Explain something to me...

Pedro Cerrano

Aside from the Temple debacle (which I'm willing write off as a let down after two emotional games to start), the Terps have beaten Miami and gone down to the wire against three teams that are much more talented in WVU, Clemson and Ga Tech, two of which were in the top 10 when we played them. This isn't an easy schedule and yes, our record sucks, but the "Fire Edsall" chants bewilder me.

For those that want Edsall gone, other than Temple, did you expect to have won any of the games we've lost so far?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They didn't lose to Temple. They got crushed by Temple.

They struggled against Towson, coached by a former assistant.

Edsall tried to pound a square quarterback into a round offense, and when that didn't work, decided to bench that player (reigning ACC Rookie of the Year and already extremely popular) for an unknown one whose only weapon is his legs. Then continues to try and throw the ball.

Questionable management of players on the roster. Questionable play calling.

All of this magnified by replacing a popular coach who many believe received a raw deal in his ouster.

Did I miss anything?

Gee' date=' that makes last night's choke job feel so much better.[/quote']

Not saying you're supposed to feel good about what happened, but if you're gonna kill Edsall for choking a game away against an elite team you have to at least give him credit for actually being in the game. You can't have it both ways if you're going to be objective about this.

The bottom line is, we've been in 3 games that a lot of people thought we had no business being in, and we're an extremely young team. Yes the record is bad but I think the chants for Randy's head are extremely pre-mature.

As for defending Fridge, he went 2-10 the year before that in the worst season of MD football in recent history. I wouldn't have even given him another year to right the ship in the first place.

As for defending Fridge, he went 2-10 the year before that in the worst season of MD football in recent history. I wouldn't have even given him another year to right the ship in the first place.

Friedgen also looked at the talent on the roster he inherited in 2001, put those guys in a position to succeed, went 10-1 and won the ACC Championship. I obviously didn't expect those exact results out of Edsall this season, but couldn't he at least utilize the talents of the players he inherited instead of alienating them?

Friedgen also looked at the talent on the roster he inherited in 2001' date=' put those guys in a position to succeed, went 10-1 and won the ACC Championship. I obviously didn't expect those exact results out of Edsall this season, but couldn't he at least utilize the talents of the players he inherited instead of alienating them?[/quote']

Who has he alienated? DOB didn't look alienated to me, he was on the sideline last night, enthusiastic, helping to call plays. There's a slight chance he recognizes that he was benched because he hasn't played well.

Look, Edsall put the team in a position to win last night. They were up big on a Clemson team. This seems to not resonate with you...at all.

Instead you focus on blowing the lead against an elite team that 99% of the country thought was going to win anyway. That's fine, but I think some credit needs to be given. Again, other than Temple, we've been in every game. I'd rather not be 2-5 but it's not like we're going out there and getting our tails kicked in and something tells me, with the way DOB has been playing, that we wouldn't have been in the game last night with him under center.

Who has he alienated? DOB didn't look alienated to me, he was on the sideline last night, enthusiastic, helping to call plays. There's a slight chance he recognizes that he was benched because he hasn't played well.

Look, Edsall put the team in a position to win last night. They were up big on a Clemson team. This seems to not resonate with you...at all.

Instead you focus on blowing the lead against an elite team that 99% of the country thought was going to win anyway. That's fine, but I think some credit needs to be given. Again, other than Temple, we've been in every game. I'd rather not be 2-5 but it's not like we're going out there and getting our tails kicked in and something tells me, with the way DOB has been playing, that we wouldn't have been in the game last night with him under center.

O'Brien is a high-character kid, so I'm sure he will put the team first and not let his real feelings show on national television. Props to him for that. But he didn't go from the player we saw last season to what he's been so far by himself.....I'm not buying that at all. He's just not a fit for this offense, and I don't think it's his fault that a bunch of coaches that he never signed up to play for forced it on him. And forced Kenny Tate to move out of position. And moved the best power-RB to the team to the bench for no good reason. Edsall hasn't alienated players? Are you kidding? That's not how you put kids in position to succeed. For 3 quarters they hung with Clemson using smoke-and-mirrors and a fast kid disguised as a QB, and I am surprised it lasted that long, but maybe if he actually took advantage of the talent he inherited they could have closed the deal. I would at least like to have seen the outcome of that.

O'Brien is a high-character kid' date=' so I'm sure he will put the team first and not let his real feelings show on national television. Props to him for that. But he didn't go from the player we saw last season to what he's been so far by himself.....I'm not buying that at all. He's just not a fit for this offense, and I don't think it's his fault that a bunch of coaches that he never signed up to play for forced it on him. And forced Kenny Tate to move out of position. And moved the best power-RB to the team to the bench for no good reason. Edsall hasn't alienated players? Are you kidding? That's not how you put kids in position to succeed. For 3 quarters they hung with Clemson using smoke-and-mirrors and a fast kid disguised as a QB, and I am surprised it lasted that long, but maybe if he actually took advantage of the talent he inherited they could have closed the deal. I would at least like to have seen the outcome of that.[/quote']

How do you know about these personnel moves and what brought them on? He forced Tate to move? He benched the power RB for no good reason? He forced an offense on DOB? How do you know any of this stuff? Or are you just making blind assumptions because it helps your argument?

So, the Terps got the lead using "smoke and mirrors" (basically not giving the coaching staff credit for any of it by saying that), but then when the lead is blown it's all their fault.

Ok.

How do you know about these personnel moves and what brought them on? He forced Tate to move? He benched the power RB for no good reason? He forced an offense on DOB? How do you know any of this stuff? Or are you just making blind assumptions because it helps your argument?

So, the Terps got the lead using "smoke and mirrors" (basically not giving the coaching staff credit for any of it by saying that), but then when the lead is blown it's all their fault.

Ok.

I don't think DOB woke up one morning and said "I want to run an offense that doesn't suit my skills." I don't think Kenny Tate thought to himself "I could be drafted as a safety in the NFL, but I'd rather try to play LB." And DJ Adams certainly didn't say "I like it on the bench." Hell yeah the coaches forced it on them. They're the ones in charge. They make the decisions, not the players.

I don't think DOB woke up one morning and said "I want to run an offense that doesn't suit my skills." I don't think Kenny Tate thought to himself "I could be drafted as a safety in the NFL' date=' but I'd rather try to play LB." And DJ Adams certainly didn't say "I like it on the bench." Hell yeah the coaches forced it on them. They're the ones in charge. They make the decisions, not the players.[/quote']

This is all fair, and I don't disagree with any of it, what I disagree is the way you're framing how it happened. I highly doubt Edsall went in there and said "my way or the highway, you guys are doing this."

I imagine that if any of them had strenuously objected to what was happening (other than Adams obviously) that the changes wouldn't have happened.

This is all fair, and I don't disagree with any of it, what I disagree is the way you're framing how it happened. I highly doubt Edsall went in there and said "my way or the highway, you guys are doing this."

I imagine that if any of them had strenuously objected to what was happening (other than Adams obviously) that the changes wouldn't have happened.

And in all fairness, you could be right as well. Or maybe the players went along reluctantly to try and win favor with the new staff? Only they know. But the results have been nothing short of disappointing. And the way Edsall has handled much of the transition has been infuriating to me and I have little optimism for the future of the program.

Archived