoney, Cowan, Leonora, DBaker and Veloz - who I would normally put on this list, but think Tony will leave off for one more year. There is also the possibility that some lower round picks in 2011 could emerge - Coats, Jones, Ruettiger, Howard, Taylor.

It's a lot of guys of the C/D caliber - lots of them - particularly at the lower levels. Hopefully, several can take big steps forward to justify the investment and strengthen the perceived talent level in the organization. We are not going to lose many guys to the majors next year - it's a young list, and with a quality draft and some supplemental guys emerging, it could be a top 10 quality system entering 2013.

Another tough year, after top 4, it all depends on what you may value more.

My stab at Tony's list:

1. Manny Machado SS - Top SS prospect in the minors.

2. Dylan Bundy RHP - Perhaps top pitching prospect in minors by June 2012.

3. Jon Schoop 2B/3B - Similar profile to Melvin Mora?

4. Parker Bridwell RHP - Raw, perhaps...but quite a ceiling. Very projectable.

5. LJ Hoes OF - Tony loves him some Hoes!

6. Ryan Adams 2B - Showed he can hit anywhere, glove seemed to improve too.

7. Bobby Bundy RHP - Tough minded bulldog who showed better comand and stuff two years in a row.

8. Xavier Avery CF* - Still very young and raw. Improving in all phases and may just be primed for a jump in 2012.

9. Dan Klein RHP - Would be much higher if not for injury. I still think they should get him to start, but keep innings down.

10. Jason Esposito 3B - Gold glove caliber 3B, that has plus power. Could play 2B as well. Will swing and miss with that high leg kick as timing will be an issue.

11. Nick Delmonico 3B* - Best HS bat in many years for O's? Hmmmm.

12. Glynn Davis CF - Speed, defense, and made solid contact often. I really like this kid.

13. Trent Mummey CF* - Would have been higher if not for injuries. He will rise in 2012.

14. Jaime Esquivel RHP - Young Matt Garza? I'll take it.

15. Eduardo Rodriguez LHP - Changes speeds well and seems to have an idea on the mound what he wants to do. Maybe a bit more velocity there in time.

16. Clayton Schrader RHP - Hard-throwing reliever with an attitude to be a closer. Have to watch his conditioning and mechanics.

17. Oliver Drake RHP - Stepped it up some. Going deeper in games with sinker and cutter vastly improved.

18. Mike Wright RHP - Knows how to pitch with solid sinker/slider. Struck out Rendon twice this year. Competitor.

19. David Baker RHP - Sleeper from a few years ago is healthy and making big strides after injury.

20. Greg Miclat 2B# - Smart, contact hitter with some speed and solid base running instincts. Improved at 2B and his arm plays well there.

21. Kyle Simon RHP - Another big fella with sinker/cutter and deceptive delivery. Good command.

22. Trent Howard LHP - Very solid command of four above average pitches. Changeup may be his out pitch.

23. Doug Henry RHP - Looks to be getting healthy and building strength. Could he start in 2012? I'd like to see it.

24. Cameron Coffey LHP - Also looks to be getting healthy. Could be on the move in 2012.

25. Mychal Givens SS/2B - Turned his season around at Aberdeen after being rushed a bit. I think he ends up at 3B, or maybe corner OF. I think he will hit for power and average. No way I give up on his bat.

26. Tim Berry LHP - Projectable, and recovered nicely from surgery. Building strength and was not overwhelmed in Delmarva.

27. Ryan Berry RHP - If he were healthy last year, he would have been higher. Still hoping we can see him stay healthy for a full season.

28. Tyler Townsend 1B* - Injuries and surprising lack of plate discipline just about have him off the list. He can mash when healthy, just a notch above Mahoney.

29. Joe Mahoney 1B* - Better overall stats than Townsend, and a level higher in Bowie. He needs to crush the ball this year and stay healthy, or be forgotten like Snyder.

30. Sebastian Vader RHP - Projectable kid from whom big things are expected down the road.

My top 30 is a bit different.

1. Machado

2. D. Bundy

3. Schoop

4. B. Bundy

5. Bridwell

6. Mummey

7. Adams

8. Schrader

9. Hoes

10. Avery

11. Klein

12. Delmonico

13. Espositio

14. G. Davis

15. D. Baker

16. M. Wright

17. Esquivel

18. Howard

19. Miclat

20. Givens

21. Simon

22. Henry

23. Drake

24. E. Rodriguez

25. Bywater

26. Coffey

27. T. Berry

28. J. Martin LHP - He's still raw, but it's there.

29. Miguel Chalas RHP - Lightning stuff

30. Troy Patton LHP - I liked what I saw of him in relief at ML level

Honorable Mention:

Mike Ohlman C, Wynston Sawyer C, Gabriel Lino C#, Rod Bernadina OF, Ty Wilson RHP, Brendon Webb OF*, Jason Gurka LHP, Ashur Tolliver LHP, Sebastian Vader RHP, Mark Blackmar RHP, John Ruetiger OF*.

