Orioles at least scouting Darvish

VeveJones007

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't find Darvish's BB rates in Japan but I believe he is a better control pitcher than DiceK was...and he has the rest of the dominating stats to go with it.

Baseball Reference has NPB stats. But they don't include the current season.

He is Japanese (and Iranian) so I don't think he would ever classify the competition as lame. I do believe he wants to compete at the MLB level. It's hard to describe, but Japanese look at things completely different than Americans, so it's hard to understand the way he would see things and his desires.

He has been dominating over here, so I believe that what I think you mean is correct, which is that he's ready for a new challenge; MLB.

That being said, again, he is Japanese and looks at things differently. He wants to make sure he is ready to compete and also has advisors (his Dad being the biggest I believe) who want not just for him to come to the US and have success, but to make Darvish a brand and for him to represent Japan and Iran in the MLB/USA. This is just my opinion and it is hard to convey, but I think he wants the timing to be right. What factors are involved in that exactly, I don't know. My opinion would be that he would come this year, perhaps he is 80% sure, I don't know, but a lot goes into the decision, beyond just the posting and players desire to pitch in MLB. I wish I knew more, but his English isn't real good, he's very superstitious on games he's going to pitch, so has been hard to talk to him (most, but not all, of the times I've spoken to him have been before a game he's going to pitch on the field or in the clubhouse) and lastly, my Japanese is in it's beginning stages, so surely a lot is lost in translation.

Thanks for your insights. Please continue to post.

I couldn't justify paying the posting fee if there's even a 1% chance Darvish doesn't sign. Based on this information, it's far too much of a risk for an organization like the O's.
If he doesn't sign there's no risk at all. The risk would be if he did sign then he would have to be worth at least 4/100M.

Does anyone know what the park effects for the Japanese ballparks are like? Are they mostly pitchers parks? Hitters parks?

I can't remember...I know this has been discussed on here before.

Here's an article from 2008 discussing this... Link.

So, there are bandbox stadiums in the CL, but there is no such thing in the PL where parks are modern with MLB dimensions but have higher walls. Interesting factors to consider when translating NPB player performances into MLB equivalencies (there are 24 interleague games each season now, 2 games each home and away, so PL teams get to play a few games in those small CL parks.)

Does anyone know what the park effects for the Japanese ballparks are like? Are they mostly pitchers parks? Hitters parks?

I can't remember...I know this has been discussed on here before.

I don't know about park effects but I know they used to play a lot of small ball (circa '96-'98). I watched them on TV when I was stationed in Japan.

Here's a couple of interesting MFY related links on Darvish, Darvish vs Dice-K, and Darvish vs Wilson. Plus some video. One guy crunches some numbers and says the if Darvish' numbers eroded as much as Dice-K's from NPB to MLB he would be on average:

195 IP 165 H 74R 72 ER 12 HR 104 BB 177 K's 6 WP 0 BK 3.40 RA 3.31 ERA 3.78 FIP

http://www.yankeeanalysts.com/2011/10/which-free-agent-starter-should-the-yankees-pursue-part-ii-yu-darvish-edition-35521

http://www.rlyhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjfZB_ANFP4w.net/index.php/RLYW/direct/should_the_yankees_make_a_play_for_yu_darvish

Darvish 2 seamer :

Darvish forkball:

Darvish a whole bunch of K's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIUeoBrqjHk

Archived