Orioles at least scouting Darvish

VeveJones007

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whoa, let me be clear. Iwakuma can play for who he wants because of his service time, not because he posted and didn't sign. If he had, let's say five years of experience, he'd be able to be part of the posting system. My point was that he's not under control of the a's for six years.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/6824062/hisashi-iwakuma-japan-readies-mlb-hiring-new-agent

Yeah that was my fault, I was thinking when the posting was settled that player became under team control. I didn't realize it was only a 30 day negotiating window. If they don't resign they can be re-posted indefinitely, and if they have less than 9 years NPB time, they can't just come over anytime. My fault...I seem to have started a battle royal over being too lazy to look up the posting rules.

Yeah that was my fault, I was thinking when the posting was settled that player became under team control. I didn't realize it was only a 30 day negotiating window. If they don't resign they can be re-posted indefinitely, and if they have less than 9 years NPB time, they can't just come over anytime. My fault...I seem to have started a battle royal over being too lazy to look up the posting rules.

You're good, man. You're not the one saying people's posts are worthless.

And, honestly, these rules are likely to change over time as it's not ideal for any party.

I've met Darvish a couple times and once briefly met his father who is the marketing mind behind Yu. From what I have discussed with our team out here, he is likely going to go to MLB, but he may wait one more year. He has pretty nasty stuff and all the American's I talk to playing in Japan think he can make it in MLB. People say he will make the transition better than Dice K, who was back in Japan for a couple nights earlier this week. I spent an evening with him, some colleagues and family of his. Nice guy, his arm is feeling good and he's throwing from 50ft on flat ground right now. Not sure anyone here cares, but fyi.

I will be on the NPB circuit and will watch Darvish pitch again this year, I will be down on the field so will look for John S and go say hello if I see him. Talk some baseball with him and see if he has any interesting tidbits.

I am glad they are scouting him...I am glad they know who he is.

But there wouldn't be a more shocking signing, in all of MLB, than the Orioles winning the posting fee and paying his contract.

Pujols could sign with Tampa for 250M and it wouldn't be more surprising than this.

That's really cool. If you don't mind, name drop the Americans you've spoken to.

Any idea of who else they may be scouting over there?

I've met Darvish a couple times and once briefly met his father who is the marketing mind behind Yu. From what I have discussed with our team out here, he is likely going to go to MLB, but he may wait one more year. He has pretty nasty stuff and all the American's I talk to playing in Japan think he can make it in MLB. People say he will make the transition better than Dice K, who was back in Japan for a couple nights earlier this week. I spent an evening with him, some colleagues and family of his. Nice guy, his arm is feeling good and he's throwing from 50ft on flat ground right now. Not sure anyone here cares, but fyi.

I will be on the NPB circuit and will watch Darvish pitch again this year, I will be down on the field so will look for John S and go say hello if I see him. Talk some baseball with him and see if he has any interesting tidbits.

I'd be speculating on who they're scouting. Some of the scouts will off the record tell you, but because of I believe tampering rules and also to still be welcome at the stadiums and by the teams, they are a bit hush hush on who exactly their looking at. You'll see plenty of scouts at a Nippon Ham game when Darvish is pitching. It's no secret who they're watching.

Americans I know over here of the top of my head, Dennis Sarfate, Randy Messenger, Craig Brazell, Brian Barden, Brian Bullington, Josh Whitesell, Matt Murton, Jason Stanbridge, Darrell Rasner, Josh Fields, Bill Murphy... I haven't met all the Americans, but many of them.

The ex-O's have told me lots about their experiences in B-more, but I don't want to put too much out there on this. They trust me and I need to be careful because of my job and my relationship with them. Some are buddies, not just work contacts.

I'd be speculating on who they're scouting. Some of the scouts will off the record tell you, but because of I believe tampering rules and also to still be welcome at the stadiums and by the teams, they are a bit hush hush on who exactly their looking at. You'll see plenty of scouts at a Nippon Ham game when Darvish is pitching. It's no secret who they're watching.

Americans I know over here of the top of my head, Dennis Sarfate, Randy Messenger, Craig Brazell, Brian Barden, Brian Bullington, Josh Whitesell, Matt Murton, Jason Stanbridge, Darrell Rasner, Josh Fields, Bill Murphy... I haven't met all the Americans, but many of them.

The ex-O's have told me lots about their experiences in B-more, but I don't want to put too much out there on this. They trust me and I need to be careful because of my job and my relationship with them. Some are buddies, not just work contacts.

I read somewhere that Darvish was getting bored with pitching in the NPB because the competition was so lame. Anything to that? Why would he wait till next season? The market will be more competitive then.