Still have hope for:

Caleb Joseph C, Pedro Florimon SS#, Brandon Erbe RHP, Chorye Spoone RHP (as a reliever), Tyler Townsend 1B*, Joe Mahoney 1B*, Ronnie Welty OF, Matt Angle CF*, Sean Gleason RHP, Tim Bascom RHP, Kyle Hudson OF*.

Going to do something similar to hoosiers' thing and group them a bit, with some commentary as well.

1. Manny Machado

2. Dylan Bundy

3. Jonathan Schoop

This part is easy. I could see flipping Machado and Bundy, but I would disagree.

4. Bobby Bundy

5. Parker Bridwell

6. Jason Esposito

7. Nick Delmonico

8. Ryan Adams

9. LJ Hoes

I don't think Tony will have Bundy at 4, but I'll put him there because I think that's where he belongs. I think the Orioles made a mistake promoting him to Bowie as late as they did, and I think he should do much better there next season. Having seen Bridwell in person several times, I think the O's have something good with him. Gambling a bit on Esposito and Delmonico this high, but I think Esposito is advanced enough and Delmonico has a high enough ceiling that they belong here. Adams' bat is legit, and by several accounts his glove has improved significantly (he cut his errors in half this season as well). That bumps him above Hoes, who still hasn't developed that power and has now been moved off second.

10. Dan Klein

11. Glynn Davis

12. Eduardo Rodriguez

13. Gabriel Lino

14. Jaime Esquivel

15. Sebastian Vader

16. Roderick Bernadina

The theme here is guys who have shown something, but need to answer big questions. Klein has the labrum injury, Davis, Rodriguez, Lino, Bernadina, and Esquivel need to continue their success at higher levels.

17. Mike Wright

18. Xavier Avery

19. David Baker

20. Oliver Drake

21. Clayton Schrader

22. Joe Mahoney

23. Greg Miclat

Wright had easily the most impressive stuff of any of the 2011 draftees I saw at Aberdeen. I'm not sure I'm a believer in Avery any more; his K issues are not improving, he doesn't have a lot of power, and he doesn't walk much. I am a believer in Baker, but I'd like to see him continue to move through the system before I slot him any higher. Drake and Schrader could both make the majors, but as relievers, and probably setup guys at best. I like Mahoney a whole lot, but I don't think he'll ever hit enough to stick in the majors at 1B. Ditto for Miclat and 2B.

23. Trent Mummey

24. Randy Henry

25. Kyle Simon

26. Ryan Berry

27. Cameron Coffey

28. Tyler Wilson

29. Wynston Sawyer

30. Trent Howard

There are several guys in this section who I think could carve out major league careers as relievers. Coffey still has tons of upside, but I don't know how likely it is he reaches it any more. I'm probably a lot higher on Sawyer than most, and maybe that's because I saw him on a regular basis. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I don't know what to think of Mummey any more. I like him significantly more than Angle or Hudson if he's healthy, but he wasn't able to be healthy at all this year.

My list is coming from a different perspective. I am a mom of a player in the organization, so my information comes from watching quite a few games over the last couple of years. I have seen a lot of these guys with my own eyes more than once. And when I wasn't there, I listened everyday on-line. There are some that won't make sense, and maybe I just saw them on a good or bad day. But I also considered what I heard, which isn't always right either. And very mom-like of me I considered what some of them were like when I met them. Probably shouldn't weigh into the equation, but it does. There are quite a few very nice young men that work really hard in this organization. And just from what I have seen over our time, I feel like the Orioles move guys up probably a little sooner than they should, so anyone who played in the GCL for a whole season-plus with no injury or surgery I have a hard time putting high on my list. Just from personal experience, you can't get really excited about those GCL numbers. And D. Bundy is only 4 because he hasn't played a minute of professional baseball. I'm sure he should be higher, but that's just my silly thinking. And I am pretty sure my list will be a lot different than Tony's, but I'll still give it a shot.

1. Machado

2. B. Bundy

3. Schoop

4. D. Bundy

5. Hoes

6. Klein

7. Esposito

8. Bridwell

9. Schrader

10. Adams

11. Delmonico

12. Mummey

13. G. Davis

14. Wright

15. Drake

16. Townsend

17. Avery

18. Henry

19. Petit

20. R. Berry

21. Miclat

22. Simon

23. Beal

24. McCurry

25. Bernadina

26. T. Berry

27. Coffey

28. Mahoney

29. Joseph

30. J. Martin

Hon Men: E. Rodriguez, Ward, Vader, Hobgood, Baker, Gurka, Chalas, Esquivel, Lino.

Another tough year, after top 4, it all depends on what you may value more.

My stab at Tony's list:

1. Manny Machado SS - Top SS prospect in the minors.

2. Dylan Bundy RHP - Perhaps top pitching prospect in minors by June 2012.

3. Jon Schoop 2B/3B - Similar profile to Melvin Mora?

4. Parker Bridwell RHP - Raw, perhaps...but quite a ceiling. Very projectable.

5. LJ Hoes OF - Tony loves him some Hoes!

6. Ryan Adams 2B - Showed he can hit anywhere, glove seemed to improve too.

7. Bobby Bundy RHP - Tough minded bulldog who showed better comand and stuff two years in a row.

8. Xavier Avery CF* - Still very young and raw. Improving in all phases and may just be primed for a jump in 2012.

9. Dan Klein RHP - Would be much higher if not for injury. I still think they should get him to start, but keep innings down.

