Orioles at least scouting Darvish

VeveJones007

I imagine relationships hold some level of importance in Japan. Seeing how John has been scouting over there for some time, and has been scouting Darvish specifically since 2008, perhaps it makes sense. Or....

maybe the Orioles are just a really screwed up organization

John is much better suited than Dave for the job, so that would suggest they aren't as screwed up as one might think. The less responsibilty Dave gets the better IMO.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another way Japanese culture is different is that they still have some pretty serious strains of xenophobia and prejudice towards people, like Darvish, who are not 100% pure Japanese. Obviously that hasn't stopped him from becoming a celebrity and very popular so perhaps those attitudes are finally starting to change -- or perhaps it is like a lot of the US was in the 60s and 70s where there were starting to be a lot of African American celebrities who got good treatment but a lot of white Americans still wouldn't "want one living next door". I don't know. But it is certainly possible that he might be more willing to leave Japan because of such attitudes, or perhaps because his father is not Japanese, he is not as ingrained in the hierarchichal culture that you describe.

All of the above is PURE SPECULATION on my part, I realize, but I thought it might be a worthwhile counterpoint to yours.

Almost completely worthless IMO.

So, realistically, the Orioles could bid 100 million dollars, with no intent of signing him, just to keep him away from NY or Bos, and not lose a dime if they don't sign him. I guess that would hurt future relations on the O's chances to sign japanese players.
I don't believe there is an obligation on the part of the Japanese team to accept the highest bid. If we did something like that we might have a hard time ever having a bid accepted again.

The beauty is he doesn't have a choice. Whoever posts the highest blind bid wins his rights for 6 years, he has no say-so.

I don't think that is correct. Iwakuma posted last year, didn't sign, and now can come to the US and play for who he wants.

I hadn't read anything about 6 years.

I don't think that is correct. Iwakuma posted last year, didn't sign, and now can come to the US and play for who he wants.

I hadn't heard of that either. That would mean, even once Darvish's contract in Japan is up, he wouldn't be free to sign with any US team he wanted.

There is nothing about 6 years. A player has to request to be posted and his team can grant or refuse that request.. His team can refuse the highest bid if they deem it too small. If the MLB club fails to sign the player within 30 days, the rights to the player revert back to his NPB team. He may request to be posted the following year but he has no gaurantee it will be granted. He doesn't become a true free agent until 9 years of service time with ihis NPB club. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_system

I thought it was outright whoever won the bid owned his MLB rights. I was wrong. It's just a posting fee in order to get an exclusive 30 day window to negotiate. If they don't sign the rights revert back to the NPB team and they can be posted again later. Iwakuma would be free to sign with someone this year if he isn't posted, but that is up to his NPB team. I was thinking the 6 years is the service time thing as all rookies have.

I disagree.

What was the fallout with iwakuma for not signing last year?

He was the only example of a player who didn't sign of the 15 players who have been posted. And his service time is up this year so he can be a FA I believe. And you need to read up on the posting rules because you are mistaken about how it works.

He was the only example of a player who didn't sign of the 15 players who have been posted. And his service time is up this year so he can be a FA I believe. And you need to read up on the posting rules because you are mistaken about how it works.

I am aware of how the posting system works. Show me where I've been wrong about it. I asked what the fallout was with iwakuma because you made that post about Yu hypothetically not signing and the pressure that goes along with that in Japanese culture. We have an example of that happening, I was asking if you came across any information that would support your claim.

I am aware of how the posting system works. Show me where I've been wrong about it. I asked what the fallout was with iwakuma because you made that post about Yu hypothetically not signing and the pressure that goes along with that in Japanese culture. We have an example of that happening, I was asking if you came across any information that would support your claim.

Careful, he is about to break out the bologna gif.

Careful, he is about to break out the bologna gif.

Whoa, let me be clear. Iwakuma can play for who he wants because of his service time, not because he posted and didn't sign. If he had, let's say five years of experience, he'd be able to be part of the posting system. My point was that he's not under control of the a's for six years.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/6824062/hisashi-iwakuma-japan-readies-mlb-hiring-new-agent

Whoa, let me be clear. Iwakuma can play for who he wants because of his service time, not because he posted and didn't sign. If he had, let's say five years of experience, he'd be able to be part of the posting system. My point was that he's not under control of the a's for six years.

Sorry I meant that Gordo tends to resort to tricks when he falls behind in an argument.

As for the double quoting you, the first was a mistake, I was going to get involved earlier and hit multi=quote and I missed that it was there.

"Iwakuma posted last year, didn't sign, and now can come to the US and play for who he wants."

This makes it sound as if being a Free Agent next year is a consquence of his turning down Oakland's offer and returning to Japan. If he is a FA next year it is because his service time is up, and is in no way related to the posting process. The fact that of all Japanes players posted he is the only one to turn down an offer is indicative of the difficulty of doing so. When Matsuzaka was negotiating with Boston this pressure to sign was frequently acknowledged. If the team accepts the bid the player is expected to come to an agreement. This is part of Japanese ideas about negotiating. Also the player is considered subserviant to the team's wishes. I refer you to the source I posted earlier about the cultural differences between Japanese basball and the MLB.

Archived