I read somewhere that Darvish was getting bored with pitching in the NPB because the competition was so lame. Anything to that? Why would he wait till next season? The market will be more competitive then.

He is Japanese (and Iranian) so I don't think he would ever classify the competition as lame. I do believe he wants to compete at the MLB level. It's hard to describe, but Japanese look at things completely different than Americans, so it's hard to understand the way he would see things and his desires.

He has been dominating over here, so I believe that what I think you mean is correct, which is that he's ready for a new challenge; MLB.

That being said, again, he is Japanese and looks at things differently. He wants to make sure he is ready to compete and also has advisors (his Dad being the biggest I believe) who want not just for him to come to the US and have success, but to make Darvish a brand and for him to represent Japan and Iran in the MLB/USA. This is just my opinion and it is hard to convey, but I think he wants the timing to be right. What factors are involved in that exactly, I don't know. My opinion would be that he would come this year, perhaps he is 80% sure, I don't know, but a lot goes into the decision, beyond just the posting and players desire to pitch in MLB. I wish I knew more, but his English isn't real good, he's very superstitious on games he's going to pitch, so has been hard to talk to him (most, but not all, of the times I've spoken to him have been before a game he's going to pitch on the field or in the clubhouse) and lastly, my Japanese is in it's beginning stages, so surely a lot is lost in translation.

He is Japanese (and Iranian) so I don't think he would ever classify the competition as lame. I do believe he wants to compete at the MLB level. It's hard to describe, but Japanese look at things completely different than Americans, so it's hard to understand the way he would see things and his desires.

He has been dominating over here, so I believe that what I think you mean is correct, which is that he's ready for a new challenge; MLB.

That being said, again, he is Japanese and looks at things differently. He wants to make sure he is ready to compete and also has advisors (his Dad being the biggest I believe) who want not just for him to come to the US and have success, but to make Darvish a brand and for him to represent Japan and Iran in the MLB/USA. This is just my opinion and it is hard to convey, but I think he wants the timing to be right. What factors are involved in that exactly, I don't know. My opinion would be that he would come this year, perhaps he is 80% sure, I don't know, but a lot goes into the decision, beyond just the posting and players desire to pitch in MLB. I wish I knew more, but his English isn't real good, he's very superstitious on games he's going to pitch, so has been hard to talk to him (most, but not all, of the times I've spoken to him have been before a game he's going to pitch on the field or in the clubhouse) and lastly, my Japanese is in it's beginning stages, so surely a lot is lost in translation.

Thanks that is very helpful. I hope you keep posting here(pun intended). You are in a unique position to give us some clarity regarding Yu.

Yu Darvish has the potential to be an elite starter. This guy is no Dice K, actually he has smart people around him who have navigated him clear of many of the pitfalls that Dice befell. He has not been overused as Dice K was. Mentally I think he has been better prepared for the transition and frankly in terms of pure pitching ability, Yu Darvish is superior to Dice K. This kid has a fastball, sinker, curve and slider. He can throw any of them for strikes at will and they are all nasty with good life. He pitches aggresively and gets after hitters. Last but not least he is only 25 y.o

Greatness requires risk. To make big strides in an environment like the AL East your gonna have to take some risks. Think of rotation that would feature Darvish, Dylan Bundy, Britton ..... thats a foundation of a rotation that if surrounded by decent offensive talent, could make a playoff run in a couple years. Not only that but it is also a foundation that is young ....not to shabby.

Yu Darvish has the potential to be an elite starter. This guy is no Dice K, actually he has smart people around him who have navigated him clear of many of the pitfalls that Dice befell. He has not been overused as Dice K was. Mentally I think he has been better prepared for the transition and frankly in terms of pure pitching ability, Yu Darvish is superior to Dice K. This kid has a fastball, sinker, curve and slider. He can throw any of them for strikes at will and they are all nasty with good life. He pitches aggresively and gets after hitters. Last but not least he is only 25 y.o

Greatness requires risk. To make big strides in an environment like the AL East your gonna have to take some risks. Think of rotation that would feature Darvish, Dylan Bundy, Britton ..... thats a foundation of a rotation that if surrounded by decent offensive talent, could make a playoff run in a couple years. Not only that but it is also a foundation that is young ....not to shabby.

I think Darvish is to Japanese SP's, as Ichiro was to position players, except Darvish will be younger than Ichiro when he comes to the MLB.

I trust you in your analysis of Darvish but the hype around Dice K was absurd as well...unhittable gyro pitch blah, blah, blah...So I tend to take some of this stuff with a grain of salt. Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus has described Darvish as a #2 type though I think most are putting him in the elite category. The hardest thing seems to be determining where this guy will settle in as a pitcher once the dust settles and everyone is finished with the crazy buildup.

Archived