10. Jason Esposito 3B - Gold glove caliber 3B, that has plus power. Could play 2B as well. Will swing and miss with that high leg kick as timing will be an issue.

11. Nick Delmonico 3B* - Best HS bat in many years for O's? Hmmmm.

12. Glynn Davis CF - Speed, defense, and made solid contact often. I really like this kid.

13. Trent Mummey CF* - Would have been higher if not for injuries. He will rise in 2012.

14. Jaime Esquivel RHP - Young Matt Garza? I'll take it.

15. Eduardo Rodriguez LHP - Changes speeds well and seems to have an idea on the mound what he wants to do. Maybe a bit more velocity there in time.

16. Clayton Schrader RHP - Hard-throwing reliever with an attitude to be a closer. Have to watch his conditioning and mechanics.

17. Oliver Drake RHP - Stepped it up some. Going deeper in games with sinker and cutter vastly improved.

18. Mike Wright RHP - Knows how to pitch with solid sinker/slider. Struck out Rendon twice this year. Competitor.

19. David Baker RHP - Sleeper from a few years ago is healthy and making big strides after injury.

20. Greg Miclat 2B# - Smart, contact hitter with some speed and solid base running instincts. Improved at 2B and his arm plays well there.

21. Kyle Simon RHP - Another big fella with sinker/cutter and deceptive delivery. Good command.

22. Trent Howard LHP - Very solid command of four above average pitches. Changeup may be his out pitch.

23. Doug Henry RHP - Looks to be getting healthy and building strength. Could he start in 2012? I'd like to see it.

24. Cameron Coffey LHP - Also looks to be getting healthy. Could be on the move in 2012.

25. Mychal Givens SS/2B - Turned his season around at Aberdeen after being rushed a bit. I think he ends up at 3B, or maybe corner OF. I think he will hit for power and average. No way I give up on his bat.

26. Tim Berry LHP - Projectable, and recovered nicely from surgery. Building strength and was not overwhelmed in Delmarva.

27. Ryan Berry RHP - If he were healthy last year, he would have been higher. Still hoping we can see him stay healthy for a full season.

28. Tyler Townsend 1B* - Injuries and surprising lack of plate discipline just about have him off the list. He can mash when healthy, just a notch above Mahoney.

29. Joe Mahoney 1B* - Better overall stats than Townsend, and a level higher in Bowie. He needs to crush the ball this year and stay healthy, or be forgotten like Snyder.

30. Sebastian Vader RHP - Projectable kid from whom big things are expected down the road.

My top 30 is a bit different.

1. Machado

2. D. Bundy

3. Schoop

4. B. Bundy

5. Bridwell

6. Mummey

7. Adams

8. Schrader

9. Hoes

10. Avery

11. Klein

12. Delmonico

13. Espositio

14. G. Davis

15. D. Baker

16. M. Wright

17. Esquivel

18. Howard

19. Miclat

20. Givens

21. Simon

22. Henry

23. Drake

24. E. Rodriguez

25. Bywater

26. Coffey

27. T. Berry

28. J. Martin LHP - He's still raw, but it's there.

29. Miguel Chalas RHP - Lightning stuff

30. Troy Patton LHP - I liked what I saw of him in relief at ML level

Honorable Mention:

Mike Ohlman C, Wynston Sawyer C, Gabriel Lino C#, Rod Bernadina OF, Ty Wilson RHP, Brendon Webb OF*, Jason Gurka LHP, Ashur Tolliver LHP, Sebastian Vader RHP, Mark Blackmar RHP, John Ruetiger OF*.

Still have hope for:

Caleb Joseph C, Pedro Florimon SS#, Brandon Erbe RHP, Chorye Spoone RHP (as a reliever), Tyler Townsend 1B*, Joe Mahoney 1B*, Ronnie Welty OF, Matt Angle CF*, Sean Gleason RHP, Tim Bascom RHP, Kyle Hudson OF*.

I don't think Patton is a rookie any longer.

He only has 43.1 innings in his career. I thought the rookie cutoff was 50 innings? And I don't believe he has more than 45 days on the major league 25 man roster when 25 is the roster limit. Maybe I am wrong?

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/about_mlb/rules_regulations.jsp

Patton was recalled on July 16th and minus a day stint on the Restricted List, he spent the rest of the season with the Orioles.

He only has 43.1 innings in his career. I thought the rookie cutoff was 50 innings? And I don't believe he has more than 45 days on the major league 25 man roster when 25 is the roster limit. Maybe I am wrong?

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/about_mlb/rules_regulations.jsp

I think he has the 45 days. 5 days in 2007, 7 says in 2010, 34 days in 2011. That;s 46 days. http://tsn.ca/mlb/teams/players/bio/?id=5087

Archived